Find
Notify
Tools

Michigan Bear tags
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted
Two of my friends and I applied for bear tags for the Michigan fall hunt. The drawing results were originally posted on the morning of June 4 on the DNR website. When we logged in we were shown to be successfully drawn. With this information we booked with an outfitter in the UP and paid our deposit.

Yesterday we recieved notification that there was a problem with the drawing and as such we were no longer drawn. I contacted the DNR explaining that we made a deposit here based on the original drawing results. It was like talking to a piece of meat loaf. Their mistake, our problem. We'll be getting no bear tags this year and no compensation for our deposits.

If you have applied for and believe you have successfully drawn bear tags in Michigan I would urge caution before booking any lodging or getting your hopes up. You may be in for a let down as we were. Below is the notification we received from the DNR via email.

quote:
The Department of Natural Resources posted the 2007 bear drawing results on June 13, and they are available to applicants on the DNR Web site, www.michigan.gov/dnr. Applicants who did not apply online will be mailed a postcard by June 22.

Initially, drawing results were posted briefly on June 4, until a problem with these results was identified. The initial results did not correctly reflect preference point status of applicants. Michigan is legally required to accurately utilize the preference point system when distributing bear licenses. When it was determined that drawing results were inaccurate, results were immediately removed from the DNR Web site.

“We are sorry for the inconvenience that the posting of incorrect information may have caused. However, we are pleased that the errors were found and corrected quickly,†said Wildlife Division Chief Bill Moritz. “The DNR wants to assure all bear hunters that their preference points and their hunt selections will always be handled in a correct and legal manner.â€

Hunters with questions about the drawing can call the DNR’s Wildlife Division at 517-373-1263.

The DNR is committed to conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

You are receiving this information because you voluntarily provided the DNR with your e-mail address while purchasing your hunting/fishing license online. If you would like your name removed from this mailing list, please click here: MDNR-E-License@michigan.gov and type "remove" in the subject line.

Thank you,

MDNR E-License
www.michigan.gov/dnr

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feel bad for you, but save their e-mail and go see your small claims court. Takes $35 or so to file, and I'm thinking you have an iron clad case to get reimbursed for THEIR mistake, that they so elequently admit.

Don't take this lying down!

Posts: 49 | Location: Upper Michigan | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Clem,

Your not the first I heard this from. As a guy living in the UP, Ill save a bear for you.

Sorry about what happened.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Small claims court! Also, send copy of email to outfitter to see if they will not give refund. Most have a policy of full refund if cancel within so many days of the hunt. If they will not do a refund this far in advance, then that tells me a lot about their ethics, ESPECIALLY in your situation.

I've NEVER heard of such. I would certainly take Michigan DNR to court, absolutely no question.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I sent a copy of my successful drawing notification (luckily I kept a copy) to the DNR. The director of the wildlife department sent a reply regarding the mistake with the point system and offerd his appologies for any inconvenience but still maintained that we would get neither bear tags nor any compensation for our deposits.

Fortunately our outfitter was gracious enough to refund our deposits. Very classy considering these guys do not make a whole lot of money doing this.

With the refunds we don't really have a claim other than the bear tags and a lot of frustration. Just a word to the wise when planning a hunt around a drawing such as this. Be careful about laying down money until you have your tags in hand.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote