THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What system do you use to drag elk/deer out of the woods?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What system do you use to drag elk/deer out of the woods?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Anybody use any of those commercial drag sleds?

Did you make your own? If so, what kind?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have friends in MT who use a plastic sled to pull game out to their 4x4 truck but a neighbor has a John Deere Tractor with a bucket that makes deer:mule & whitetail,bear and elk retrieval quick and easy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't own or have access to horses, so I have removed quite a few deer and elk using various methods. My favorite is still my pack frame. But I have used the $10 plastic sleds, tobogan style. I have always tied the legs together on deer, so nothing falls out the sides of the sled. With elk, they are quartered, and if you don't secure them some how, they slide all over the place. You can't stack stuff to high either as it tips over very easy. A friend bought be a game cart a few years ago, I have twice packed a complete elk, (cow) on it. I love it, but conditions have to be just right. I still try to kill within a couple of miles of a road. I have also used a blue plastic tarp. It was like 4x8, worked good so long as the ground is covered with snow and not spotty. It only made one trip! But they are only about $2. and I try to carry one in my pack most of the time anyway.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the thicker plastic, toboggan type sleds many times. It works best to bone the meat into game bags, which keeps the center-of-gravity lower. I have pulled them out over dirt, rocks, and easiest on snow. Uphill is a chore and packing would be easier, while downhill isn't too bad and flat ground is a pain.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The tobaggans only work well when there is deep snow. I used an ice fishing sled just yesterday to haul my son's CO cow back to the truck. Fortunately it was close to the raod and there was over a foot of snow.
Game carts work well if there isn't snow, AND on old roads, maintained trails or very open country. In most areas I hunt (steep, remote) they aren't practicle.
Best bet is almost always to back pack it out if it is any distance from a road. Even a large mule deer will bone down to around 100 pounds, and if you can't do that in one trip than two loads will be a breeze. You can double the number of trips for an elk, but this is still the simplest and often easiest way to move an elk any distance. (OK, the simplest and easiest way is to have someone do it for you!)

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the toboggan type sleds all the time. The kind I have is called H2o They have two lengths. I like the long one but the short ones work too. I put the front shoulder with the hair down on the back of the sled.. I turn it so the leg sticks out the back. Then I use 1" nylon web for tie down straps. I cut holes in the skin next to the walls of the toboggan.The strap goes through the skin through holes in the toboggan then back over the quarter. Then I put a hind quarter on the front of the sled. I have it so the leg sticks back over the front quarter. One sled I have it is better to take the hind leg forward. The problem with that is the leg wil sometimes hook on brush.
I have taken out a lot of elk even on dry ground. if you place the quarters right the center of gravity is low.
I have never taken out deer this way but one man can pull out a half of a cow easy. Big bulls are a lot harder because they don't fit as well on the sled. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Bill,

How close are you to Coalville?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gut and skin both. Quarter the elk and use a pack frame. With deer most often you're relatively close to a road so I gut them and simply drag them to the road. If the deer isn't close to a road then half the deer and strap to pack frame. I've seen lots of sleds and carts used (most were attempts to use) but most of the terrain where i hunt is not condusive to either. Of course a good mule is the way to go.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lots of hunting buddies lol prefferably first timers and youngins! gives them a good reason to REALLY think about taking that shot several miles back in the timber

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what the name of it is........but here in Texas for deer and hogs (or anything else under 300-400 lbs.) we use this flat nylon strap that is about 2 inches wide (similar to a ratchet strap) that you tie to the antlers or around the head. The strap goes about 4 or 5 feet and then splits into 2 shoulder straps and you slip in on like a backpack and pull with your back and shoulders. You wouldn't believe how much easier that is than the old fashioned "grab a horn" method. Smiler

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Methinks Idaho Ron has taken one of my sleds. Big Grin
Its a great idea as stated. Works well in all but the most brushy of country, with or without snow. Colorado DOW has a video of how to bone your meat out quickly. I've been doing it this way for years (learned from a Quebec caribou guide), and it sure reduces weight and bulk.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Okay Guys,

I am googling and can't find the H20 sleds...help

Mike

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
I use a guide.

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I like the hose-a method also known as the hey-boy method. on most of the private land we hunt you can get a truck close if you try.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hey a guide is great...but every once in awhile us old fat guys may have to do this

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked on mine again. it is H2O!
i also tried to to google it and found a toys r us site that has a sled for babies and it says from " H2O! Recreation Inc."
I think it is a Canadian company not sure. i got mine at a "Kings" store for less than 10 dollars. I have hauled out at least 10 elk with mine over the years. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The best way to haul out an elk where I hunt is a horse. I've been lucky twice and been able to haul out an elk whole. Both times were on a RFW property, dropped one in the trail road and backed the pickup right up to her. The other a Ranch Hand saw me and drug it to the road with the ATV he was riding. Other than those two times it has been by my back or a horses.

Where I normaly hunt your game cart will fall apart trying to haul out an elk. Too many dead falls and rocks to get around. Luckily I haven't had to pack out in deep snow yet. So I haven't needed a sled yet.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm just dumber than most of the rest of ya, I almost without exception quarter and pack every elk I've come in contact with on my back.
I love the "got it to the truck whole" stories but kinda like Bigfoot stories, you know its probably true but I've never seen one.

I need to start hunting closer to the truck!

As for the sleds and contraptions they would not work where I typically hunt, I've even killed 2 elk, one deer and a Sheep and a Goat that you couldn't get within a mile or more of with a horse or mule let alone a one wheeled cart or a sled.
Okay I admit it I'm an idiot but hunting far away from everyone in the ugliest country does eliminate 99% of the competition!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

I need to start hunting closer to the truck!

!

gents this is one of the sighns of the apocalypse eschaton right between rivers runing backwards and raining fire you will read in the fine print snellstrom hunts close to his truck.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
the wheelbarrow as a hunting tool is underrated in my opinin. I dont know if you guys have ever used one much but I had a job hanging on the end of one for a summer and it is simply a great tool. you flip it up on its handles and back legs against a tree for a dandy recliner stand and I figure with all the stuff the "experts" say I need to have with me to hunt I will need one to cary it all anyway plus the added benefit of useing it to carry away the game makes a dandy hail shelter and such. wow we may have stumbled onto the marketing ploy of a lifetime. the tactical wheelbarrow with pals webbing in marpat green coyotey or tactical black

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OTTER sled for deer and elk,epecially if theres a bit of snow. Possibly the same type of sled reffered to as an H2O?? Available at most Ranch stores here in the West.

I've drug elk out whole several times ,especially if theres enough snow to cover the ground. A bit of DOWNhill helps too. When Your alone, WHERE You shoot them REALLY omes into play. I've passed up a few decent bulls to pop a cow thats much closer to a road or easier to drag out.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike: We usually kill our elk within 1-3 miles from the truck, during Idaho's general season in early October. The ground is clear, and footing is pretty good. Got a 5x5, 6x6, spike, 7x7 over the last couple years, and a 7x6 this year that we have taken out this way. Pack frames and slow walking works the best then. Heaviest bull was probably 850 on the ground, and ended up taking 6 loads for 360 pounds of meat, horns, and cape. Use a combination of Freighter Frames with Moose bag, Badlands 2800 , and the new Kelty Packer frame, with wrap-around cover.

Being that I am old at 57, fat as a Christmas goose, and have a bad knee after 5 surgeries - I can only pack about 90-100#. Then I hook up the real mules of the family. My oldest son can shade that by 30#, and the youngest (who is a BLM firefighter) kicks his butt and carries a max of 150#. We packed my Arizona bull out of a canyon in Unit 8 last year in 3 loads. UGH!!!!!

