New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes a good sling?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been looking for a decent sling lately and I've been pretty disappointed with what I've found. Could you guys tell me about the one's your happy with?
If anyone has a source for Sako Finnlight magazines I could use that info too.
Thanks,
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Check out Galco; the Ching Sling and Ching Safari Sling work. There are others as well.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
My current favorite is Brownell's "Latigo". Superb quality and function in all respects! All proper slings are of the shooting type and made of real leather. The cobra style is a joke.....

www.brownells.com

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling. It is nylon with a strip of some rubber/leather like material sewn on the inside. That keeps it from slipping.

I know it is not leather, and I like leather, but it is very durable, light, quiet and weather resistant. I have a brown one and a black one. I just throw one on the rifle I will be using. Usually it is my composite stalker.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Latigo sling does have the advantage of being easily adjustable for length. If that is less of an issue, I like the "Whelen" slings - less complicated than the 2-piece military, but as good for shooting with sling support. I get mine from Lock Stock & Barrel

Almost any good leather sling takes a good deal of work before it becomes mallable enough to use with pleasure. I apply some dubbin, and knead the sh*t of it until it gets soft enough to meet with my approval. They get better with the years, probably getting wet also helps, provided enough grease is available to avoid the leather from drying out.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
This may be redundant to the Latigo, but I found that the leather carry straps that Remington equipped their rifles with work great. I find them at Numrich or Gun Parts Corp. They run $9.95 the last time I bought one. For me, a big issue is staying put on my shoulder, and being usable for a shot. Cobra's are worthless on both accounts, and the nylon slings slip and slide horribly. The only nylon sling I have found that I can stand is Uncle Mike's, which has a "bounce" or stretch section to it. It stays put and makes carrying a 9 lb rifle painless. There's my 2 pennies worth!

Posts: 593 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Quake Claw strap for a while and really like it. Of course I'm biased because its made locally and wouldn't have one if it wasn't provided as a "sample".

On a classic rifle only a leather Latigo will do, IMHO. However, on my old beat up 700ADL the Quake Claw is just fine. The rubber is injection molded right on the webbing and it sticks like glue to your shoulder, no matter what you are wearing.

I've got a Butler Creek neoprene/elastic one and its fine on a varmint rifle. The elastic quickly become brittle and it soaks up water like a sponge however.

The people who own Quake used to help run Butler Creek long ago, so they learned what to and not to do with many of their products.

Butler Creek no longer really exists, having been bought by Micheals of Oregon and, as expected, the production quickly brought over to China and about 60 or so people out of work. Got to make it cheap and stack it deep for Cabelas and WalMart!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote