Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking the 6.5x55 to elk country
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. This is my first post so let me thank everyone here for an informative and lively forum. Now for some personal background. In the last few years I have gravitated away from big game hunting in favor of upland bird hunting. Having a young pointer will do that to a person I suppose. In fact, I haven't hunted deer or elk in about four years. But lately the elk bug has hit me. Not in any major way mind you, but I'll probably go buy a tag this year and see what I can do.

The area I'm most likely to hunt is open and moderate to long shots are the norm. The only rifle I have that is remotely capable under those circumstances is a sporterized Mauser 96 in the original 6.5x55 chambering.

I think we can all agree the 6.5x55 is not ideal. But to say it won't work is wrong. Too much big game has fallen here and in Africa and in Europe over the last century. And until I know how commited I really am to hunting elk this time around, I refuse to go buy a specialized rifle. So what can I do to maximize what I have?

Specifically, help me on the following points.

1) What sort of shot selection do you recommend? Are shoulder shots out? Broadside only? Raking shots?

2) Where would you place the cartridge's effective range?

3) Any pet loads? I've never shot 160 grain bullets. Just 140s. Is the jump in weight and sectional density worth the diminished max. point blank range? Would you go with a premium? My rifle will do 140 grain Partitions at 2700 fps and shoot them into a minute and a half. Would that work?

Thanks for all your help. I look forward to your responses.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally think a 6.5 x 55 is just fine, as I believe in shot placement over foot pounds in the wrong place.

If your rifle will do 140 grain Partitions or Grand Slams etc at minute of angle or better and 2700 fps, I'd say you are all set.

250 to 300 yds, are distances I would feel comfortable with that combo at. I am not a proponet of any shots at Elk at 400 yds plus. Some can do it and do it consistently, but MORE can't but think they can.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I favor bigger rounds but agree whole-heartedly that the 6.5 is capable. For me I'd limit myself to about 250 yards and as for bullet selection I'd be torn between a lighter X or Triple Shock and a 160 gr partition. The 160's performance on moose is a good indicator of what it's capable of but the shots are not usually all that long.
As for shot placement, I generally take the heart first. But if you are confident in the penetration the "aim for the off side shoulder" advice is about the best.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If a bow and arrow will do it then so will a Sweede, but still, with that light of a weapon on that heavy of game you should give yourself every edge possible. Work up a good load, I would also go 140's, and get lots of trigger time. Firmilarity with your rifle is priceless. And I would limit myself to 200-300 yds depending on the size of the critter and shot availability.

Posts: 10139 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
A 140 grain 6.5mm bullet at 2700 fps will dispatch any elk out to 250 or 300 yards given good shot placement. And is doesn't take a premium bullet to get the necessary penetration. The high SD of the long, slender 140s coupled with the moderate velocity combine to afford exceptional penetration. I've never taken an elk with one, but I have taken lots and lots of hogs with a variety of 6.5s, and the performance of the 140s -- even the plain-Jane Hornady, Sierra and Speer -- penetrate like no one's business, and exits are generally the norm.

I prefer a slightly-quartering away shot with the opposite shoulder in the bullet's intended path. But I'd never pass on a full broadside presentation.

Use the Swede, ignore the naysayers, practice, practice, practice and get ready to bring elk home this fall...

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the Partitions as fast as they will shoot well and go hunting. I think you will do well with the swede. I have probably seen 50 head taken with a 6.5 and with decent placement it will do the job very well.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like the .270 win, the 6.5 swede is a capable elk round used properly. Penetration is great with this round, just stay within a reasonable range (300 yds or so) and practice, practice, practice.
Lots of elk are shot and killed by so called "marginal cartridges" in the hands of superior hunters. The way some talk...I should be out giving the elk in my freezer CPR because they weren't shot with the flavor of the month. The man behind the trigger counts for more than the caliber.

Good luck on your hunt. I would take the swede and not look back. I have bagged elk with a swede mauser...you should have no problem if you hunt and not just shoot.

My $.02

swede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I have shot many Kudu with the 243 with no problems, one that I had wheighd had a slaughterd wheight of 174 KG, just take your time don't be rushed and make it a good shot behind or on the shoulder. Just be very carefull for not shooting to low, I had a bullet fail to penetrate a Kudu bull's lower shoulder the bullet disintigrated and this was from a 300 Win with 180 grain bullets, best to use premium bullets if you can.

Flip

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never shot an elk with a 6.5, or any other rifle for that matter. But I do know a fellow who has taken 8 elk with a .25-06 rifle shooting 100 gr. Ballistic Tips. Probably one of the worst combinations for elk hunting that I can imagine. BUT, he is a very careful hunter taking only the perfect shot when presented. Now I've seen this bullet out of a .257 Roberts blow up on the brisket of a whitetail doe. Your 6.5 with 140s or 160s will be light years ahead of his .25 in terms of penetration. Just be very careful and get close, as one should no matter if your shooting a 6.5 or a .338.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am completely unburdened by any real knowledge of what it will take to bring down an elk, but here are a couple of comments that might help you.

If you select the Partition, the loads you use for other bullets may be a trifle on the hot side. The Partition is a more rigid bullet than most, and harder to form. You'll generally see a small increase in pressure, and perhaps as much as 50 fps increase in MV for the same load.

My 1917 Gustav gives me a bit over 2800 fps with 46.5 grains of RL22, and a 140 grain pill.

My eyes are 60 this year, so I've equipped my Swede with Mojo (www.mojosights.com) sights. They aren't expensive, and they do help with accuracy when you're too old to see the rear sight anymore, if your rifle isn't equipped with a scope.

Comments I've heard from others: "6.5x55 kills like lightning", "far more effective than the paper ballistics would indicate".

Hope some of this is helpful... have a great elk hunt!

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I understand , in Sweden the minimum cartridge for moose (smaller than ours) is 6.5x55.They recommend a 160 with a premium bullet.They do have the red deer there also, related to our elk (hart in german and hjort in norwegian)but again smaller.