Once the snow hits the ground, heavy loads on your back are the very best way I know to get hurt, or break a leg badly. That's when we break out the black poly sleds that are sold in Sportsman's or the other hunting stores. Can easily haul half an elk, and the entire thing if tied on correctly and two of you do the pulling. Biggest danger then is getting run over when going downhill. Get them down, dress and quarter, then take backstraps, tenders, and neck meat back to the truck, and get the sled for the rest.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wally world has them to!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
In Kansas we don't have to drag carcasses much uphill or down compared to a lot of places. Therefore a game cart works well as long as the underbrush is not too thick. Look for large diameter wheels and thick axles. One of the best I have seen is a homemade job that a friend (a welder) put together using an old garden gate and a couple of 24" dia mountain bike wheels. It's tough, light and easy to pull. It's not pretty except when the you see it under a deer and near the truck.

I have also used a set of deer drag straps like Eland Slayer detailed. Pulling from the shoulders or even a strap around the hips means that you don't tire your arms and hands out. For bucks I find that I have to shorten the straps enough to keep the antlers off the ground.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Where we hunt in Washington theres lots of old logging roads. We have 3000ft of 1/2" nylon rope, a few snatch blocks, 2 trucks and about 6 guys and 2 radios. Thats how we got this big boy out in 04.

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mort Canard:
I have also used a set of deer drag straps like Eland Slayer detailed. Pulling from the shoulders or even a strap around the hips means that you don't tire your arms and hands out. For bucks I find that I have to shorten the straps enough to keep the antlers off the ground.

Now that you mention it..........we do the same thing. I forgot to put that in there.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
No elk in southeast Missouri most people just grab a horn and pull. I use a two wheel cart purchaced at Bass Pro. with lots of bungy cords to make the load solid.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use The Otter sleds.They come in 4 differnt sizes.They have high sides and super heavy duty plastic.A couple a guys can pull a good sized animal even over dry ground with eaze.Fleet& Farm and Tractor Supply carry them. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
http://www.portablewinch.com/en/05.asp
this little baby has saved our butts several times. we typically shoot things in the bottom of deep draws. better than a chainsaw winch, as the rope is not attached, therefore, you can use any length you want. once at the top of the draw, it's usually 4-wheeler time.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The camp I hunt with uses about 2000 feet of 5/16 cable on a big spool mounted in the back of a pickup truck. We have a cable break that once the cable is to the animal we put the break on and hook it to the ball on the hitch and then run the cable through a snatch block cabled off to a big stump near the logging road. Then we just drive slowly down the road. We have a couple of guys with the animal with radios and a radio in the truck to communicate if the animal gets hung up. We get the animal to the road then gut it to keep it clean and then into the back of the truck. The spool has a mechanical handle on it to run the cable back onto the spool. Works like a champ. If we have one of the young loggers with us and the area offers some timber close to our pull we can usually get the young buck to put the snatch block in the tree so we can cable the Elk right into the back of the truck. Kind of like a high line used while logging.clap

KSTEPHANS: NIIICE!!! Big Grin

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike-when you get to Montana next we'll talk about this, sound good?

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
sounds great...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
For deer, I usually drag it to the logging road and use ATV to transport it back to the camp. I dragged the deer as far as 100 yards.

For moose we hunt pretty far away from camp and deep into the wilderness. We use chainsaw to cut into the woods to drag the moose out via ATV to the truck. A team of 4-5 hunters are involved in helping out. Then we drive back to camp. The process takes from 5-9 hours.

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grab a horn and go with him to the nearest road at least..I also use a horse if its in a hard to get to spot...You can always quarter a deer and its easy for two people to pack out..if he is big then bone him out and pack the meat in sacks. A boned out deer isn't much weight even a big one...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
Last year dragged the biggest body whitetail I ever shot 3/4 of mile to my truck. I was physically exhausted. had to stop about every 20 yards. It took me at least 1.5 hours to drag it out.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This year a helper and I carried a big doe out on a sapling. We got sick of dragging. I cut a hole at the base of the neck and pushed a sapling in the neck and out the anus. Carrying was easier than dragging, but still work. I'm looking to get a harness for my daughter's pony.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kawasaki Mule or my 6'4"Grandson!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just pull the truck up and load it in the back. It doesn't get any better than that.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote