New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does any body out there have direct experience with the M695 Tikka rifle? I am considering buying the stainless all weather in 338 Win. and was wondering about the accuracy and reliability of the M695 model line. Any advice would be appreciated.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Yes, the Tikka is a superb rifle....probably one of the best there is for the money. They are made by Sako of Finnland and they are well known for accuracy and quality. My only complaint with them is the palm swell they have in their stocks....some like it and some don't. If you like the feel of this rig, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the results.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Got one in 280. Doesn't foul at all, shoots XLC's into 1.3" (five) and matchkings into 1.1". That's with me driving it, understand. The synthetic stock isn't "sexy", but all in all, it is a smooth, functional, balanced, accurate, easy to shoot firearm. Kinda like a collie I had. Looks great, does the job intended perfectly, but light on "personality". FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<monyhunter>
posted
I bought a Tikka in 7mm rem mag this summer. Spent all summer working up loads for it. So far this year I have taken two deer with off hand shots, one being about 150-180 yards.

As far as accuracy goes my rifle seams to shoot some bullets very well, and other it will not shoot worth a darn. Bullets that work are:

Barnes 140 XLC = most all group under 1 inch will all powders I have tried. I used this bullet for my hunting.
Hornady 139 = This will do about 1.5", have not worked much with it
Nosler 140 Ball tip = can't seam to get this one to shoot bad. Everything has been under one inch with lowest being about .3
Sierra 160 HPBT GK = This bullet flat out sucks. Nothing under 1.5 and most over that

As far as the rifle goes I love this thing. It fits me very well and pulls up straight. Shooting this along side of my brothers Ruger 7mm rem mag I have found that the barrel does not heat up as fast, and the recoil is much less. I don't know about fowling, but it does not take long to clean the gun. One huge plus is the trigger. Mine is at 3 pounds right out of the box. Very crisp and clean pull.

I don't know what others have used for scope mounts, but I used the $2 weaver bases and $20 Millet rings. Very stable set up in my opinion. Don't spend the money for the Tikka rings, you don't need to.

This winter I am going to work on some loads for long distance shooting. I want to see what it will do at 300-400 yards.

Hope this helps. This is a great gun, especially for the money.

------------------
Monyhunter

One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
I have a 695 stainless synthetic in 30-06 and am very pleased with it. I find it is very smooth and cycles rounds as slick as most guns are when running dry. It has shot a variety of factory and handloads very well. As for being a push feed as opposed to controlled feed I can shuck a magazine empty with the gun help upside down.
I also bought a model 595 in 22-250 and find it is also excellent.
Remember they are push feed (if that is important to you) and they do have non metal parts on the trigger guard and magazine.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
I have owned quite a few Tikka Rifles. Personal opinion on all of the rifles I have owned from that company, which is actually part of SAKO, therefore, Beretta, is that they are a real good rifle for the price.

Smooth, accurate, same barrels as the SAKO gets. Easiest trigger in the world to adjust, no matter if you want it lighter or heavier.
I know one fellow who added weight to the rifle's trigger pull because he wanted a bit heavier pull while his son practiced with it.

They are nice, not beautiful, not ugly either. All in all, a real nice hunting rifle. Their stainless is not a gloss either. Reducing glare.
I would not worry about any factory flaws with a Tikka.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experience with only one Tikka, a 25/06 owned by a friend. I have done a great deal of shooting with it, trying to find an accurate load. This one has a wood stock, and is blued (not stainless). Here is my assessment:

Pro: It has a quite nice "feel" to it, although I'm not especially enamored of the hand-swell on the stock. It has a free-floated barrel, which can be either a pro or a con, depending on the particular gun and on what you like.

Excellent trigger, considerably better than that on any of my Remington 700s.

Very good value for the cost.

Con: This particular rifle has been especially persnickety about loads it will shoot well. I also had a problem with it blowing Federal 210 primers with loads that were not max. When I switched to CCI 200 primers I had no more trouble with blown primers, even with max loads. But its accuracy results are still erratic.

I do not like detachable magazines because they're just another thing to fall out or lose -- I much prefer a box magazine with a hinged floorplate.

Neither pro nor con: This rifle has a grooved receiver for scope mounting, similar to but larger than the grooved receivers common on .22 rimfire rifles. In heavy-recoiling calibers such a scope mount may be too fragile. But in smaller calibers, such as this 25/06, it works well. The receiver is also drilled and tapped for standard mounting bases.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 11-03-2001).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a whole history of other makes of rifles - the fact that I have 3 Tikkas says enough for me, all bought second-hand in various calibres, weights and actions.

I load my own for all three, find a load which suits my needs and my accuracy requirements (1/2" moa) and then stick with it. I now use Federal match primers in all and, touch wood, don't have problems.

Go for it, buy it, enjoy it.

------------------

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was about to get really excited over these rifles, then I handled one and found out you have to take the safety off on a loaded round to unload the rifle(like Brownings) so that ended any chance of me owning one.

It's a personal choice,

mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Ready on the Right: Are you sure about that? My Sako 75 has a button in front of the safety that you push to open the action with the safety on. Works well too. It is like a combination of a Winchester and Remington system all in one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Sako I've ever handled had a safety mounted on the side like a Remington and would allow opening the bolt with a middle position. The Tikka I looked at may not be the model discussed above it was the stainless, synthetic version(unsure what model number) and it had only two positions and safe locked the bolt.

Too be honest I would be interested in looking again for myself. I have heard good things about these rifles and would like to find out there is an alternate way of unloading while remaining on safe!

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good but can require an amount of care in feeding especialy as the magazine starts to empty and if you're using round nose bullets. Mine (243 M595) doesn't like very fast bolt operation.

Factory mounts are too high for 6.42 as are Tallies (but not so much) Factory mounts are very good and will not bend your scope which is not something I can say for Millet!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Very accurate rifles and very smooth. Never had a problem wth them, nor anyone I know of!

------------------
"Certified Rifle Crank!"

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
R-on the-R
No offense intended, but why not just keep the muzzle pointed in the proper direction when unloading?

I prefer the 3 position safety style myself, but I wouldn't necessarily exclude a rifle I liked because of the lack of it...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<RT>
posted
Got a Tikka All Weather this year in 7MM. Very happy with it. Out of the Box accuracy lived up to its reputation. Handloaded work up loads 4 bullets per load 2 each (BT150 and Solid Base 150). Got .6 at 100 yards with 62.5 grs IMR 4831 and SAAMI lenght. Very Smooth action