Find
Notify
Tools

Got the Maine job!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
I applied for a Navy job in Maine. What's the hunting like?

How expensive is Brunswick?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
The hunting in northern New England is very good, lots of wilderness. I will warn you, there are some bowhunters! archer Whitetail are big bodied brutes, very good black bear, good trapping, varmints and moose if you can draw.

Good fishing too if you like that. I know a family that runs an outfit, they are quite friendly and would happily tell you about life in Maine. I also have associates that live and work in Augusta (Forensic Lab) and I bet they would be a good resource for you as well. I have friends in New Brunswick and Nova S. also good hunting and one of the friendliest Canadian Provinces. The Maritimes are great and you are not far from good caribou hunting and moose in Canada.

New England tends to be a bit on the expensive side but, being in neighboring Vermont for over a year now, I would never go back to the mid west to live. Since you are from west of the Miss I think you'll like the rugged wilderness of Maine.

If you want some contact info just let me know.

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Ann has it about right, but forgot to add birds. Smiler Waterfowl of many flavors, ruffed grouse (pah-tridge locally) and woodcock all are hunted in ME. And another word about the fishing: it can be good to excellent, both in the fresh and salt.

Ann, glad to hear you've settled in. It gets bashed a lot for its kooky politics and wealth of lefties, but New England is a gorgeous part of the world, with wonderful hunting, fishing and outdoor wonder. By God I'd rather live no where else.*

*As long as I can get on a plane/truck/boat and take off from time to time to travel, hunt and fish other places. Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kamo,

How's life in Basston?

I hear ya on the politics, I have met some real militant liberalnistas! Ewwww! There seems to be a lot of old hippies here too. At least in Vermont.

One other thing, many of the near-by states have huge deer populations like Connecticut so there is good hunting everywhere. I hear the bears are nice in your Berkshires?

By and large I am having the time of my life, got a date with my chain saw on the mountain all day today. Building food plots and making firewood. Hey, there's trout in the brook..... dancing

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D99,

I grew up just up the coast on Route 1 about 40 minutes from Brunswick. The hunting is good for sea ducks with liberal limits. Other waterfowl hunitng can be crowded. Deer although quite abundant in the coastal counties are pressured pretty hard with many blaze orange covered nimrods in the woods. They do grow big there and a deer dressing over 200 pounds is not unusual. Further north there are less hunters but also fewer deer. Black bears are abundant but not in the coastal areas. Moose also are very common in the northern counties but the draw is a bugger. You can hunt about anywhere though. As long as the land is not posted you can hunt or you always could. No Sunday hunting dates way back to colonial times. After living in Alaska the fishing will be very disappointing I think.

If you don't try to compare it to other areas you've been and you get in wit hsome locals which could be trick you can have fun there.

The country is stunningly beautiful and home to me but the cost of living and the crowded coastal area have kept me in the west.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Not wishing to start a tit-for-tat argument, but in comparing AK to ME, either one could come out on top, and I prefer New England. Yeah, fishing Alaska can be great; no argument there, with halibut, salmon of a few flavors that get big, some cod and trout to name a few. I've done it, and enjoyed it. But ME has all flavors of trout (including lakers) and all manner of warm water fish, plus a helluva' saltwater fishery too. Stripers, blues, cod, haddock, wolf fish, mackerel, pollock, tuna. Down the coast a bit we get false albacore, big eye, yellowfin, bluefin (to 1000 lbs), bonito, flounder, fluke, tautog, seabass, porbeagle, dusky, blue and mako shark. Offshore we can get into dorado and swords as well as big shark and tuna. Just an awesome fishery. Not to mention the lobsters! But I do like Alaska, and their crabs are fine eats too. Wink

As far as orange armies, yeah, you can find them if you're not into putting in the time to get back in a ways, but as a Mainer you know that the state has got enormous chunks of uninhabited land; you just need to work a bit to find your own piece. Smiler As far as your waterfowl comment, not sure what you mean. We bash plenty of geese, puddlers and divers every year (as wqell as seaducks), and many places where we go I've rarely seen another hunter. But then we look hard for places like that. D99, if you get up and would like more info, just holler. I'll do what I can to get you started.

Ann, the Mean Bean is just fine. We're currently bashing stripers all up and down the coast, along with the choppers (blues). My buddy hung a cow bass, a 57 pounder, in Nantucket sound a few days back. Let me know if you ever get down this way, and if you like we'll see what we can do about putting you on some fish.

Cheers,

KG

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
KG, Ann, Mark,

Thanks a ton!

