THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What system do you use to drag elk/deer out of the woods?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What system do you use to drag elk/deer out of the woods?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Crusher's method, the Mark 1 Mod 0 wheelbarrow! My Grandfather designed our family farm around the wheelbarrow so growing up, I learned how to use one. I take one to camp when I go, now. 8' long 12" oak logs--just bring 'em on! 3-4 at a time!

Deer fits in there just nice. Never tried an elk.
Shotgun

Posts: 111 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

Did you make your own? If so, what kind?

I use a Yamaha Big Bear 4 wheeler to drag my deer out.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always used the grab a horn (rope around the neck method for does) and drag. I dragged a big bodied buck about a mile three seasons ago through some steep country in eastern KY. That was fairly challenging.

I'm hoping to be drawn for elk this year. I'd like to put my strongman training to a real test and see how far I can pull an elk with a chest harness. Big Grin

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barutmt:
I'm hoping to be drawn for elk this year. I'd like to put my strongman training to a real test and see how far I can pull an elk with a chest harness. Big Grin

Speaking from experience I can assure you it is not going to be far.
If you can't use a pack horse try one of these.

www.hardcorehuntpack.com

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to put my strongman training to a real test and see how far I can pull an elk with a chest harness.

With some snow on the ground you can go a ways. Dry ground, you had better be 6'4" and #260. Easiest is quarter and backpack! Unless you have a horse, or can get a quad or trcuk close.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
quote:
I'd like to put my strongman training to a real test and see how far I can pull an elk with a chest harness.

With some snow on the ground you can go a ways. Dry ground, you had better be 6'4" and #260. Easiest is quarter and backpack! Unless you have a horse, or can get a quad or trcuk close.

Close. 6'2" 255. I realize that I likely won't get far, but I'm stubborn and have to try.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bone and pack.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Bone out the meat and pack it out with backpack, atv, horses or mules. I have dragged out using kids roll-up plastic sled. Right now is the time to find them in local drug stores, walmarts, etc.
I have made an elk toboggan with the hide and game bags. It was a good idea on paper...well, not really. I lived through it. For backpack, I would suggest keeping the weight at about 40 lbs a load.
FWIW,
Dave

"We are all here for a short spell; so get all the good laughs you can.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else."
Will Rogers

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really fond of the "Outfitter system".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cut the moose or elk into halves or quarters depending on the terrain and load them up

Then Voila

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
What system do you use to drag elk/deer out of the woods?

My drag is made by Yamaha, 700 Grizzly EFI w/ power steering. Haven't come across any game around here it will not drag out Big Grin

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My drag is made by Yamaha, 700 Grizzly EFI w/ power steering. Haven't come across any game around here it will not drag out

Atta boy, thats what I'm talking about. When you shoot something thats got some size to it you can't beat a bike.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only comment on Deer, here in the East it's always been "grab something and drag".

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I get older I like too have a couple of young lads along. I like them between 15 and 25 yoa. dancing

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
As I get older I like too have a couple of young lads along. I like them between 15 and 25 yoa. dancing

Borrow a couple from the Border Patrol.... clap

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my deer are moved in a plastic sled. I bought a larger "decoy sled" from Cabelas for use in elk hunting. For long hauls over dry terrain, I built a cart, using an aluminum hitch haul platform. By removing the platform from the vehicle, snapping in 2 wheels into the center tube frame, and folding out the handle, it is ready to go in 2 minutes. I used bicycle tires with green "slime" flatproofing to prevent deflation when going over cactii.
WYLD

Posts: 43 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote