THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What has been your most successful whitetail combo?...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What has been your most successful whitetail combo?...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Getting close to that time again.

What has been your most successful whitetail cartridge and load?

Mine has been 7RM and handloads w/ 150 Nosler Ballistic tips @ a MV of 3100-3120 fps. Some folks find it hard to believe but, I've honestly never had a deer run after using that combo on them and I've shot piles of them w/ it. I dropped down to 140 NBTs in a 7RM one season and had one good buck go 15 yards and another go 20-25. Haven't used the 140s since.

I have a safe full of rifles in different cals and I use and love them as well but, I've just never found a combo as good as the 7RM/150NBT on deer sized critters. It just plain works.

Whats your pet combo for deer?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
7mm REM MAG with 165 grain Sierra Game King BTSP. Does the trick every time.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7RM with 139 Interlocks was my weapon of choice for Mulies.

I haven't shot a whitetail since 2001 and that was with a 54 caliber muzzleloader loaded with 84 grains of FFg blackpowder and a .530 round ball.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
54 caliber muzzleloader loaded with 84 grains of FFg blackpowder and a .530 round ball.

That'll sure punch a hole in one. I haven't shot round balls in about 10 years but, I remember the last whitetail I slammed w/ one. It was a large doe and she dropped at the shot. You gotta love it when the smoke clears and the deer is on the ground.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah he dropped on impact and slid down a ravine. What a nightmare! December 2001, Chadron, NE had good amount of snow. No meat damage at all

When you hunt muzzleloader, you should go traditional (real black powder, round ball, and open sights). That's the best part about ML hunting. Wink

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 in 300 a 165gr rem at 2400fps. I have killed deer with it from feet to over 300 yards.

Just plain works.

But then I have killed deer with every thing on up from a 22lr to over 40 cal DGRs.

Its more about shot placement then cailber.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.280 with 150gr Noslers loaded by Federal. Killed about 20 deer and 5 elk with them.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of rifle's shooting ballistic tips. Any thing from a 50gr in a 220 swift to a 180gr in a 300win.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
30-06 with 58.5grs 4350 behind 150 partitions.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
.270 Win w/ 130 grain Nosler solid base or Rem PSP Corelokt (F210, 59 grains RL-22)

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Would it surprise anyone if said .308 Winchester and the Nosler 165 ballistic tip? I've killed more game than I can remember at this time of my life and know wit a certainty that this load works.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.270 WCF, 130gr Hornady SST, 60gr H4831, fed215. It always made sure they died. Now it's accubonds, and riple shocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 WCF & plain old 130gr Hornady Spire points and 55gr IMR4350. I don't think that I can even begin to count the number of deer and antelope that combo has taken for Dad and I.

I have played with and used other combinations successfully, but that is the standby go to load. I always have a box of those loaded and ready to go.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the 140 Nosler ballistic tips in the 7mm RM, also really like the 165 Sierra gamekings in 30-06. one load that really surprised me was the 180 gr hornady ssp in the .357 maximum - dropped deer like a bad habit. Just my experience

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 win and any good 130gr bullet.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader ----- My most successful Whitetail rifle was a Model 336 Marlin 30-30 with open sights, when that is all I could afford. I took my best Bucks with 150 grain Winchester silvertips. Since then I have entered the reloading world and taken many Deer with .308, .300 Winny, .340 Wby, .358 STA, .257 Wby, 7mm STW. All scoped rifles honed and tweaked by hundreds of rounds shot. That old 30-30 now has a 3X Weaver scope that is the starting point of all my 6 grandsons, and will always be in my Safe as long as I am around. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
7mag, 150 Btips

270, 130 TSX

270, 150 Btips

30.06, 168 TSX

...to name a few.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlin 1894 in 357 mag with 158gr JSP killed over 20 whitetails, and a browning eurobolt 243 with 100gr sierra BTSP killed last 17 straight. Shot them with everything from the 357-7mm RM, caliber didn't mean as much as the handling capabilities of the rifle being used.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to whitetail rifle is a 25-06 Stainless Fluted Remington Sendero. 120gr Nosler Partitions with a stiff dose of IMR-4350. Nightforce glass.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
My favorite is my 45-70 shooting 350 grain interlocks at 1950 fps. It just seems to make deer fall down!!

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several favorites.
6.5-284 w/120 gr. BT, or 30-06 w/150 gr. BT.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have a number of combos that I am fond of and have been successful with. But over the past 4 years or so, it definitely has to be a Contender carbine with a 20 1/8th inch Bullberry barrel in 7mm Bullberry. Using either a 130 grain Sierra Single Shot Pistol bullet at 2505 fps or one of three Nosler 140 grainers (Ballistic Tip, Solid base spitzer and Accubond) at around 2480 fps, the little rig -- now topped by a Monarch 3-9x40 -- has never let me down and is phenomenally accurate.

Out to 250 yards, it is extremely lethal on deer-sized game and serves to remind us that it doesn't take a jug-sized case and several tons of energy to harvest a whitetail or mulie.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.308 Win Model Seven Remington shooting 180 grain BTs. Shot 4 red stag too, as well as 5 black bears with this combo, though I like a stouter bullet for bears.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
What has been your most successful whitetail cartridge and load?

Mauser 98 in .270, 130 gr. Sierras.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
is there anything at 243 or above that won't kill a whitetail?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
is there anything at 243 or above that won't kill a whitail?

45-70.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 270 win. with 130 gr. solid base boatails
mgun

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never killed a whitetail, is mule deer and blacktail ok?

25-06 w/117gr Hornady
6.5-06 w/140gr Hornady
7x57 w/154gr Hornady RN
280 Rem w/139gr Hornady
7mm Rem mag w/160gr Speer hot core
308win w/165gr Hornady

There's been a few others but these were my favorites. This year it's a 6.5x55 w/140gr Hornady

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Now Dan,

That is funny...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Model 70 DBM in 270Win. The load is 59 gr. of H4831 with a 140 gr. Failsafe. I'm going to switch to Northfork bullets as I think the failsafes are a little too tough for whitetails. Plus, I really like the Northforks!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though I have several custom rifles, my Micro-Medallion in 308 always seems to go to camp with me. Someone always seems to get a deer with it. It is my loaner gun as well as a favorite.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 70 .270 with 130gr Corelokts.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
.270 Win 130gr bullets. Used to be Hornaday Interloks, now Barnes TSX.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to whitetail combo is my Reeder Custom .41RemMag named The Green Machine by Gary himself. Current load is 17.5/2400/250g GC from CPBT

Love Those .41s'

Posts: 80 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
30-06 cartridge, 60 grains of H4831 in Federal case with CCI large rifle primer and 280 grain SPT Sierra manufacture.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Car

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
257AI; 120gr Speer Hot Core.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.358Winchester
at least 60-70 of them with Speer 250gr.
NONE of them took more than one round.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
6mm rem in model 7 remington. I've killed about 30-35 deer with it, no issues. Also 300 weatherby when I'm feeling it. I've only killed a couple with it so far. One ran off as if not hit, one couldn't hit the ground fast enough.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
Model 70 .280 120 Hornady SP and IMR 4895

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote