THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    POLL - PA Residents FOR or AGAINST legalized baiting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLL - PA Residents FOR or AGAINST legalized baiting?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
By Bob Frye
TRIBUNE-REVIEW OUTDOORS EDITOR

In dozens of states around the country, a hunter can put artificial bait in the woods, post himself nearby, then attempt to shoot deer, bears, and other animals that are attracted to it.
That's not the case in Pennsylvania. Here -- save for an area in Southeastern Pennsylvania where residents are so eager to get rid of nuisance deer that they're willing to try almost anything -- hunting over bait is illegal.

Lawmakers and sportsmen have spent the summer debating the wisdom of that rule. In two separate hearings in Harrisburg, they went back and forth over issues like what constitutes baiting versus supplemental feeding, the zeal with which Pennsylvania Game Commission officers prosecute baiting cases, and how far a hunter has to be from a bait pile to be considered legally hunting.

Now, though, a new idea has entered into the discussion.

State Rep. Gary Haluska, a Cambria County Democrat, has sponsored legislation that would largely eliminate the state's long-standing ban on hunting over bait altogether. House Bill 1862 would make it legal to hunt over shelled or ear corn anywhere in Pennsylvania during any hunting season.

Sportsmen's clubs across the state have been feeding corn to wildlife every winter for decades, Haluska said. His bill would eliminate once and for all any confusion over whether they can do that and still hunt their property, he suggested.

"We've heard so many stories about what is and isn't baiting and what is and isn't feeding that it's just getting ridiculous," Haluska said.

Whether his bill is a remedy sportsmen want is open to debate, however.

Russ Schleiden, a Game Commission board member from Centre County, said he has not been approached by any sportsmen's groups seeking to have the state's ban on baiting lifted or relaxed.

Melody Zullinger, executive director of the 100,000-member Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs, said that organization does not support such a move. The Federation has not polled its members, she said, but she suspects they would rather see clubs stop feeding wildlife before and during hunting seasons than OK baiting in any form.

"What we've always said is simple: if you're going to feed, you can't hunt. And if you're going to hunt somewhere, you can't feed there," Zullinger said.

Wes Waldron, president of the United Bowhunters of Pennsylvania, likewise said that he believes most sportsmen would oppose any liberalization of baiting laws. He personally polled 67 hunters on the question, he said. Sixty-four opposed baiting.

Haluska admits to having no idea what kind of traction his bill will get. Lawmakers won't formally debate it until this fall, when they return to session.

In the meantime, though, he's hoping sportsmen and others will give it some thought.

"I thought I'd put this out there and see what kind of reaction it gets," Haluska said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How is hunting over bait defined in Pennsylvania? According to Game Commission regulations, it is illegal to "hunt in or around any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain, fruit, nuts, salt, chemicals, or minerals, including their residues, are used or have been used within the past 30 days as an enticement to lure game or wildlife regardless of the type or quantity."
Hunters are responsible for checking the area they plan to hunt to be sure it is free of bait.

It is legal to hunt near food sources like standing crops, food plots on game lands, and naturally-occuring orchards.

Bob Frye can be reached at bfrye@tribweb.com or (724) 838-5148.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/outdoors/s_519409.html

Question:
So...are you for or against House Bill 1862?

Choices:
I am in FAVOR of legalizing hunting over shelled/ear corn in Penna.
I am AGAINST legalized hunting over shelled/ear corn in Penna.
I don't care one way or the other.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
By Bob Frye
TRIBUNE-REVIEW OUTDOORS EDITOR

That's not the case in Pennsylvania. Here -- save for an area in Southeastern Pennsylvania where residents are so eager to get rid of nuisance deer that they're willing to try almost anything -- hunting over bait is illegal.

I know of people who hunted over corn stalks 70 years ago, but they didn't leave much corn on them because it was middle of the Great Depression and they didn't have enough to eat. Things are different now, maybe...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For bears I suspect it is mostly cheaters and losers, therefore we might as well legalize what we can't enforce and give law abiding citizens the same chances as the cheaters.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the difference between putting some corn down and putting your tree stand up at the edge of a corn field?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see that baiting deer would make much difference to hunter success. There are so many deer, I don't think it would help.

Bear hunting success would be higher, though. I don't know if that is good or bad.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote