New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHAT TO TAKE ON AN UNGUIDED ELK HUNT
 Login/Join

<Guest>
posted
What exactly do you take with you when you are going into some pretty rough terrain to hunt Elk by yourself.

Also, of all of the hunting boots you have tried, which brand and model have you found to be consistently the best at being waterproof and giving good ankle support for rough terrain.

I ask becasue where I am going this fall is going to be quite a ways into some pretty rough country, which will be a new experience for me.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
I take whatever I think I may need for weather conditions that range from 70 degrees to below zero. Colorado is famous for quickly changing weather.

I think the most important eqpt to have is good optics, meat handling gear, and good boots. For optics, I use Leica 10x42's. For meat handling gear I use a takedown Rhino frame and carry it in my daypack along with a folding saw and enough gamebags to bone an elk when it hits the ground. I also make sure I have enough coolers and ice to hold an elk if the weather is warm. For coolers I use the 156 QT models made for deepsea fishing by IGLOO. For boots, I've found the Russel Sheep Hunters in 10 inch with an air-bob sole and 400 gr of insulation to be best for me.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Blue-If it's not snowing out I wear tennis shoes for foot wear.There much quieter and lighter and plenty warm.If there is snow I wear my Sorrels.I do have some "White logging boots" but don't like them to hunt in.I also wear BDU's(6-pocket cargo pants) and use all the pockets for knives-Compasses-Saws-rope etc and the most important Lunch and T.P.?Binoc's are a must and good gloves.I don't like packs as they slow me down for a quick shot and I rarely get far enough away to have to pack one out by myself.I like to keep it light from the waste up.

Everyone has a different meathod or things they prefer to have and I like to keep it as light and quiet as possible with just the basics.

Best of luck.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you mean what do I take into the hills each day, here it is: daypack, emergency food, water, small first aid kit, warm clothing (if I'm not wearing it), rope or twine, plastic sheet, space bag, space blanket, fire starting stuff, knife, whistle, gps, two way radio, topo map, compass, light/batteries, and everything else I might need to hunt and field dress an animal. Sound like a lot, but you did say alone and rough country. The whole mess probably weighs less than ten pounds not including binocs, rifle, and ammo.

Like MAC said, mountain country can go from 70 degrees to 20 degrees and blowing snow in a shockingly short time. Even if you're healthy and uninjured, all the above items can come in real handy and can make the difference between an uncomfortable night out and a funeral.

Posts: 30 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been backpack hunting the CO Rockies since '75, and the single best inovation for "hard hunting" i've ever seen has got to be the sip tube for water bottles or dromedary systems. This system allows you to stay hydrated in any condition while hiking. When your water is in your pack with no "quick" access you tend to not want to take yur pack off to get to it often enuf. Not much of a problem when you're 20-?, but when you start hitting the 40+ side it becomes much more of a consideration.

Take the usual survival gear, but instead of an emergency blanket or bag take a big garbage bag instead, and cut out a hole for the head-- better to keep warm air in.

The key to hunting any environment well is COMFORT. Achieve it efficiently and you'll be fine.

Avoid Giardiasis-- i got it once, and went thru hell trying to get rid of it.

Make sure your flashlight is light/powerful and a headlamp instead of handheld. EXTRA BATTERIES.

MRE's for meals except one tasty meal a day. Sugar-- best thing God ever made.

Everything should be light, efficient,`and portable

If you have to carry the animal out yourself, don't waste time gutting animals-- skin, quarter, and bone.

Salt the hide quickly- it will spoil faster than the meat.

If you're rifle hunting establish a "tactical" system, to allow for the best usage of the firearm when that bull steps out at 300 (or is it 350 or 375...?)