I am excited about it, hopefully the Navy will find it it's infinite wisdom to send me there.

I know they are shutting the base down, but should get at least 18-36 months of being a Mainer.

Would like to buy a house, but will probably rent something. Might end up buying a duplex or triplex and renting the other half or 2/3rds. That way I don't have to worry about selling it if the bases shuts down and they move the squadron.

Not really all that exctied about Lobster, it's about fourth rate compared to sweet dungeness, Tanner or King crab. I do like it much more than shrimp. I am hoping their crab as well?

Pretty excited about the area. I kind of expected orange army for deer. I plan on doing a lot of fishing, diving, kayaking, and some bird hunting. If I can shoot some does and draw a moose than that will be gravy. Anticosti is close, and so is Newfie! I bet I can do an unguided caribou hunt in Quebec or a guided black bear hunt for about $2500 too.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quebec bear with fishing runs about $1300 more or less. I am doing one at the end of this month. No orange required in Vermont and if the land is not posted you are allowed access however, it doesn't hurt to try and find the landowner, if possible and ask.

While I am in Quebec I will be looking at some moose options. The area I am bear hunting is supposed to be crawling with swamp donkeys.

BTW- When you get there I'll take any unwanted lobster off your hands. Smiler

~Ann

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
KG, Ann, Mark,

Thanks a ton!

I am excited about it, hopefully the Navy will find it it's infinite wisdom to send me there.

I know they are shutting the base down, but should get at least 18-36 months of being a Mainer.

Would like to buy a house, but will probably rent something. Might end up buying a duplex or triplex and renting the other half or 2/3rds. That way I don't have to worry about selling it if the bases shuts down and they move the squadron.

Not really all that exctied about Lobster, it's about fourth rate compared to sweet dungeness, Tanner or King crab. I do like it much more than shrimp. I am hoping their crab as well?

Pretty excited about the area. I kind of expected orange army for deer. I plan on doing a lot of fishing, diving, kayaking, and some bird hunting. If I can shoot some does and draw a moose than that will be gravy. Anticosti is close, and so is Newfie! I bet I can do an unguided caribou hunt in Quebec or a guided black bear hunt for about $2500 too.

You can go on a GREAT black bear hunt here in New Englang for a heck of a lot less than $2500. As for Dungeness competing with lobster....pleeeeease! You do mean MAINE lobster, right? I'm not talking about those feeble West-coast lobsters or the Southern variety. I went to a wedding in Seattle and couldn't wait to try the Dungeness that I'd heard so much about. They are good but not nearly what I expected. You'll just need to come out for a real clam bake some time, we'll set you straight!Wink

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
quote:
KG, Ann, Mark,

Thanks a ton!

You can go on a GREAT black bear hunt here in New Englang for a heck of a lot less than $2500. As for Dungeness competing with lobster....pleeeeease! You do mean MAINE lobster, right? I'm not talking about those feeble West-coast lobsters or the Southern variety. I went to a wedding in Seattle and couldn't wait to try the Dungeness that I'd heard so much about. They are good but not nearly what I expected. You'll just need to come out for a real clam bake some time, we'll set you straight!Wink

Right on, Slug. Gotta' represent! Smiler

D99, as said, all you've got to do is holler. We may not have it all, but we AR brethren (New England chapter wave) have got you covered if you make it on up, and can keep you busy for as long as you can handle. Despite what the naysayers would have you believe. Big Grin

Slug, you up for pho later in the week?

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
No orange required in Vermont and if the land is not posted you are allowed access however, it doesn't hurt to try and find the landowner, if possible and ask.

No orange requirement in NH either, though I choose to wear it anyway. One of the nice things about New England is that it's a nothing drive to be in striking distance of neighboring states. You can hunt ME, NH, VT and MA in a long weekend if you feel like it. During waterfowl season, I often hunt 3 of them any given week. Sunday hunting is permitted in NH, by the way.

Cheers,

KG

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Sounds great!

Looking forward to that and the sea duck hunting. In Washington you weren't allowed to hunt sea ducks with a motorized boat.

How's things work there?

And what do you do with them?

We just breasted them out and made duck jerkey out of them after baking them.

As for your lobster, maybe from Bennihana as Japanese Tepanyaki. Other than that I doubt I will indulge too much.

Crab maybe more work to clean, but the taste is over the top.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not hunting related but this was in yesterday's paper and it might interest you:

Historic ship launched after extensive repairs

June 11, 2007

Associated Press

BOOTHBAY HARBOR, Maine — After undergoing repairs for more than a year, the tall ship featured in the 1962 movie "Mutiny on the Bounty" was launched Saturday night at the Boothbay Harbor Shipyard in preparation for an around-the-world voyage.

The 412-ton HMS Bounty is poised to take to the high seas following a $2 million overhaul in which only its three 115-foot masts were left untouched. The work included replacing stern and bow sections, installing a new top deck, recasting the ship's ballast, building a new skylight and galley windows and installing new deck hatches.

"When the owner first approached us to have the ship's bottom redone, it was like swiss cheese," said Robert C. Foster III, a spokesman for the shipyard. "It came up here with a big rubber diaper on her to keep her afloat."

More than 40 shipyard workers working 10-hour days put in an estimated 35,000 man-hours to make sure the Bounty is prepared to return to sea.

"We pretty much replaced everything but the keel and hull," said Skip Collins, a heavy equipment operator. The overhaul was the replica's third since owner Robert Hanson acquired it from the Fall River, Mass., Chamber of Commerce.

The Bounty is scheduled to leave July 2 for Nova Scotia and Portsmouth, England, as part of a 6,000-mile trip that tentatively includes a stop in Brazil before the ship moves on to South Africa and the South Pacific. The 18-member crew plans to arrive in Tahiti in October 2008 to take part in the islands' celebration of Captain William Bligh's arrival 220 years ago.

The ship will attempt to follow the course that Bligh took in 1788 when the original Bounty was commissioned to sail to Tahiti to collect sapling breadfruit trees.

"The ship is beautiful. It truly tugs at your heart," said Margaret Ramsey, spokeswoman for Hanson's HMS Bounty Organization LLC in Smithtown, N.Y., who noted that most people don't realize what it costs to keep the Bounty shipshape. "It easily costs us between $750,000 and $1 million a year just to maintain the ship," she said. "It is not an easy feat."

The replica ship has appeared in the sequel to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie, "Dead Man's Chest," and appears briefly in the "Pirates" movie that was recently released.

MAINE F&W

~Ann

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds great!

Looking forward to that and the sea duck hunting. In Washington you weren't allowed to hunt sea ducks with a motorized boat.

How's things work there?

We just breasted them out and made duck jerkey out of them after baking them.

As for your lobster, maybe from Bennihana as Japanese Tepanyaki. Other than that I doubt I will indulge too much.

Crab maybe more work to clean, but the taste is over the top.

That's a great way to ruin lobster..... boohoo

KG, check your pm when you get a second.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds great!

How's things work there?

Seaducks, you say? Smiler See the bird hunting forum. I've got some pics still up there, I think. We crush them out of a layout boat. Trying to pick out the nicest bulls out of the 50 eiders piling in on your head a quarter mile off shore in January is something every bird hunter needs to do at least once in a lifetime.

We have a guy who makes sausage out of smoked breasts of eider/scoter/oldsquaw 20 lbs at a time. It's excellent (and the only way you'll get me to put seaduck meat in my mouth).

one of us
posted Hide Post
D99,

These other folks telling you about Maine are from "Away"(You'll understand if you move there)If you want any info from a real "Downeaster" feel free to contact me. Anything these other folks offer is suspect. Maniacs who particularly have lived on the Maine coast for many generations have a very apparent elitist attitude. Just an FYI!

You are wrong about the lobster. They are not necessarily better than other crustaceans but the frozen tails you might have had somewhere are a pale shadow of the real thing fresh from the north Atlantic. I caught them commercially for 14 years and I never tired of them. Maine really does have seafood to rival anything anywhere.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alllllrighty then,

I can't help but offer my two cents since I live in Brunswick. It's good people here. I was actually brought up an hour south in Saco (fantastic striper fishin) and have lived around but here I am. I think lots of other members have pretty much got the hunting report correct. The lobster is great the couple of times a year I have it and I spend lots of time in the Boothbay Harbor area.

When do you arrive? Feel free to PM me and maybe we can form a new hunting group!

Jeff

ps the winter is a whole different animal, though, so be ready to work for your slice of sanity!

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright Mark, I am trying to fit in as best as possible here! Razzer I have survived THREE Nor'easters already!

After arriving to Vermont I thought it was funny that people here 'vacation' in Maine and most of Quebec comes down here to the Greens.

Next mud season I'll be sugarin'. I've got my trees picked out.

D- Not sure about Maine but coyotes are open year round in VT and well, it's a stones' throw away. Also, if you like professional sports you might find it a bit strange as either Boston or New York teams are popular depending on your local.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
D99,

These other folks telling you about Maine are from "Away"(You'll understand if you move there)If you want any info from a real "Downeaster" feel free to contact me. Anything these other folks offer is suspect.

Not sure who you're referring to Mark, but your suggesting that any opinion other than your own matters WRT ME is pretty ridiculous. With the exception of a few years overseas as a kid, I've lived my entire life in New England, and fish and hunt Maine. Since I live now less than 20 miles from the Maine border, I'm there often, which I think is more than you can say, living in Wyoming... Smiler

A few people offered some insight and help (and not looking to make a dime for it, I might add) to a guy who wanted some info. Not sure why you chose to take issue with it.

KG

P.S. It's common knowledge that anyone not born and raised in rural NH/VT/ME will always be an outsider to the locals. It's also not a phenomenon restricted to New England.

one of us
posted Hide Post
KG,

Keep your shirt on. If you really GOT the Maine coastal thing you'd understand that it doesn't matter whether you are right or wrong you are from "Away". Also if you think resident attitudes toward "Outastaters" is just as strong in other areas you definitely don't really know many coastal residents of Maine. Anti tourist attitudes are part of the culture and being from some other part of New England gives you no vaiidity in Maine. You might as well be from Mars.

Look! This is all tongue in cheek as I thought you probably understood the underlying contempt Mainiacs hold for anybody not from there. This contemp does not come across violently but people will ignore you to death.

Oh! Not living in Maine presently does not matter because my family has been there for generations and never will be from "Away".

Don't take any of this personally and everything you said about hunting and fishing at present in Maine is probably true but your still from "Away" and always will be.

Have a nice day!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
KG,

Keep your shirt on. If you really GOT the Maine coastal thing you'd understand that it doesn't matter whether you are right or wrong you are from "Away". Also if you think resident attitudes toward "Outastaters" is just as strong in other areas you definitely don't really know many coastal residents of Maine.

Whatever. And as a matter of fact, I do have buddies from ME, from BH to OOB to York. I already supported your position as far as some Mainers and their clubby attitude. I do get that, and it bothers me not at all. As I said, it's like that in MOST places. My Grandparents moved from the East End/Bridgeton Cross section of Glasgow, to Kilmarnock, Scotland many years ago. Lived there for 20+ years before they passed. They had their share of pals after a few years, but they were always known as that couple 'from away'. Now WTF has that got to do with a guy looking for info on hunting the state? About as much as learning you pulled pots there for a living for a lot of years.

Maine's a great state, with a lot of land to hunt and fish. That's the point. And not *all* of them are dickheads, and treat everyone else as unwanted outsiders and with contempt.

KG

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Not really sure where you're going with this. I've lived that coast my whole life, my brother is a lobster man, and my other brother's a contractor in York. About as blue collar as it gets. We feel pretty much the same as KG on this. It's like most other places where a SMALL, VOCAL MINORITY make it seem like all outsiders are demons. It's simply not the truth for most folks.

-+-+-

one of us
posted Hide Post
KG,

Up to and including my post dated 12 June 22:57 my comments were directed at D99 and only meant to be informative. You then took exception to my comments that were mostly in jest but nevertheless true with alot of Maine coastal residents. I told you this was nothing personal except that you are from "Away" and never will be a resident if you lived there 100 years.

A STORY: A new resident to rural coastal Maine overhears two old grizzled Maine fisherman discussing a poitical issue. He interrupts saying "Us residents have to stick together on this issue" One of the old grizzled gentleman says "Now hold on Sonny you aint no Maine resident" The new resident says I've been here 15 years and I'm NOT a resident? How about my children that were born here"? The old fisherman says "If your wife cooked a pan of muffins would they be kittens?" Now if you don't get that you are way far from "Away". If you do you'll understand why you'll always be from "Away". It's a fuckin' JOKE!!!!!

Slug,

If you are referring to Maine south of Bath it should've been annex back to Mass. many years ago.

Anne,

I'm glad you are doing well in Vermont. A truly beautiful place but way too close to New York. You at least are not trying to tell me you "Understand".

Look! Folks this not all that serious. All you have to accept is that you are and will always be from "Away".

As for D99 he just needs to know that if he encounters some odd attitudes in Maine it once again is not personal. He is just from "Away".

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Well, that's that then. D99, no sense coming dude, as you're from 'away', and ALWAYS WILL BE (insert spooky church organ song here). Wink

A story that reinforces your contention: a buddy of mine from the White Mountains owns a deer camp in ME, around Baxter. He kills BIG deer, 200lb+ bucks almost every year, and has for nearly 20 years. One year, after winning the local best buck pot at the bar 3 years running, some young local says something like "goddamn outastate flatander took another one of our deer". My buddy takes offense at the comment, and says, "Yer right; I ain't from heah. I'm from Twin Mountain, New Hampshah, but I rest my hat heah durin' deer season, and have fer about as long as you've been on this earth. I pays my taxes and obeys most laws, and hunt legal every year. I've every amount of right to hunt the deer here as you. And just so you know, I grew up hunting the mountains, and live close to Mt. Washington, which stands 6300 feet and change up, which is a good bit higher than anything you've got heah in Maine. So, you can piss and moan that I shoot a bigger deer than you every year, but you oughta' realize that I reckon it's because I'm a better hunter and woodsman than you. You can call me a sonofabitch, an asshole or whatever you like. Won't change the fact that you're simply a young, jealous fool. But you ever call me a flatlander again, I'll bust your teeth for you; that's a promise!" Can you feel the warm Yankee love? Smiler

Oh, and all good here, Mark. wave , though I still think all that 'us against them' bullshit is way over rated except by maybe the older generation types...

KG

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am a Wyoming Cowboy and an Alaskan Sourdough, if anyone calls me a flatlander I think I will do the same. Considering all of Wyoming is higher in altitude than Maine. And Alaska has the 15 of the highest mountains in America.

Don't worry Gari and Mark, Wyoming locals would are just as anti-tourista as the rest. Especially for Michigan, Minnesota, Colorado, Texas, California, and Pennsilvania plates.

Wyoming has around 400,000 deer, and a similar number of elk and pronghorns. Texas has 21 million deer so it really pisses us off when folks come up to Wyoming and expect to be hand fed a buck.

I was home at the parents house on leave a few years ago and having a drink in my favorite hometown bar. It was the a day before the deer opener and the place was ripe with non-residents. I was wearing a Remington Country ball cap and damn near all these guys stopped me and asked me if I knew a place they could shoot a big buck.

No smart resident is going to show another resident his honey-hole. Let alone some "flatlander" from some other state.

Alaska is the same, especially in the Anchorage and Fairbanks. I haven't spent much time in Juneau but I am sure it is there too.

I lived in Barrow and Sitka. If it wasn't such a pain in the ass to get out of Sitka I might live there again. I didn't care for Barrow at all but I would probably do Nome. The Artic didn't bother me, drunk 3rd generation Alcahol fetal infant syndrome eskimos did though.

I guess while America may be one nation, we aren't so united after all!

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't worry Gari and Mark, Wyoming locals would are just as anti-tourista as the rest. Especially for Michigan, Minnesota, Colorado, Texas, California, and Pennsilvania plates.

Well shit, good thing we rented our vehicle from SD and drove on in for our pronghorns. Smiler

quote:

I guess while America may be one nation, we aren't so united after all!

You know, that's probably true, and gives me pause thinking about it, and I wish it weren't so.

In any event, should you make it up, my offer stands.

Cheers,

KG

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Gari,

Thanks again. I am very interested. I need to get a new Benelli and a lot of practice on the skeet and sporting clays fields.

Sea ducks are amazing birds. We had King eiders and a few others in Barrow. I can't remember all the names. They were geese among ducks for sure. Not sure if they weren't bigger than brant and snow geese.

I haven't really hunted ducks other than about 10 times (scattered over 15 years). Always pass or jump shooting, and never with decoys. So this will be interesting.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The average altitude in Wyoming is 6700 feet (mean altitude). In Maine it is 591 feet. In Alaska it is 1900 feet. Wyoming has the 2nd highest mean average altitude in the US, Colorado eclipsing Wyoming by 100 feet.

Seems to me anyone from Maine is a flatlander! pissers

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
D99, my father is a Maine resident but is what most in Maine would call "Summer Folk." He lives N. of Brunswick on the ocean (Winter Harbor). I've spent time in Maine since 1974.

You say you'll be a "Mainer" for 18-36 mos... the truth of the matter is Maine (and most of northern New England) is a closed society... unless you have roots in the area going back at least 100 years you'll always be an outsider. Not the case in larger metropolitan areas but is absolutely the case in the rest of Maine. Like anywhere, there are good people to be found in Maine but it'll take you a long time to figure out who's "good." "Northern Reserve" is at an extreme in Maine.

Mud season starts in March and goes through May when black fly/mosquito season starts. The best months in Maine are July, August, September and sometimes October. Winters are tough.

The "woods" are a rugged and often impenetrable wild fortress.

There's a great deal of beauty in Maine and there are a LOT of places the Navy could send you that would be far less preferable. However, I thought a little bit of reality needed to be injected into this thread... as a Westerner you'll not be particularly comfortable.

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I really don't know where all this is coming from. Some of you guys make it sound like he's moving to fricken Albania or something. Get real. Did you know my cousin in Christmas Cove even has the internet AND cable TV! Yeah, and my friend in Machias, he still has ALL of his teeth! I go to these places a lot and the people are just like anywhere else, honest.
You want weird, go to RI. My apologies to my friends in Rhody.

-+-+-

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Thank you for interjecting your "Western ideas" I agree, they don't understand us and honestly it wouldn't be too different if they were to move to Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, or Alaska.

You move there your accent is different, and they label you. They don't know anyone you know and they group you as an outsider.

Not really worried about fitting in, just there to have a good time. I doubt I will spend more than half of the time in Maine as most of it will be in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Thanks to everyone that posted here. I am sure it won't be home, but it will be fun. I only have 6 more years of doing this anyway and I get to move back to Alaska and finish grad-school. It will be an interesting time. I have been looking at lots of houses (though I dare not buy as I won't be there very long). What a beautiful place. I would say excepting mountain vistas, it's as pretty and green as Alaska, Washington, or Oregon on the coast.

Just looking forward to getting out of Italy, can't hunt, can't own a gun, can't trap, can only dive and eat and drink vino, and my favorite part running over the millions of cats and rescuing hedgehogs from getting killed on the highway.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
I really don't know where all this is coming from. Some of you guys make it sound like he's moving to fricken Albania or something. Get real. Did you know my cousin in Christmas Cove even has the internet AND cable TV! Yeah, and my friend in Machias, he still has ALL of his teeth! I go to these places a lot and the people are just like anywhere else, honest.
You want weird, go to RI. My apologies to my friends in Rhody.

Slug, that's obviously partly directed at me... I take no offense, but you're obviously filling in blanks that don't exist.

Like I said, good people in Maine... but unless you've been an outsider there you have no idea what a closed society it is. You CAN'T understand that... undoubtedly you're one of the good guys tho (grins).

D99, I hear your quandry. Europe is a great place to visit, but...

I'm a Westerner by birth but grew up in New England. Left in 1980 (second year of college) going West and never looked back. I never felt at home in the culture. True, all rural places including those in the West look at outsiders with a bit of suspicion... nothing like in New England, however, IME.

No biggie... there's a ton to do and see in Maine and it's one of my favorite places.

There's great crab there too!

Take plenty of DEET... (grin).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad is right about "Downeasters" Don't expect too much positive interaction with the locals in rural Maine.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
horse

JH Christ, the guy asked about HUNTING, not about the chances of his holding hands with some salty downeasters.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Just offered a bit of friendly advise... something someone of your cultural background seems to have a hard time comprehending.

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
Just offered a bit of friendly advise... something someone of your cultural background seems to have a hard time comprehending.

Seems to me you're the one with the cultural background issues..... You and Mikelravy realize we're talking about maine, right here in the US of A, not Transylvania, right? I think you took "Salem's Lot" a little too seriously.

-+-+-

One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
At least coastal Maine speaks english. I spent much of my childhood in Van Buren(Aroostook County) and if you didn't speak french as your primary language you got the evil eye from the locals.

My mom was the only "acceptable" one of us as she has roots there going way back and is fluent in french. The rest of us were a curiosity to the locals. Didn't stop me from having lot's of fun though.

Not much different than anywhere else I've lived. Locals love to look down their noses at the non-natives.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Slug and Kamo seem fully capable of perfectly illustrating my points without any further input from me...

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:

My 'cultural backround' is straight out of Boston, MA, where I was born and raised, you ignorant cocksucker. 'Friendly advice' in my book is maybe making some helpful suggestions, and perhaps even pointing someone to a spot to hunt, not trying to scare them off with silly misconceptions about closed societies. Get real. Funny that the two most adamant about ME being so closed live west of the friggin' Mississippi...What a joke.

I doubt D99 is trying to 'fit in'; the guy just wanted some info on hunting. Is that so difficult to wrap your head around?

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slug and Kamo seem fully capable of perfectly illustrating my points without any further input from me...

As I said...