New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tucannon-Wenaha Bull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After 17 years I finally drew a trophy bull tag for the Tucannon-Wenaha Wilderness unit in my local Blue Mountains.
I hooked up with a packer and my dream elk hunt was set for Oct. 20-27.

My ride on the two hour trip up to camp.

There were 18 mules and horses in the pack train.

Base camp for the next week.

It's big country up there, 2000 yds across this canyon. The far ridge is where I eventually killed my bull.

After four days and with only two days left to hunt, I came up with a plan to make a play on one of the bulls we had seen in the same area on two occasions. We watched him until dark and walked out of camp the next morning at 5:11am. When we finally got on that far ridge, we had two bulls bugling within 100 yds. It was about 8am and I knew they were going to bed down in the dark timber where they were now. We just rested on the ridge until the afternoon, hoping they would get up and move again into an area I could get a shot. Finally we heard a bugle farther out on the ridge and we carefully made our way out there. The ridge became very narrow and open with steep drops on both sides. The bull continued to bugle but we weren't sure of his location. With the ridge narrowing down to only about 15 feet across, we were easing our way out and glassing down into the timber on both sides. He was with two other bulls and was raking the limbs of a big pine tree. I snuck up and shot down at 75yds. He hunched up on the first shot and I hit him two more times very fast before he made a step and tipped over.

I used my Mod 70 30-06 with a Leupold VX6 2-12 and a 180gr. Nosler Partition hand load. It felt great to score with old Reliable. I think I was the only hunter up there without a Super magnum and a huge NightForce scope.

There were no mules or horses in camp during the hunt and after leaving at 5:11am that morning, we practically crawled back in at 10:30pm after a GPS'd 18 mile round trip.
We got a hold of the packer and he informed us that he was coming in from a different trail head and would meet us at the bull at 2pm the next day. That meant we only had a fifteen mile round trip the next day.

Thank God for Francis.

Yes, It is wonderful !!

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a monster, and hunted fair n' square, bet you slept really soundly THAT night! Congrats!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull - congratulations!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great bull! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd still be hungover after shooting a monster like that. Congratulations, nice bull, earned fairly.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT will work. Congratulations.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Dog Man you definitely earned it; beautiful country, very nice bull!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As we say in the South, "that dog will hunt!" Congratulations!!!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
World class elk! Way to go!

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Touché ! You earned him and beautiful scenery to boot. Enjoy the back straps !

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a Great bull!
17 yrs is a long time to wait.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Fabulous bull. Looks like some great hunting terrain. Sounds like the 17 years was worth the wait.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is a great bull and some beautiful territory - congrats!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments everyone.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
tu2

Way to go man!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of horsefly2
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bull, beautiful country, fantastic adventure!!
Congratulations, and by the way, if that's more backstrap than you can handle, PM me for my
shipping address!

64,999,987 legal firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Posts: 31 | Location: Maine | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice story and photos, congratulations!

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
congratulations! i grew up in GMU 154, and have done a (very) little hunting in the tucannon. it's BIG country! you did well!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go tu2
A hunt like this would be the bomb space

Well done...CONGRATULATIONS Dog Man!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Someday I will draw a bull tag down there. My dad filled his cow tag in 175, and two days later my buddy shot his spike and first elk in the same area as dad.

Posts: 46 | Location: Colfax WA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Love the old reliable.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on taking a great bull! That is some awesome country. That left bez tine is interesting, it looks like he perhaps suffered an injury and the tine kept growing afterward. That adds neat character to that rack.

I was putting in for Mt. Emily for quite a few years, but gave up as I was 1 point behind the guys getting drawn and got tired of chasing that tag. Gonna use my 12 points somewhere else in Oregon now. All that country - Wenaha, Walla Walla and Mt. Emily is some neat, classic elk country. Wish they gave out a few more non-resident trophy bull tags and way fewer spike tags.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Very nice bull; I really like all the character he has.
That's beautiful country and it sounds like you really earned him.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Outstanding bull!

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Firemann
posted Hide Post
Excellent story.

Posts: 34 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
This is way after the fact of the initial story, but a real elk hunt and one he should be proud of.

None of this 400 point bull in a section of high fence with dozens of other bulls, and we cut the ear tag off before photos.

tu2

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for positive comments.

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
DM, did the antlers on that horse make you nervous? Sure would have me on edge! Yikes!

Great story & a lifetime of memories - Congratulations!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos and awesome bull.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Good stuff!! Thanks for sharing.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. My only elk hunt in the Blues was cut short by the Forest Service. It snowed so much that they ran us off the mountain for our own safety. Had to follow a D-8 Cat out of the woods. One of the wranglers' horse trailers slid off the road and when he was unloading his horses, one reared his head and the lead rope wrapped around his thumb and pulled it off! He just picked it up and wrapped it up in his bandana and stuck it in his pocket. Proceeded to get his trailer out of the snow bank and then loaded up again and drove down the mountain. He was a tough son-of-a-gun.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice bull with a classic hunting set up. Congrats.