Stay Hydrated!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a lot of experience at a rough country hunt, which I assume is the case or you wouldn't be asking the question, the first thing I'd take is a partner. The second would be some horses. Anything can happen and I've personally had a horse in the river and lost my tent and heating stove before I made it to the camp. had another friend who got packed in and had to be hauled out to have his appendix removed, so I wouldn't go alone if you're talking wilderness. I was in the Frank Church wilderness when the horse jumped in the white water (4000 square miles of no people) and they helicoptered out a man who was thrown by a mule and broke his back in there. One thing I've noticed is every time I go I take less, when you pack in 8 or 10 miles there quickly become a lot of things you can do without for a week or two. One horse can pack everything I'll need for a week with room to spare.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On your first trip, you're gonna take way too much stuff. Make a list of it all, every little item. When you get back, go over the list and refine it so that next time, you'll leave some stuff home and add other or different stuff. I do agree that several (not one) industrial size and strength garbage bags can be worth their weight in gold. Have a topo map and a compass AND KNOW HOW TO USE THEM. Batteries can fail in your gps and any other little gadget you have along. Also clouds can turn your gps into a very small and poor boat anchor.
Emergency kit: in a zip lock baggie, put a candle, matches, small note pad, pencil, tube of neosporin, roll of electricians tape -brightly coloured, candy bar, several sheets of paper towels -good bandages can be made with pieces of paper towels or t-paper and tape. Carry this with you all the time you're hunting and do not use anything out of it for a casual reason.
And a companion is a must. You don't have to hunt together nor does the companion even have to hunt, ie: wife, significant other, whomever. Each day tell the other person where you intend to hunt. And stick to it. If you get hurt with several thousand acres of rough and remote around you, lonely and scared takes on a whole new meaning. Be sure to have on your person health information, blood type, emerg. fone numbers and other pertinent information such as who gets your rifle when they find your body.
Before you leave home, leave a map with as close an x as possible to where you're going to be.
BE IN SHAPE!. If you're gonna be much higher than you're accustomed to, its going to take a couple of days to adjust even if you're in good shape.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
blue, this part is very true:
If you get hurt with several thousand acres of rough and remote around you, lonely and scared takes on a whole new meaning. Be sure to have on your person health information, blood type, emerg. fone numbers and other pertinent information such as who gets your rifle when they find your body.

Send me a PM and I will give ya HOWARDS PHONE NUMBER

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I edited some of the post since i thought you were hunting with others, but what those guys are saying is certainly true-- i hunt with 2 other guys most of the time, which is ideal for hauling out 1 boned elk in 1 trip. But it is possible to do it yourself after you have some experience. 2 years ago i was hunting for bighorns in the Sangre de Cristo's of CO, and met another hunter who had little mtn. experience. He hauled in quarts of gatorade instead of a small H2O pump as he should have, along with a mtn of other unnecessary stuff on a cheap backpack, and he was really sorry to have "gone in" with so much crap. He had blisters on his feet, and although he was still hunting he was UNCOMFORTABLE and having no fun. He left early 'cause he was poorly prepared. If it had snowed on him he would have been pushing it just to be up there. Best to go with others if possible-- especially someone who has done it before. Besides that it's not as much fun to go by yourself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ss, as you said it would make alot more sense going with another hunter. There are many factors that will play a big part in a good hunt in the back country. Amount of time you plan to spend, how far you plan to get back in.

Two things come to mind: 1. weather that can go from mild to downright wild over night in the high country at this time of year. You must be preparred for the worst.
2. physical condition, again depends on how far back you are. If you do get that elk down are you going to be able to get it out. You can have the best gear available but without the proper physical conditioning you won't have an enjoyable hunt.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted alone and with partners in the Colorado high country. My best boots are red wing insulated and water proof. Small meat saw,two knives,meat bag,plastic trash bag,rope,gaters,cloths layered,small flashlight,gloves,at least 20 rds ammo, bottle water,canned fruit,candy,sandwich,matches,space blanket, and that about it. Don't carry rangefinder etc. just too much weight. I'm normally up and gone about 3am and get back to camp about dark. I'll be taking the horses up this year for the first bull only season but my pack is the same. My nephew will be coming out if we get drawn for the first buck season and he will get a bull tag he like to hunt on foot. He's into the rangefinder,gps etc carries a large pack. I just like to keep my stuff simple. Were I go there are other camps plus some of the same guys have been going up there for years and we all kind of check in with each other so if I go hunting alone it's not like I'm alone. Well god luck!

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

On your first trip, you're gonna take way too much stuff. Make a list of it all, every little item. When you get back, go over the list and refine it so that next time, you'll leave some stuff home and add other or different stuff...

Totally agree with the above and those that said take a partner. I've hunted a good bit alone and it is way more fun to have a buddy to share a few laughs with.

I'd also recommend making a "practice run" with the stuff you think you need. No need to wait until you are on the actual hunt to realize you have too much or not enough of something.

And, the practice doesn't necessarily have to be exactly where you will be hunting, but that would be a real bonus. Go to a local Park if you have to and watch out for wierd firearm restrictions. If you can go during the Off-Season, carry a Varmint Rifle of similar weight as the one you will actually carry on the Elk Hunt. Just try to make the weight of all you tote as similar as possible to what you expect to carry.

Of course the weather will be totally different, but that is just the way it works.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer your question ask yourself what makes you comfortable, The other guy's suggestions are all good and by all means take their suggestions.But besides survial gear It's your hunt and if your happy your hunt will be much more rewarding.AS for footwear I use Danner Elk hunter boots and merrell jungle mocs . Both are comfortable and waterproof. Plus the merrels make great camp shoe's. Good luck.

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Blue,

I have to add my 2 cents' worth here. I read most of the other posts and can't say I disagree with any of it. Alot depends on where you are going, how you intend to hunt, and which season. I am a CO native and have seen 60 degrees in November and -10 in early October with 2 ft of snow. If you are going into the back country quite a ways, a horse is a good idea, as is a companion. Even if your wife doesn't hunt she can read a good book and enjoy the fresh air. I have yet to take a GPS, it's map and compass for me. I DO take a daypack with the essentials: water, small first kit items, flashlight, a spare bulb and spare batts, extra gloves, a hooded sweatshirt, small game saw, knife, trash bag, some cord, and a disposable camera. I have pared and pared over the years, but I don't leave the camp or truck without my pack. I have been turned around in a snow storm with the deer migrating out past my little fire lit outpost. I calmed down, studied the map, believed my compass and walked out in zero- zero conditions.

I like my current pair of boots: Cabela's Iron Ridge Outfitter Series. I have high insteps and they broke in easily and they are the warmest boots I have ever owned without being "sweaty".

The rifle? Figuring that out for yourself over the years is part of the fun! I shoot a custom .358 Norma Magnum that never lets me down.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
I agree that the most important thing to have with you on any elk hunt is a partner.Even if everything goes as planned and you take all the right gear an elk is a very big animal to try to field dress and haul out by yourself.As for gear I also like to pack light;GPS, flashlight,first aid kit,matches,folding saw with both bone/wood blades(Gerber makes a good one),H2O and H20 tablets,a couple of powerbars,heavy duty garbage bag,toilet paper,a few feet of rope,and a two way radio so you can contact your partner after you drop that BIG BULL!!All the above fit nicely in my fanny pack and I hardly even know it is there.As for boots I wear the Irish Setter Ambush;I will never own another pair of hunting boots that are not Gore-Tex.Good luck on your hunt!!

Posts: 157 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of good advice has been given here and it has been given by folks with experience in the region and I will only re-inforce what they have said. Having a hunting partner is important for practicle reasons: safety (no elk is worth dying for) and logistics (handling gear and dead elk). The basics include packframe, tent, sleeping gear, stove, food, knives, saws, emergency flares (or satallite phone), good American USGS maps, and your rifle. I heard someone mention a horse to carry gear. You'll need something to carry gear. You should have a plan to get your elk out too. Beyond that everything should be based on the theory that you do not want to get wet. Your clothes should keep you dry and then warm, your footwear should keep your feet dry. Gore-Tex boots are good if you can dry them out if they get soaking wet. If everything gets wet for whatever reason, and then it gets cold (say about 25 degree), everything freezes, including your clothes. Stay dry and stay safe and don't hurt yourself with your knive or gun.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Very good advice so far!

I'd like to point out one thing that I regretted. I'm not big on extra crap to carry and left with no sleeping pad. I regretted it not the first few days but the last night was miserable! The temp had dropped well below freezing and my +20 bag wasn't cutting the mustard. A pad to get me up off direct contact would have kept me warmer. I now own a Wiggy Superlight bag.

Boots that are broke in but not broke down are a must. A water filter, dried food, jerky, protien bars, and a mess kit are essentials. I tried MRE's but the chemical heaters didn't always work, they were bulky, and I didn't eat much of what took up the space. A little salt and pepper, pepper sauce, and maybe tang is nice to have. They don't weigh much and if you're packing then weight is the fun killer!

I didn't carry a true first aide kit, but have a short pencil with duct tape wrapped around it, when combined with a hankerchief or paper towel, works fine, a couple band aids and some asprin are a good idea. I carry a magnesium bar with the flint on the back, fire cubes, a candle, space blanket, matches. Plan what clothes to bring that will offer the widest uses. Warm to below freezing conditions need to be considered. A cigarette lighter is nice. Many other things would be nice if someone else is carrying (horse or mule) but take what you need. If using horses a nice tent, pack stove, stadium chairs, prepaired food, even plates and kitchen cooking type stuff can be nice.

I put together a list from one my Dad made up, compared it to one from my friend I hunt with. After choosing I put it together stuffed my pack and weighed it. Initially I didn't have enough room to take what I had picked, then when it all fit, I must be good to go right! Well not exactly, after doing a backpacking trip you realize a lot can be done without. I'm going again this year and will have a few things different that the last. My pack will weigh less, my sleeping bag is better, I will only take dried food. I still have yet to get decent rain gear thats not heavy and am leaning toward Frog Toggs.

One thing that pissed me off, mice got into some of the food. I will probably wrap each meal in aluminum foil to try deter the little bastards.

There's always room for a partner. Packing in a long ways can be pretty dangerous by yourself. Espescially with little or no experience. As other have said, make a plan and leave it with someone, study you maps ahead of time and keep one with you, be prepared to spend the night anywhere.

The last thing is get in shape! I thought I was pretty well conditioned untill halfway up the steepest section the last mile or so! This year I'll be doing some training with my pack on.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue,
As a fellow flatlander there are a few things I've discovered helpfull while hunting backcountry areas in the Rockies. First, get in shape. People talk about the altitude but those hills are steep. Every step is either up, down, or side hill and no matter which way you are going you'll wish it was the other. Second, stay hydrated. You lose a ton of fluids through perspiration and respiration in the high and dry enviroment. I'm convinced that most people that complain of altitude symptoms are really suffering from dehydration. For clothing the key is layering. Hunting in the mountains is like grouse hunting in that you will want to wear fewer clothes than you think you need. I made the mistake the first time I hunted out west of getting bundled up when it was 20 degrees in the morning. I was dying inside of an hour. My standard outfit now is light capiline underwear top and bottoms, Filson whipcord pants and a wool or worstelon shirt. I wear a light fleece jacket over that although I often have that tucked in my pack. I wear a ballcap and military wool glove liners. In my pack I carry a warm hat and gloves, patagonia puffball jacket in a stuff sack, and Cabela's packable rain gear. For boots I've had good luck with Danner's but I have a new pair of Wolverine Rangers that I'm breaking in for Idaho this fall. I consider a headlamp to be a necessity. I carry a pretty thorough first aid kit. Make sure you add moleskin in case of blisters. I carry a good map and compass although to be honest I find navigating in the mountains to be a whole lot easier than the north woods. I carry firestarter, matches, a lighter, space blanket, parachute cord, leatherman, extra film, protein bars, chapstick, camera, small saw, and gamebags. I have a pair of Zeiss Classic 10x40's that I love and I use bino buddies to carry them. They work great at taking the weight off your neck. One last thing is a telescoping hiking staff. I got one on the recomendation of Customstox and I would rather leave my rifle in camp. It is great all the time but is worth double it's weight in gold coming down or across a slope with a heavy load of meat.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Beemambeme

Thank you for that wonderful tip to make sure and decide who is going to get my rifle before I go out and get myself killed on my first wilderness hunt by myself.

I am going to leave it half and half to Howard and Jimmy!

Thank you to everyone else so far for your wonderful suggestions. Sadly, I have no one to go with me. I asked many people and I guess that because I am so hard to get along with nobody wanted to come.

the one thing I do plan to do is make arrangements before hand to hire somebody with a horse to help me get my Deer and elk out in the event that I were to get lucky.

In addition I plan to go out this summer for a "Dry Run" in the area that I will be hunting.

Blue

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I usually take along a couple of good looking gals and a case of whatever they like to drink. Gotta watch out for hypothermia!

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue,

You are on a worthy endeavor. Almost all of my hunting is alone mostly because I'm stubborn and want to hunt my way (hard, and I don't want to see camp in the light of day). My wife tolerates this since I have a good amount of life insurance, I have given her all the kids we can handle, I know most (we never know it all) of what I am doing, I know the area well, take a cell phone (radio if no reception), I am prepared, and she or others know where to come get me when the snow melts off.

Don't take lightly the survival aspect. Others have put together a comprehensive list of what you will need. Read up on this and test all of your equipment prior (including starting a fire in the rain). Be comfortable with what you are doing so if somthing happens you can keep 1/2 your wits about you since anything less can easily cost you your life.

The only thing I would say about boots is that I only go with insulated if I know temps will not get above freezing, I allways use high (6"-8") uppers even in warm temperature, and I allways use waterproof boots. I use wool socks and carry an extra pair if I get wet or cold. I am very picky when it comes to tread patterns. I find the round cleats (smaller when more ice) in the middle work best on snow and ice (have a very sore knee from a fall during a lion hunt/scouting trip a couple months back reminding me that I wore the wrong boots). The insulated boots when warmer can cause all sorts of problems (swelling feet, blisters, odor, etc.).

When we do it right (light tent if any, good bag, dry food, water filter, etc.), me and the guys I know can go into the woods with a rifle or bow in our hands and not much more than a 30lb pack and can stay out in this light setup easily for 3-4 days at a time, about as close to heaven as I can come on this earth.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Deke

Thanks for resurecting this post and for your wonderful answer.

As I contemplate this adventure more and more, and as I read what others with experience have to say, I am starting to realize that this whole deal is a lot more complicated than what one thinks it is in terms of logistics. That doesn't deter me so much as it does make me want to plan it out much better than I originally thought I would.

For example, now I am wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to get to the hunting area a few days ahead of time and take those two days to pack in more stuff a bit further from the road than if I would have just taken stuff the first day of hunting. Sort of like setting up my own drop camp so to speak so that it is all ready for me when I get done hunting on the first day.

In addition, I am now wondering whether it might be a good idea afterall to just rent a horse. I have heard of people that actually find good places to hunt, then buy horses, and pay for their upkeep close to where they hunt so that those horses can be used hear after year.

Lastly, I think that it is important to make sure that if one shoots an animal that it is not just done in any old place. Even if I saw a 400 point trophy of a lifetime, I don't think I would shoot him down in some deep gully where it would take me 5 days to get pieces of him out of there. Better to let him walk.

Anybody do any of their own cow calling. Does it work.

How about food. What do you take in for that week long hunt if you have a few days to do it.

Blue

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Blue,
Getting to your hunting area a few days early will pay off in spades if you are like me and live near sea level, it takes a few days to be able to breathe at 8-10,000 ft. If you can rent a horse, do it, we usually reserve ours for the next year as soon as we get out of the backcountry. As far as cow-calling, it works for me! Get Ed Sceery's(sp?) tapes now and start practicing.
Good Luck!
Russ

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue,

Glad to see your not deterred. Alot of people are and stay close to roads and far from the deep woods missing out on a great experience. However, you are wise to read/talk/think/plan this thing through.

If you have the time it would certainly help to set up camp ahead of time, but be careful not to disturb the area you will hunt.

As far as horses, they can carry alot more than us, but they can also be awnry/loud/stinky (to a seasoned Elk anyway). That one is 6 or 1/2 dozen. If you can do it on your feet (meaning you are in pretty good mountain shape) without killing yourself that is the way I would go. If you are less than certain then get a horse.

As far as the 400pt bull, he is in trouble when he crosses my path, no matter where that will be. I will cook/eat some tenderloin on the spot, carry out the cape ASAP, and get the rest out as I can.

Cow calling does work. I only use it to cover up noise I make. One guy I have hunted with has had success with it, but I like to be as quiet as possible.

The premade dried foods are a good option. I go inexpensive and rough it with foods that are dry/light, but get the job done (coffee/sugar, rice, noodles, jerkey, grits, dried eggs, dried milk, maybe some other dried grains). I take a filter and locate water to save addtl weight. Needless to say, I do lose some weight when I am out there and Pizza/Barbecue take on a whole new meaning when I hit the first signs of civilization.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Deke

Do you pack a hoist or come-along or some other sort of device to help you get the animal off the ground to cape and butcher?

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue,

I have a lightweight gambrel and pulley system. I do not trust it to hold a large bull off the ground. If I can, I use it to get the back 1/2 of a large animal off the ground to make skinning/caping a little easier. I then remove front quarters, bone the ribs, loins, tenderloins, and then the back quarters, then raise higher when its lighter and bone out neck. If hanging is not possible, then skinning/caping/boning one side at a time on the ground is the next best (use the hide as a ground cover if nothing else is available). Of course the easiest is using a pack animal to haul drag to a flatter spot and/or back to camp.

Deke.

<Guest>
posted
Deke

Seems like nobody here mentions carrying a handgun. Would it be foolish to strap a 45 Long Colt on when hunting in the back country where there supposedly a bear or two, or do you rely on your rifle in case someting like that would happen.

Anybody here know what the law is on carrying a handgun in the backcountry in Montana. Special permit required??

Blue

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Blue-I wouldn't carry a large bore handgun personally.I have a .454 and it's to heavy and bulkie to mess with hunting and not needed as whatever your hunting Elk with will certainly protect you.As for Cow Calls,The newer Hoochie Momma is by far the most user friendly Cow Call on the market.We have some stubborn old time hunters here that swear by it over the reads and rubber band ones.I plan on getting one myself because of there out come using it.

Good luck hunting.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue,

In serious grizz country I would consider strapping one on while I was butchering an animal or at camp, but not here in Colorado. There was an incident this past season somewhere out here where someone was quartering their Elk and was pounced on from behind. The guy could not see what it was that was holding him down, but stabbed behind him with his knife and the animal fled as fast as it had appeared. Most believe it was a lion. Last summer in Colorado there was a boy (I think 6yrs old) that woke early and curled around the fire. A black bear grabbed him by the shoulder and tried to drag him off. The boy's father and uncle beat the bear off him I believe with pots and pans. The bear quickly returned and forced everybody onto the tops of their vehicle. At that time the uncle killed the bear with a rifle he had kept in the truck. I guess the point is that grizz is not the only threat, but certainly the most likely. If you do go into serious grizz country, make sure you have good penetrating bullets in whatever you take (no ballistic tips in the rifle, no hollow points in the Colt).

Open carry of handguns in National Forests is okay (not sure about BLM?). Wildlife officers here in Colorado consider any firearm as concealed if it is hidden, but quickly accessible. I have been very candid with the wildlife officers and sherrifs about this and they have explained, "gun in fanny pack you must have a permit, gun burried in back pack is okay." State laws govern the national forests for that particular state. In Colorado (and I imagine elsewhere), the minute you pull your overcoat over that hip holstered handgun is the minute you go from open carry to concealed.

Deke.

<allen day>
posted
A handgun is a nuisance while you're hunting. When I go back for a cart or a horse or a packframe (once I have an elk down) I'll usually lock the rifle away, then put on a lightweight revolver for the balance of the packing. Currently I favor a S&W 386PD in .357 S&W Magnum as my packin' gun. It's amazingly light, superbly accurate, quite weatherproof, and absolutely reliable.

AD

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Blue, I doubt you will have any problems with bears... You're planing on going some place in SW MT right?

By rifle season the bears are for the most part in hibernation. I can't remember ever seeing a bear after about the first or second week of October, not to say that they might be a few out, but I doubt you will have any problems. The density of bears where your're going isn't all that high, there are a few grizzlys around but they're far and very few between, unless you hunt close to Jellystone.

I used to pack a pistol with me all the time, but it was for shooting grouse, a 357 with #7.5 bird shot is money inside of 10 yards... During bow season I'll pack a pistol on day hunts some times but not on back pack trips, it weighs to much, and the likely hood of running into a griz is pretty much nill anyway. Take a can of bear spray, it weighs less and it'll make you taste better

Again its one of those things that you really don't need and is just "extra" weight. Besides the Grizzlys around where you're going aren't all that big, 350-500 pounds... About like your black bears in MN!

I don't think I've ever heard of a bear problem that late in the year were you might be going. You should be fine with out one, unless you want to shoot some grouse, I'd say leave it at home.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen said it better than me. If I was serious about carrying the handgun I would opt for my stainless 44Mag 629 over a 357 any day of the week. A little heavier, but a lot more punch and it gives you 5 more yards range on the grouse

Deke.

<allen day>
posted
Deke, certainly the .44 Magnum does pack more punch than the .357, and so does the .45 Colt. Both cartridges are very good choices, no question about it.

I will say that if I was hunting elk in grizzly country, I'd be hunting with my .338 Win. Mag. loaded with 250 gr. Noslers, and I'd have that rifle with me all the time in the bush--even for packing out a downed elk.

AD

<Guest>
posted
Allen, you kind of hit the nail right on the head. I wasn't really thinking about carrying the piece so much while I was hunting, but rather I don't want to have to be carrying a rifle while at the same time as I am trying to carry some meat in the event I see a legal elk and choose to shoot it.

Ivan

Yea, southwest Montana if I can find a place!! But I thought that it can be warm there during the start of that state's Elk Season so the bears might still be out. I have been chased by a mother black bear after nonpurposefully disturbing her two cubs that were in a tree I was next to, and beleive me, it was not a pleasant expereince I would want to relive with a grizz or anything else for that matter (fortunately at the last second she went after my dog instead of me because the dog was barking at the cubs). Whew!!

Blue

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
blue ol'boy, I highly think you need to take a Freedom Arms 454 6" octagon barrel, adjustable sights, upgraded grips , high polished Premier Grade Since me and Howard gets your guns when you don't make it. Howard can have the 7mm mag, I'll be happy with the FA

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Blue, Your odds of getting hit by lighting are better than getting mauled by a griz (now that I've jinxed ya, you better take the pistol, and ground yourself with a chain . Like I said I don't think I've ever heard of anyone ever having a problem with bears druring gun season, but if it make you feel more secure by all means take it. I don't belive I've even seen a fresh bear track the end of october aound down there however... even if it is warm, seems like they know its "that" time of the year.

Good luck

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Jimmy

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Blue-- one important question i forgot to ask-- how old are you?

One other thing if you're susceptible to getting foot blisters while hiking make sure you take time to put mole skin on when you START to feel a need for it. Last season a buddy of mkine shot a cow elk, and while descending a steep scrub oak slope to get to it he developed 2 huge blisters. He came up so cripple he couldn't help pack out his own animal. We were 3 miles in in some RUGGED country, but were fortunate in having 1 young back to help haul it out along with his elk, and 1 older in shape back (besides my little older back) 2 get both animals 2 miles or so out in 1 day. BUT had my partner + i been by ourselves his lack of sensitivity regarding his own personal situation would have been costly.

Oh yeah, leave the block and tackle, come alongs etc. in the truck-- 1 super lightweight folding knife, maybe a small diamond sharpener-- maybe, and a small backpacking saw will suffice-- PORTABILITY, PORTABILITY, PORTABILITY!

That pistol you wanna carry in on the pack out-- it'll go with u once, if the animal is BACK in there some.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Blue, you've gotten some good information from many, including guy's like Skibum and Deke. Sibum's equipment list closely paralell's my own. I'll add I often carry a small titanium propane/butane stove for a "mug-up" as well as a fair amount of grub including, usually, a freeze-dried entree. Filson Whipcord pants are about the finest hunting garment a guy can put on his legs. Forget "hunting" packs... go to a top-quality backpack store and look at what's available. I like Osprey and Arctyrx packs. Footwear is a very individual thing and, honestly, one pair of boots CAN'T do it all. For October hunting often I wear regular hiking boots. As snow starts to accumulate I'll switch to a pair of insulated Danner's or Schnee-type pac's with a rubber bottom and thin insulated liner... I have at least five different boots I think of as "hunting boots". For an "all-rounder" I like the Danner "Trophy" boot. Forget White's, etc., which are strictly for "cowboying."

As to bears... well, all my elk hunting is in grizzly country (another good reason NOT to use a 30-30 ). I clearly recall the emotion's of finding fresh grizzly tracks on a trail ahead of me while backpacking into a favored elk hole to bivouac overnight for an early a.m. ambush! Still, for the bulk of the SE MT elk season the grizzlies have denned. A lot is made about bear handgun's/rifle's. Honestly, I've yet to make up my mind except to say I'm not necessarily convinced a 338 WM with 3-down is better than a 30-06 with 5-down (bullet construction being equal). I used to have a Premier Grade 4.75" Freedom Arms 454... too big, slow and heavy. Phil Shoemaker (AK bear guide) gives serious credence to shootability in a handgun and believes the 357 Mag with heavy hardcast's to be more than adequate. I NEVER carry a handgun hunting but ALWAYS have a Ruger Security Six in 357 Mag with 180 Hardcast's (and bear spray) on my hip when packing out meat.

Regarding rifle's; a nice, light 308 will meet your requirement's of portability admirably whilst giving more flexibility... a 30-06 even more so. Me, I'm awaiting the Kimber 8400 "Montana" (well named!) and will have one in 300 WSM with a 2.5x8 Leupold on top... 7.75 lbs ready to go is about right.

Best Regard's,

Brad

<Guest>
posted
SSCOYOTE

REAL OLD!!!

Blue