New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What bullet for loaner 30-06?
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
If you an have only one bullet for either the .30-06 or the .300 Win. Mag., it is the 180 gr. Nosler Partition....

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leanwolf:

The purpose of a "loaner" in this case is to provide someone with an interest in hunting-shooting some guidance and training in the art. Everyone is a rookey at the start. Even you. To get a hunting license in this day and age the person must pass a hunter training course, so the person is not a complete idiot.

It is better for someone just starting to be under the tutorage of a group like this and learn to shoot, to learn to identify game, to learn what he needs in a rifle than to just get a rifle, inappropriate as it may be, and go hunting and hope for the best. Do you see it differently?

Posts: 58 | Location: Plain City, Ohio, USA | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Janus:

I understand where you're coming from. However, I will say that I hope you don't let this new hunter/shooter take any of the 350-yard shots you mentioned. That seems a wee-bit far for someone who hasn't thrown any rounds downrange, before.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Janus,

I've always had good luck with the 180 grain Nosler and did exactly what you are considering several years ago with different bullets. I had some old Hornady 180 grain spire point that had the same POI as the Noslers and used them for antelope. They opened up quite a bit faster than the Noslers. Perhaps today I would have used 180 grain Nosler Balistic tips.

Rich ELliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY
I used 350 yards more to indicate what the bullet might need to be capable of, not to suggest a novice shoot at that range. Certainly, for the complete novice, even 200 may be pushing it. However; we will have seen this person shoot at the range before going hunting.
I concur with your comment.

Posts: 58 | Location: Plain City, Ohio, USA | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Janus - "...sometimes a "loaner" rifle is needed for somebody who has drawn a big game tag but has little experience and is not a dedicated hunter-shooter at that point."

None! Let's see, now, the guy doesn't even have a rifle so you've gotta lend him one, is not a "hunter-shooter" from which we can logically infer he couldn't hit a barn door shooting from the barn's inside, and probably wouldn't know an elk from an elephant.

(Now, Joe, see this thing here? It's called a "rifle." Now that thing there is the trigger and if you pull it, that bullet thingy there will go off and go down the barrel and ain't no tellin' where it'll end up, so you kinda look through that glass thing there and if you see some kinda animal out there, you just put that "+" thing inside the glass tube on it and make sure it ain't a horse or man or something like that and blast away ........)

Janus, if you're gonna take some guy like that "hunting", you're better off making him the camp cook. He may burn the bacon and ruin the biscuits but at least, he won't be running around blasting at animals (or people) and perhaps even wounding one so it runs off and dies.

JMHO.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would reccomend the 180 gr woodleigh protected point for such an application.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with a 180gr bullet. Either a nosler partition, Speer Grand Slam or, if buying ready rolls, I'd go with a round loaded with a premium bullet. And buy several boxes with the same lot number on them.
Sorry to say, bullets of the same weight but different manufacturer often shoot to different points.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Get about 6 boxes of Federal Premium 180 gr. Nosler Partitions, put them in a surplus ammo can and don't let them get too hot. You'll never have to go buy anything ever again. Remember the KISS principle.

And put a 4x fixed Leupold on the rifle, you don't want some novice fiddling around with power setting. It'll also be more reliable, and if it is too far away for the novice to see with a 4x power, it's probably too far away for them to shoot.

I'm thinking of going with a similar approach but using a single shot. I loaned my .308 to one of my wife's school mates and I really felt like I was loaning out my wife or dog or something. That said, I'd rather loan a gun than put off a potential new recruit into the hunting/shooting sports.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I have always used the Nosler bullets because they just work.I use the 180 and 200 grain Nosler bullets in my .300 Mag and used 130's in my .270.I also use the Bear Claw in the .270 and I like it.Good bullet.Might have to try it in the .300.

If I was you I would use Federal Premium with the Nosler or Bear Claw and go High Energy if you want the ballistics of the old 300 H&H in your .06.

Good luck on your hunting.......Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Janus, you didn't clarify that you were going to train this person to shoot, firearms safety, game identification, hunting of same, etc. So, if you intend to take this person under your wing, fine. But when learning to shoot, I do not think it can be learned without much practice over some time. How long? Who knows? Everyone is different, but it is not a skill that is learned quickly.

That said, yes, I was certainly a "rookie," once upon a time, and after 53 years of hunting, I am still learning. I will say that my father and uncle gave me much instruction in shooting and safety, on .22 rifles, before finally giving me one of my own. I probably fired six or seven thousand rounds of .22, target shooting, tree squirrel, and cottontail rabbit hunting, before I was introduced to the old tried and true, "thutty-thutty" Winchester. Many rounds of .30-30 were fired, again under supervision, plus going deer hunting with my father and uncle, before I was allowed to actually carry that Winchester and hunt deer.

I know not everyone has the chance to grow up as I did (rural North Arkansas, late '40s and early '50s), but the foundation is still the same. Much practice with a .22, or very light recoiling centerfire rifle to become a safe, accurate shooter, and field trips to learn "how it's done," before heading out for that first deer hunt.

Good luck to you and your friend. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 168 gr. Barnes Triple Shock would definitely get my consideration.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If the hunter is that inexperienced, please tell me that the experienced member of your group assigned to him daily will limit the newbies shots to 150 yards wuth a rest . . .less offhand.!

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While the hunter safety course is a good beginning, I don't recommend learning how to handle a rifle and hunting all at the same time. If the rookie is serious about this, he will make the time and spend the time at the range before the hunt. Also, you can loan him the rifle -unloaded- well before the hunt. He can learn a good deal about handling the piece and sight alignment and target acquistion in the privacy of his home. Which is a good thing as most guys will do anything including shooting themselves in the foot to avoid looking like a novice in front of their friends. I think this is a good thing that you are doing.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Partition 165 grainer with 58 grains of H-4350, or get Federal Premium. I have loaned my old beater Rem 700 with this load to many people over the years. It has killed Dall and Rocky Mountain sheep, a Mountain goat, an elk, and multiple deer for people at all sorts of ranges. The rifle is beat to hell, but that load sure works for a lot of people. Not too much recoil, and decent terminal ballistics. Oh yeah, just a fixed 4 power Leupold scope. Nothing to fiddle with.
I always give 'em a couple boxes of ammo to practice with.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to thank you for your replies. I obviously had my own ideas, but I thought your input would be helpful and it was. Janus

one of us
posted Hide Post
Janus

You should be aplauded for your efforts in regards to bringing on new hunters. Please go for it. I took a new hunter out this year for the first time. Went to the range and watched the guy shoot a nice sub MOA group off the bench the first time he had a rifle in his hands. Set up clay birds at 100 yards and watched him continue to break them consistantly from different positions. I know of several hunters that have been in the field for many years that could not compare to his skils. The first morning I sat in the field with this guy and watched him pass on three small whitetails before shooting a nice little six point with one very well placed shot. This was all done with a Savage model 99 that my dad bought me 37 years ago. I shot my first deer with that gun and was tickled to watch my best friends son take his first with it. By the way the bullet was a 165 grain nosler partition. Happy hunting!!!!