Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting Houston
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted
We are going to see ELO in concert on Aug. 10th. We decided to make a long weekend out of it.
Looking for suggestions on other things to see while there. Also how about some good restaurant recommendations.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goodes BBQ out on I10 going toward Atticks, Papas and PapaCita's on I10 coming into town from the East. Eat at them and your Life will 'still" never be the same! lol Enjoy your time there, and stay in the AC all you can!

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I read the other day that Houston is now the most diversified city in America. Not a fun place to drive. I would recommend spending some time in Texas or Louisiana Cajun country if you are not into the big city scene.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Visit Johnson Space Center. I have a pal who is an astronaut and he gave my friends and me a special tour (I got to sit in Gene Kranz's old Director of Flight Opns chair), but there are regular tours you can sign up for as well.

If you go, highly recommend sushi at the Tokyo Bowl.

If you like to run, Memorial Park is a great place to do that.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Sea Food Danton's on Montrose near Downtown.
Deli food Kenny and Ziggy's Galeria Area and midtown Hwy 58 at Buffalo Speedway.
Mexican Food, El Tiempo also near 59 @ Buffalo speedway.
BarBQ The Pit Room 1201 Richmond Ave.
Luling City Market just inside loop 610 at 4726 Richmond

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Gordy & Sons is supposed to be one of the finest gun stores around, but I’ve never been. I will next time I’m in the fifth ring of hell, aka Houston.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off the subject. Back in the early '70's I was a long haul trucker. Picked up a "vessel" 12' dia, 130' long. Along the south loop not far from I-45 that was still under construction. Talk about a FUN ordeal getting out of that town's traffic! Took it all the way to Minot, ND. Believe it was 11 days of hell.

Those days we used to visit Wade's Steak house and just down the street E was Micky Gilley's party house. I heard a few years later Gilley's burned down. I haven't been back since '75. Can't imagine how much that place has grown by now.

Another party house was the Red Barn S on 'I-45. Fun memories.

Hope you have a great visit while there. While that close, make the drive down to spend a day and night at Galveston. Visit the boat docks, wander around on the banana, shrimp boats. Educational as can be.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live about 40 miles south of Houston which is 14 miles north of Galveston. Saw an article this morning in the local paper about how they are trying to get more money from visitors, aka, the tourist industry. Talking about raising the rates for parking on the seawall to look out over the Gulf. If you can find an empty hotel room it will be quite expensive.
I saw an electric road sign letting folks know about the 90 minute to board the ferry for the short ride to Bolivar. Last info I heard about the beach said the sea weed was terrible.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An ad in the paper yesterday stated over 56 million dollars had been collected by the city of Galveston for short term rental taxes since 2015. Also putting in cameras and heat sensors to see if there are ghosts on a submarine used during WWII. Trying to get folks interested in visiting the sub.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote