Notify
Tools

Venison Roast...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
...it's what's for dinner.

Salt roast liberally and bring to room temperature.

Pat dry. Rub with olive oil, sprinkle pepper, grarlic and onion powder.

Drizzle a little red wine in the bottom of the roasting pan just to moisten the bottom of the pan.

Place roast on a bed of celerly stocks and roast in a pre-heated 350 oven for ~ 20 minutes per lb or until center reaches 105.

Pull from oven. Crank oven to 450. When oven reaches 450 pop the roast back in until center reaches 115.

Pull roast and let sit uncovered for 10 minutes and carve.

I like all my venison slightly above rare. If your guests like it more well done. Carve some pieces and pan sear them slightly.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Mike
That looks great ! when its rare it is still tender and juicy, when overcooked it just gets tougher and drier.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Food for the Gods.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Anyone hungry?
I’m ...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Does nothing for me tonight, because,
For the second night in a row, we had Elk tenderloin medallions grilled to perfection, fresh picked wild asparagus grilled in butter, salad, and a bit of baked potato!
Yuumm !!!
Darn,there is only one elk tenderloin left so I may have to go shoot another elk soon.
Like next month.
They are considered exotics in Texas. Smiler

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
CR,

If your passing thru ID let me know.

I got elk, antelope, mule deer, and moose left in the freezer.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

That needs some cooking yet!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Mmm, looks delicious! I always grill the roasts and get them at the same finish as your oven. Can't beat the rare to medium rare with venison.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Mmm, looks delicious! I always grill the roasts and get them at the same finish as your oven. Can't beat the rare to medium rare with venison.

My outdoor kitchen has a charcoal BBQ grill with an electric rotisserie; THAT is the only way to go! I make mine about as rare as you.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just a little more time, but it don't need anymore heat.
I like a touch of a grey ring inside the crusted outside.

I been saving a bone in 2 sided foot long chunk of back strap to brine then run through the smoker for about an hour.
I have been trying to figure out how to pull it off when I'm the only one home since everyone will see it brining in the fridge, and 2 foot of back strap cooked that way just ain't enough for more than 1.5 people.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
That looks good. This takes a little longer but give it a try. Take Backstrap or Tenderloin and cut in four by five sections that are 1/2 thick. Tenderize with mallet, fork or electric machine.

Cover in olive oil and lightly fry for two minutes each side.

Put in a pot with four cups of cream of mushroom,1/2 stick of butter, two pounds potatoes and two onions. Let it cook on low for a few hours. Meat will be so tender that you can cut it with a plastic spoon. Serve over home made butter biscuits.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
It doesnt get much better then that Mike, YUM!

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm salivating! That looks absolutely delicious!

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Best big game cookbook I have ever found:

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I eat elk or deer at least 4 or 5 times a week..My cardiologist demands it, beef only once a week..sometimes I cheat on the beef. but I like Lamb chops, kid goat, and some pork to off set the lack of beef..and its not a problem as I was raised on venison, mostly coues and Mule deer. I remember in the 1940s and earl 195s0 dad came in and said, cow prices are down and hunters are paying $25. a day to hunt deer, we are going to eat more beef now..It took me and my brother a year to develop a taste for that greasy nasty beef!! but we did get past that in time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I eat elk or deer at least 4 or 5 times a week..My cardiologist demands it, beef only once a week..sometimes I cheat on the beef. but I like Lamb chops, kid goat, and some pork to off set the lack of beef..and its not a problem as I was raised on venison, mostly coues and Mule deer. I remember in the late 1930s and earl 1940 dad came in and said, cow prices are down and hunters are paying $25. a day to hunt deer, we eat more beef now..It took me and my brother a year to develop a taste for that greasy nasty beef!! but we did get past that in time..

Had deer meat tonight; fried in a pan with butter and sprinkled with tarragon. Much better than the fancy place last where steaks were $45 and there was no salt on the table, and there was no option to drink your beer Texas style (straight out of the bottle).

We don't eat any beef at all. Do like lamb chops and BBQ pork ribs. Friday night it will be mahi mahi we caught in Mexico last summer.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Venison cut thin and quick fried in butter, I like it Guisado style with tortillas. and breaded and fried, fried and simmAered in gravy with biscuits ranch style.....Not crazy aoout roasts and hamburger with deer, but its fine with elk, I can eat elk about anyway its cooked..Spegetti, chili, tocos, meat enchiladas, Hamburgers, and meatloaf..whatever and I don't add beef fat to my elk..

We eat game meat very basic, no fancy ricipes, no French chef locally thank goodness! tu2

My wife being a ranch girl can cook game meat to perfection. She is famous locally for her game cooking..Her Mexican is second to none..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly looks good enough to eat!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
This deer as you can see from the pics was very fat from eating in the Ag fields. I bet he had a 3/4 layer of fat on him in the thick spots.

Look at the rolls of fat on his neck.

Without a doubt the best tasting deer I have ever eaten.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tenderize with mallet, fork or electric machine.

Eeker I have never had to do that to any game meat.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The only sauces I like on game are red wine reduction with juices from the pan seared meat.

My feeling is as soon as you start putting heavy sauces you start to lose the flavor of the wild game.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Just finished dinner of Axis roast, grilled fresh picked asparagus, seasoned mashed potatoes, an exotic bread, chased with fresh cut strawberries. Yummy!

I have no idea of the recipe as the ladies do all the cooking here on the farm; I just work and eat. Smiler could be worse!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Having been a long time bachelor, I learned to cook.

I found women loved to have somebody cook for them.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Having been a long time bachelor, I learned to cook.

I found women loved to have somebody cook for them.
Mike, I agree!

Some 40 (or more!) years ago, the (now) husband of my cousin was smitten by her. He was an avid outdoorsman. His passion was backpacking and he was a member of his county's Mountain Rescue Unit. My cousin, who was smitten with him, had never done anything outdoor-ish.

Jim went to his MRU team leader and asked him how best to get the love of his life to venture into the wilds, carrying a heavy pack at altitude above 10,000 feet and sleeping in a tent for days at a time.

Bud's advice was simple: "Keep her warm and don't ask her to cook."

Jim did the cooking, and it worked. They backpacked together for decades and are still together.

JFWIW . . . women (and my wife is one) do like men who cook.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote