Find
Notify
Tools

Got the Maine job!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Serious question, Brad. What pleasure do you get by being so smarmy about this? I'm just trying to understand your agenda.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaaahhh Maine! I work there often and hunt there several weeks each fall. The folks in Maine are great and I always feel welcome. The deer up in “The County†are big, tough to hunt and worth the effort. Partridge and woodcock shooting is amongst the best in the US and if you get lucky, you may draw a tag for one of these.

Best of luck on the move

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Good looking Moose!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty, Atticus. How much did he weigh? What zone did you get him in?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He weighed in at 850 lb with 19 points on a 50" spread. I took him in Zone 5 not to far from Masardis. It was a great hunt; much more challenging than I expected!

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
Serious question, Brad. What pleasure do you get by being so smarmy about this? I'm just trying to understand your agenda.

Smarmy... agenda, WTF?

I mentioned to a prospective move-in that, even though there are plenty of good people in the great state of Maine, it's a relatively closed society... that's the truth but there's really know way as an insider you can know that.

Based on the reactions of you and your buddy from down the coast I think my point was well made...

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Atticus,

That is an awesome moose, what dreams are made of! Thanks for sharing the photo.

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Got the job going to Maine in December!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some times its the newbie that closes the door himself. If its one thing the locals love to hear its how shinier, faster, easier, better paying, cheaper, tastier, etc things were "back home".
There's a sign that's pretty prevalent in Wyoming bars that sez: "frankly, I don't care how you did it back home." That might be something a fellow moving to a new place (anywhere) should take to heart.
Good luck on your new job. Its been my experience, and I've lived several places, that folks will usually treat you like you treat them. 'Course you'll run acrost a few assholes. Can't everybody be as nice as you and me. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its been my experience, and I've lived several places, that folks will usually treat you like you treat them. 'Course you'll run acrost a few assholes. Can't everybody be as nice as you and me. Big Grin

That about sums it up, I think. Well said.

D99, congrats on your job. Most deer seasons will be closed by December, but the waterfowling is generally just getting cranking about that time. Smiler

Holler and I'll get you out. If you haven't been tarred, feathered or hanged by then by the evil residents that lurk about these parts, that is... clap

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I'm sharpening my fangs in anticipation of his arrival........

-+-+-

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Back off, bloodsucker. This naive new victim's from 'away' is all mine to berate, abuse and generally treat like the enemy. I meant, er, welcome to New England, D99! beer

KG

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D99,

Congratulations! You will like it up it this neck of the woods I think..... Smiler

Lots of outdoor fun and not to terribly hard to get off the beaten path.

Atticus...Great Moose!

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D99

Congrats on the Maine Job. My wife is from NH. As a fellow westerner I can assure you it will be very different from what you are used to. Nice country, but different none the less.

Good to see Big Navy gave you what you want. I literally had to go to war with them to get what I wanted for my last tour. But I get to stay in Fl until I retire in 2010.

If you find some decent bear hunting, let the Old Chief in on it.

Chief Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Congrats Seth, you will enjoy your time in New England!

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Good for you dancing

Always feels good when good folks get what they desire Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D99,

Congrats! You'll be stationed in some of the most beautiful country in the East and like I said please feel free to fire away with questions. I did grow up just down RT1 in Rockland.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
D99,

Welcome to New England from another outsider. As for the local ambiance, well, I'll just say that unlike Iowa, it sure as hell ain't heaven. Big Grin

But even so, aside from the damned politics, it ain't a bad place to earn and eat your daily bread.

Good luck. Smiler

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
D99,

As for the local ambiance, well, I'll just say that unlike Iowa, it sure as hell ain't heaven. Big Grin
Smiler

Ambiance, schmambiance. You can't have a clambake in a cornfield, and let me see you catch a tuna out there! wave

KG

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I did grow up just down RT1 in Rockland.

Mark

Well there you go, D99: a starting point of places to avoid! rotflmo

KG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just be warned...
Welcome to Maine, Now go HOME!
is a favorite saying round here...

Big holes bleed more!