New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alberta or New Brunswick for Moose?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which of these two would be the better place to hunt moose? Which has the better average horn spread? What size moose could you expect in either area?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would choose northern alberta over new brunswick but I would choose northern b.c. over either due to a much higher number of trophy sized moose available.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New Brunswick only has a three day season, Albertas is much longer depending on what area. In N.B. you have to put in for the draw yourself, can take years, then hire an outfitter to guide you. In Alberta you can buy a hunt from an outfitter and hunt every year providing you can find an outfitter that isn't booked up in advance, they are also on a quota limiting the number of tags available to them but they are guaranteed these tags every year. If you want the bigger bulls go to northern alberta, less hunting pressure. In N.B. there are also some very large bulls because of the extremely limited season there and the reasonably high numbers of moose, quite a few live to ripe old age in some areas. With a season only 3 days it can make things pretty tough even though it is in calling season. The cost of a moose outfitter will likely be much lower in NB. For the biggest moose look to northern B.C. and the Yukon/NWT or of coarse Alaska.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Where have you been? B.C. may offer what you need. A very big company in B.C. is offering a 7 day horseback hunt for $8350 with nearly 100% success for Canada moose in the mid 50" range. On a ten day schedule you can take a moose and an elk for $9950. This is the one that really interests me.

Contact me if you need more info.

Mark

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I have a New Brunswick moose tag for this year. I was just drawn. This was only my second year trying to draw too. New Brunswick gives out 100 tags to non residents and 1000 to residents each year. So I guess I "won" big time. Somewhat a lucky person I guess.

Here are my costs:

6 days hunting INCLUDING all of the following: 3 days of bear hunting, black bear tag, 3 days of moose hunting and salmon fishing if I tag out early on my moose. Also includes guide, food and lodging, pick up at airport. I hear tagging out early is quite possible as moose numbers are high and NB manages them well.

Cost for above: $1300 + moose tag and travel expenses

Not bad for two big game animals! That is why I decided to try and go to New Brunswick, simple economics and the fact they have a good moose population. My next moose hunt will be in the Yukon and I have begun accumulating points for Shiras Moose in Wyoming.

If I were you, I would give NB a chance! Of course you will see my results by October.

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark:

In Alberta, you're hunting western Canada moose, which are a larger subspecies with greater trophy potential. These moose have lots of palmation and lots of short points on their racks. Average spreads are quite high as well, with 50 inchers being relatively common.

In New Brunswick, you're hunting eastern Canada moose that are somewhat smaller in body size, and have long but narrow palmation, and fewer but usually longer points. A 50 incher here is an exceptional animal.

If you're comming all the way from Alabama, I'd suggest you take a look at Newfoundland. You're hunting the same eastern subspecies as in NB, but the numbers are higher and most outfitters can boast success rates above 70% on bulls. There is also the possibilty of hunting woodland caribou if you tag out early. Tags are "over-the-counter" as I understand.

Rick

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick I believe there are only three sub species of moose recognized, Alaska-Yukon moose, Canada moose, and the Shiras. The moose in most of Alberta are no bigger than they are in Ontario or N.B. A fifty inch moose in N.B. is no rarer than in Alberta and body size is comparable. Some of the northern Alberta moose can get larger but that is mostly the Alaska Yukon gene influence. New Brunswickers usually shoot the first moose available because of the 3 day only season, they don't often hold out for a trophy like we do in Alberta as we have a much longer season to hunt for a bigger bull therefore more of the bigger bulls get shot here as opposed to NB. If I had a month to hunt either place I think I would take NB as there are a larger percentage of mature moose in the herd there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

You got a PM.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are so fortunate as to draw a tag in NB you should go. Sepember is good for Atlantic salmon as well then although tough to arrange or expensive.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Looks like I will get a chance at salmon if I tag out early with the outfitter I chose. He offered to take me with no extra charge other than the license. So I will take him up on it if time permits. Maybe I can get some fish smoked for the winter!

When I look at what something like this would cost in Alaska it makes me feel real lucky.... Moose, bear, salmon all in one place. Neato!

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have friends that fish the Miramachee annually. I'll see if they can get me some info on flies, etc and send it to you

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't think you can keep Salmon but you may be allowed to keep a couple grilse(salmon under 5lbs). Try woodcock hunting if it is open, its a blast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do!

I know when I was hunting 'bou in Labrador we were only allowed to take out a small amount of fish. I think it was just two. I never had time to do any fishing then so it would be fun to do some this time around.

Will see about some birds if possible. Sounds like there is lots of hunting to be had in NB.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I would appreciate that info.