New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAVORITE BULLET?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is your favorite hunting bullet/manufacture for Deer and elk. Ie mine are Deer= Nosler BT and elk= Partition although I've only killed on elk. I use partitions on pigs also. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
For me it is/was the Barnes "X" Flat Base. Now I have moved on to the TSX for the calibers I have used up my supply of the "X" Flat Bases. The one exception is in my wife's .257 Robert's and that little gun does really great with 117 grain Remington Core Locts.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the rifle but I have excellent success using the following:
Sierra Gameking
Nosler Accubond and Partition
Hornady I-lock
Trophy Bonded Bearclaw

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
All of my hunting loads currently contain either a Barnes TSX or TTSX or a Nosler Partition.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady interlock
Barnes TSX
and CEB's

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot Nosler BTs out of all of my rifles
for ALL the game I've hunted the past 25 yrs.
Elk, Deer, Antelope, Big horn sheep, Shiras Moose
Black bear, Alaskan Moose, Caribou, Wolves,
Auodad, Axis, Feral hog, Mt. lion.....
Love em

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Nosler partition for most everything, Though I have many with the old core-lokt and power point also.. Interlocks have done me well also.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3078 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Sierra Gamekings in my .257 Roberts and 30/06 Sierra Prohunters in my sons .257.
Barnes TSX in .223.
Elk, Deer, Antelope, Bighorn, Mountain Goat, hogs etc.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady Interlock BTSPs for all three calibers I reload for deer and antelope (.243, 25-06, and 30-06). I used to use their Interbond for elk with great success too before I quit hunting them and just help others now on those big rascals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt deer but my favorite hutning bullets are NorthForks followed by Partitions.
IMHO, Northforks seem to be slightly more accurate and they don't lose as much weight as a Partition. No flies on a Partition tho.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Trophy Bonded
Swift A frames
Northfork

Although I shot quite a few deer with Winchester power points and they worked fine.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I made the switch in 2008 from Sierra GK's in just about everything to Nosler Accubonds

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Nosler Partitions in 7mm to 30 caliber rifles since 1962 for deer and elk and have never seen any reason to change.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Because I live in condor country (never have seen one or talked to anyone who has seen one Roll Eyes) we are required to use lead free bullets. Barnes TSX and TTSX in everything.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.284 Hornady Interlock, 162 gr. BTSP.

18 species of North American Big Game,

a dozen African, including leopard, and half a dozen exotics.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
For deer it is the sierra gameking bt. For elk it is the Nosler partition.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes for all big game in N.A.

Break both shoulders ..... no tracking.

or, end to end.

Bang, flop. Downside ? Bullets recovered are 1 in 20, no bragging rights.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Speer Grand Slams (NA & Africa)
Nosler Accubond (NA & Africa)
and recently I've moved to CEB's (Cutting Edge Bullets) as they now have most all calibers covered in a variety of deadly projectiles for anything that walks the earth. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6823 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Ballistic Tip for deer. 120 grain in the 7mm08.

Nosler partition for elk.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes TSX and TTSX in most calibers. Nosler Partition in the remainder.
Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Northforks for the big stuff because of accuracy and weight retention, accuracy and perfect mushrooms. For the smaller stuff anything goes as long as it is tough and shoots tiny groups and usually Northforks-Nosler Accubond-Partitions-Barnes TSX-Sierra Gameking. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm just a bit lazy but, when I develop my hunting loads with a particular bullet for my large game rifles, I use them exclusively for that rifle. Depending on what game I'm hunting (varmint, deer, elk and hogs) if I want more or less power, I change rifles. My favorite bullets are as follows:
25-06 - 115 gr. Partitions
300 Win Mag - 180 gr. Partitions (protected points}
358 Win - 225 gr. Partitions
9.3x62 - 286 gr. Partitions

Yep, I like Partitions for hunting. They have never failed me when I've done my job. I have tried others, but keep coming back to the proven Nosler Partition. I've yet to own a rifle that hasn't shoot them well, although I have had to reduce the bullet weight in one situation.

I can assure you, others will disagree!

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Partition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift Scirocco and Hornady BTSP. Swift for Elk and Moose and Hornady for all my deer hunting.

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 150g Nosler BT in my 7mag for years on soft skin animals( deer, sheep,etc) and loved them but I started having some hogs show up while deer hunting and was not comfortable shooting a thick skinned hog with them.So I was changing shells to a 175g partion, shoot the hog then change back to the BT for deer. I think I will go to the 150g partition for everything.

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I like the plain old Speer Hot Cores for deer. Cheap and shoot very well in all my rifles but might be a little soft for elk. I have only taken two elk, both with a 160gr. Winchester Fail Safe from a 7mm RM. When I go elk hunting again, I will probably use Partitions or Accubonds. If I had to have one "kill all" bullet it would be a Nosler Partition.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ballistic tips.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Partition fan. But, I use the 150BT in my 280 @ around 2900fps MV and at 100yds or so I haven't noticed much difference between it and the Partition on pigs or deer. I don't get fancy, on pigs. I aim at the front part of the shoulder. I've just killed two with the 280, I mainly use a 7x57. The BT does tear up the shoulder, but so does the PT and they always fall on the spot. I notice no difference on deer shot behind the shoulder. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggs300:
Guess I'm just a bit lazy but, when I develop my hunting loads with a particular bullet for my large game rifles, I use them exclusively for that rifle. Depending on what game I'm hunting (varmint, deer, elk and hogs) if I want more or less power, I change rifles.

That's about what I do also.

My favorite bullets are as follows:

.257 Ackley - 117 gr Sierra GameKings or 115 gr Nosler BTs - mainly for deer and antelope

7 mm Rem mag - 160 gr Accubonds - deer, elk, or whatever

.30 Gibbs - 180 gr Partitions - elk, moose

.300 Weatherby - 168 gr Barnes TTSX - deer, elk, African plains game, just about anything smaller than a Cape Buffalo

.375 RUM - 300 gr Barnes TSX - Buffalo
- 270 gr TSX - anything smaller than a buffalo

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler 160 gr Accubond in my 7mm Mag.

Woodleighs in my 375 H&H and my 9.3x62 Mauser.

Hornady 160 gr round nose in my 6.5x54MS.

Nosler Partitions in everyting else.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Any bullet that is heavy for its caliber and is not bonded.
Sometimes deer will not offer a broadside shot.
A 30-06 with 180gr bullets works well for me.
If a deer runs after being shot, a exit wound helps with blood trailing.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Barnes TSX or CEB Non-Cons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhat regional as I mainly hunt Texas, but, something I posted in another forum..........

Lets see, Accubonds, what's not to like. Aerodynamic, shoot well out of numerous calibers and rifles, are not as frangible as ballistic tips, leave good blood trails (almost never necessary to track, but blood will tell)
and best of all,
they
kill
stuff
DRT

35 whelen, 225 gr. accubond

35 whelen, 225 gr. accubond

9.3 x 62, 250 gr. accubond

7mm-08, 140 gr. accubond

7 mag, 140 gr accubond

257 bob, 110 gr. accubond

375 H&H, 260 gr. accubond

7 stw, 140 gr. accubond

338 rum. 225 gr. accubond

Anyway, I think I can say that they work for me.
GWB
PS: each animal pictured above was DRT. NO Tracking. Complete penetration

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accubond for all hunting exept for the big beasts. Swift a frames for them.
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
I have been using Nosler Partitions in 7mm to 30 caliber rifles since 1962 for deer and elk and have never seen any reason to change.

465H&H

+1 but only since 1966 ...

Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always used Nosler BT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partitions work well in all my rifles and I like the way bring down big game.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always used BT and Hornady I locks, never have kept one inside anything, deer & hog sized game only.
.243 win
300 Win
375 H&H

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For deer, I use nothing but sierra game king HPBT, and for elk, I really liked the hornady interbonds

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Barnes TSX and TTSX. They are accurate and they work.

Here is the thread from many years ago (2010) addressing the same question(s)

http://forums.accuratereloadin...791064521#2791064521

And pictures of the bullets I recovered from gravel.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote