Find
Notify
Tools

What Would You Do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
Ok I went on a great hunt a couple months ago & I had a early flight home so I had the Outfitter (who was also my guide) drop me off & I grabbed a hotel the last night & got a cab to the airport the next morning.
Well just after I got into my hotel I realized I forgot my FoxPro caller (with all my hand calls, carrying case, etc, etc) in the back seat of his truck. I called him right away (he had just left 30 minutes prior) & said hey I forgot my caller in your back seat, he said hey no problem I’ll ship it to you this week.
Well that was the first week of December & I get the run around almost every day & have still not received my caller. Now this is a FoxPro FX5 (they do not make them anymore) & cost about $600, not to mention the other stuff in the bag. The guy told me last night that the caller was shipped last Monday but he had no tracking number as it was shipped USPS & it would be at my place in two or three weeks. We live across the country from each other but this is 2010 & NOTHING takes three weeks.

So I’m feeling I’m just out the caller, what to do now, not a lot of legal recourse I’m guessing? What would you do?

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully he has just procrastinated a bit. I'd like to think he would not do anything to jeapordize his reputation/business. Hunting forums are viewed by thousands - if he ends up screwing you let everyone know. If you don't get it when he said you should, let him know and stay on him. For now, I would be patient - don't say or do anything you might soon regret.

Posts: 172 | Location: DAPHNE, ALABAMA | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It kind of sounds like I might know that guy.
Is his last name Martinez? Sorry I know thats not funny.

But seriously...I am very sorry and hope everything works out. Did you have a good hunt?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last Oct, I pulled out of an elk camp and about 30 mi down the road I realized that I left behind my rifle scabbard, saddle bags and pack w/contents. Like you I made a call back to camp and was assured everything would be shipped home for me.
Well it took abit longer than I expected. Guess they got kinda busy with deer season, but everything arrived several weeks later.
I'm sure your calls wiil too.

Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what's the problem with paying for the gas to turn around? I know I'm being a smart-burro, but it seems easier than shipping it. All that aside, if he waited a bit and used it a few times and killed a few yotes or whatnot, more power to him. Hopefully, it will be received as stated, and I agree with the others in saying don't be hasty.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well a couple months sounds a like a long time.What is your alternative to waiting for a couple more weeks????

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
sdeshazo wrote:
quote:
We live across the country from each other but this is 2010 & NOTHING takes three weeks.

I guess you have never used the USPS before... Roll Eyes

We recently killed out our PO box and had mail forwarded to our home. I was told that this can add a day or possibly even two to the arrival of our mail.

Hmmm...I have an item here that was mailed from within our own zip code on Jan 13th. It arrived Jan 30th. Yes, that's right, this article arrived 17 days after it was mailed -- all 9 miles from our house.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Guys I really appreciate all the help & yes the hunt was great, I took a nice animal & had a great time.
I know outfitting during hunting season is work in the field & thought two months was enough time but I really have no choice but to be patient. I had offered from the get go that all he had to do was walk into a UPS or FedEx & call me that I would have them pack it up & pay for everything. He chose (he says) to mail it USPS & has no tracking number or anything, so I have no idea if it was even shipped or anything.
Just seems like I’m up a creek without a paddle.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Had this same thing happen with an outfitter/guide in Canada. My wife misplaced a nice custom knife while there and it was discovered in the guide's truck after we had departed. He reported to us and assured us that he would send it along. There were numerous delays from his end, but he finally came through when he stuck it in with the finished bear rug at the taxidermist's. So, it took a good 6 months or so, but we got the knife and all is well. Just stay on the guy and I suspect he'll make it right.

As a related aside, I've got to say that I haven't been on many guided hunts, and all have been great. However, most outfitters/guides seem to lose some of that "personal attention" after the hunt is done. If they were as responsive after the hunt as before, I bet we paying hunters would be repeat clients more often. I'm just sayin'...

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
let me come in from the other side of the fence
but also add that i'm not making excuses for the outfitter.
after 20 yrs of guiding in camps all over the west, you would be amazed at the amount of stuff that hunters leave behind.
rifles,binos,knives,clothing,shaving kits,boots
cameras....etc etc
it is a busy time during the season to take time to return items left behind,
the next hunter doesn't want to lose a minute
of their hunt while the guide or outfitter
"takes a moment to stop and mail something back to a forgetful hunter"
add that the guide/outfitter probably hasn't seen his family in weeks and this may have the priority over the return of misplaced items.
directly after the hunting season is the show season and the work that goes into the schuduling of shows and displays and plane tickets.....
give the guy alittle time and patience and i'm sure you will be returned your lost items
after all if you trust him to hunt with you can probably trust him with your calls.
a tip for future hunts and hunters
we all make lists of gear to take on a hunt
pack the list w/ you also and use it to ensure that you pack for home all the stuff you brought on the hunt/trip with you.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with ravenr. I would apoligize to the outfitter for putting him out with my screw up, and be patient. Your expecting him to respond with something that takes time and effort, with a situation that he did not create. You did.
Also when it comes to this being shipped or mailed; we have had it take ten days for a package to go from here, to the next town across the bridge, just 3 miles away!
My approach would be to wait a few days, then if it does not show, give him a call and tell him what a great time you had and that you are sure looking forward to getting your caller back, so you can get back to calling again; politely.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it was shipped USPS & it would be at my place in two or three weeks.

If he shipped it parcel post that's about right. Parcel Post is cheap because it moves when there's nothing else to move. The USPS is going through some very tough times right now. Electronic bill pay has caused a huge drop in their business and hence revenue. First Class letter volume is off something like 20% in the last four years. Just in my house alone, there's ten envelopes a month that don't go USPS with a stamp since we switched to electronic bill pay.

Of course that doesn't explain things like what Bobby described. I had a certified letter take 7 days last year. It went all of 6 blocks and was handled by the same post office all the way. That would get you fired at Fedex.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This time of year, post Xmas, things should be moving right along. I'd go to the PO and see what the protocall is for filing a claim. Or give him a call and ask that he file a claim.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
WOW guess what was on my door step when I got home today, my caller!!
I guess I got all worked up over nothing. I had such a good time on the hunt & was worried this would leave me with bad taste in my mouth, but all is well.
I'll sure keep better track of my gear going forward avoid this issue all together.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out and you got your caller back. Like ravenr posted, sometimes it takes a guide a while to get to incidentals. It is a good ending to what you said was a good hunt.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thats good news.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you send the Guide a Thank You and the cost of the Shipping plus a token Bonus for "your forgetfulness", you will have it all back to normal. Then you can begin planning the next trip.
-----

The older I get, the more the forgetfullness becomes a factor. Just the way it works, so don't be too hard on your self.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Once you send the Guide a Thank You and the cost of the Shipping plus a token Bonus for "your forgetfulness", you will have it all back to normal. Then you can begin planning the next trip.

Well said HC.
-----

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 on what HC said. Let's see how long it takes YOU to get to the PO. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Well said guys & its going out today.