Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you a hunter or a rifle nut?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
While I have been fortunate to have hunted quite a lot, I admit that the guns are far more interesting to me on a day to day basis. I'm not a collector any more, like Alan I prefer a few really fine pieces in preference to sheer numbers. And I intend to hunt enough to use all of what I do have, so as to give them all a bit of "history" to reflect on when I'm old.
To answer the original question, I guess I would take the guns and a good safari to Tanzania to use a few of them on.

[This message has been edited by John S (edited 08-31-2001).]

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see that is necessary to make a distinction. If I am not hunting I am preparing myself and gear for the next hunt. Both are my passion.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would hunt unlimited and use the 375 H&H for everything from coyotes to buffalo. I have used mine on deer,eland, coyotes, nilgai but no buffalo or squirrels yet. Hmm squirrel season opens in November if I don't miss remember. Buffalo will have to wait until '03. Best of luck on those tests
M-70. Good hunting "D"

[This message has been edited by D Hunter (edited 09-01-2001).]

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I can't remember never haveing shot a gun, and I can't remember the first time I was on a hunt. I come from a hunting family, who, for the most part, had a 12 ga shotgun a 22 and a 30-30, to hunt everything they hunted.
I always liked guns of all kinds, but the ones we had were good enough for the hunting I did, but at the age of about 5 I used to go to town, from our ranch, with my grandfather, and when we went into the Hardware store I was glued to the gun counter. The man who owned the store was Mr. Kelly, and he was a collector, and his store looked like a museum. He also was the only man I had ever met who had hunted Africa, a place of wonderment for me. This was the first person to make me aware of the quality of a fine rifle, and pride of ownership of that quality. He had a H&H 500/465 NE double rifle he had taken Cape Buffalo, and Elephant with,and it was fitted in an oak, and leather luggage case, and that got me loveing doubles, and Africa, the rest is history.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here is, I don't know how you can seperate the two. I guess I have always been both, OR all three, a gun nut, a collector, and a hunter, all rolled into one, I can't imagine, one without the other. I could down size some though, and get rid of some duplicates, and use the money for another hunt! I probably wont though!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<mike aw>
posted
The issue has blurred for me. Do I own rifles and shotguns to hunt with or do I hunt to justify all the hardware and load development. I sold my muzzleloader and my bow hasn't been out of its case in 13 years. When I started 42 years ago hunting was everything, as I have matured I take more pleasure in the tools of the trade than I used to. If I quit hunting I think I would still shoot. Having said that, hunting is a passion.....fine firearms are a delight. I gotta have both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1- I live to hunt
2- I'm not nuts it's just so many calibers
so little time.

RR

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Both! It's a balancing game between what my checkbook will handle and the line in the sand that will put me into divorce court.-MN

------------------
"shoot 'em if you got 'em!"

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll go with limitless hunting with one rifle & one load, however, I would need to have a shotgun as an addition, otherwise I would end up in jail by shooting ducks & geese with a .338.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Stephen A. Camp>
posted
Hello. I really like to hunt and look forward to it each year, but in truth, I am a shooter who hunts.

Best to all.

<Einar Kristj�n Haraldsson>
posted
I am strictly a hunter!

I own only 1 hunting rifle to day a customized m96 in 6,5*55 and an 11-87 shotgun.
I only go to the range to test if my Zeiss is correct, or I am figuring out a new load.
I rather practice on something-different then paper, paper doesn�t move, and sitting on a stool with a table in front of you isn�t the best way to practice for a hunt.
Last year I vas on the brink of buying a second hunting riffle, but decided on a leica range finder in stead.

I hunt with the shogun approximately 35 days a year, and I shoot sporting maybe 15 times a year.
I hunt with the Mauser 15-20 days a yea, and I practice and toy with it the same.

I am also a licensed hunting-guide but I usually don�t guide. I think most hunters would be better of running instead going to the ranch every day!

When guiding someone, you like to se if the can shoot up front, so you make them shot at clay pigeons or plink a hole in paper at 100 meters. I have not met a hunter that couldn�t do that. But after a 10-20 mile hike it is a different story!

So I guess I belong to the first group,

Einar the Icelander!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose what I was alluding to was the fact that we only have so much time and some people seem to spend a lot of time hunting and some people spend a lot of time developing loads or gunsmithing etc.

To me the test is simple - given a pass by the wife for a Saturday evening do you want to

a) go stalking

b) go to the range

I have found myself wanting to do b) on occasion but normaly to do a) either better or differently. My stalking is often very similar so to do it with a different rifle/style can be fun. I'm sure a lot of us are in the middle ground who love to stalk but also have an appreciation of a well engineered firearm.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I am gun nut and hunting is in my soul. Maybe at guns and weapons I like "precision" . . .

Jiri

Posts: 2082 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote