Find
Notify
Tools

Drew Iowa!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Drew an Iowa Shotgun tag dancing. Should be an exciting hunt.

We were unsuccessful last year in the draw but, all of us drew in '05 and took some nice bucks with one real bruiser.

Looks like I may get to try out my new Hastings rifled bbl on my 11-87. The Win Partition Gold rounds were shooting quite well last time out. Quite pricey but they should do the trick.

I may run some of the new Hornady SST loads through it before the hunt to see how they shoot. I talked with a local hunter that said he was pleased with their performance and I've liked them for years in my MLers.

Hope you fellas were lucky in the Draw as well.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whereabouts in Iowa are you hunting.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
ScottS,

I'll be hunting in the SW part of the state in Zone 3. We hunted around Oakland in 05 and will probably be hunting alittle South of Oakland this year around Sydney. We stayed at the Motel 6 in Avoca last time but we'll probably stay in Shenandoah this year.

Different type of hunting up that way. We still hunted from stands for three days and never fired a shot or saw very many deer but, the locals were doing well with drives so, we started easing down fence rows and brushy areas and all three tagged out in two days. A 18" 8pt, 16" 10pt, and 1 whopper 162"BC 12pt. I saw one buck that would have put the 12pt to shame in the same thicket the very next day. He was probably the largest whitetail I've ever laid eyes on and I've seen some pretty good 160+ bucks in Texas. I could see as soon as we arrived why the deer were so healthy, I don't think I've ever seen that much corn in one area in my life!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You DAWG!! Good luck and kill a big deer!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

Coming back to freeze your a$$ off again ehh? Two years ago IIRC it was the coldest day of the year during the first shotgun season. Good luck to ya, there are some nice deer taken down around Sydney every year.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Bowhunr,

Yeah man, I'll be there but I hope like heck it's not as cold as it was in '05. Man, This ole Southern Boy just ain't used to those sub zero temps.

It was -13 and spitting snow that first morning that year and I sat in a ladder stand for hours. It was so cold the swift river behind the stand froze over and the deer were walking across the ice!

Maybe this year it will stay above zero for the hunt.

Ya'll have a good one

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monsters in the south central part around Warren and Clarke counties where I grew up. Ex BIL hunts around there and hunts sheds too and gets some unreal stuff.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote