New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are we a dying breed?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel that we are a dying breed. What really depresses me is the quality of the next generation;

Rather than hunt and be a part of the bush and soak in the expreiences and self eduaction that this gives, the next generation of children hunt animated human beings on computer games. You tell me which pass time makes more sense !!

As for the anti's and bunny rooters they will not be happy until we are all wearing dreadlocks, smoking dope and drinking coffee at cafes.

Don't start me on Goverment agenda's, George Orwells 1984 sometimes does not feel that far away, everything is getting banned or new fines getting imposed upon us etc.

You think this stops with shooting ?? I tell you fishing is next, then trail buike riding & 4wd etc.

Another pet peave that falls under the same banner is all this political correctness BS. Why is it so acceptable to have for example to have the Gay & Lesbian Marti-Gra get so much coverage ?? We do not have a heterosexual march do we ?? I just feel society has really lost track of reality. So now day's shooters & hunters are seen as a scourge in society and if your gay "it's quite normal" go figure [Confused]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We're not a dying breed where I'm from, everybody hunts here.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Definetly a dying breed, and hunters themselves are partly to blame. They post land so they can enjoy the hunt for themselves (understandably), yet the urban hunter sees nothing but no trespassing signs, or huge trespassing fees. It's no wonder they are taking up golf. When it comes down to a fight, whose side are they going to be on?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will admit to you that if I am able to buy a place when I retire I will probably keep it tight, for myself, kids and grandkids if I get any.

The fact that I worked 45 years to get something, then am obligated to let anyone hunt on it because they don't have a place to hunt kind of offends me. The other alternative is that I might lease it for hunting. The only problem I see with that is that I've hunted on a lot of leases in Texas, and generally the average hunter doesn't respect the landowners wishes.

In Texas if you lease your land to a company, they invite their customers who may or may not be the type of people you want on your land.

The worst case I saw was west of Ozona. I was invited to hunt on an oilfield service company lease. The company put us up in a motel in Ozona. I went to have a drink with a friend that worked for that company and he showed me where one of the hunters the previous week had accidentally shot through the ceiling of his motel room.

The final day of my hunt. I heard a shot off in the distance, down in the flat. I ended up driving through there about ten minutes later as I left for home. One of the other "hunters" had killed a horse. It was about fifty yards from the road. The country was relatively open. I walked over to it. The blood was still flowing from a chest wound, right behind the shoulder.

I called it in, but they never found out who had done it. I never felt it was an accident.

That kind of thing turns me off. Unless I know you personally, you'll never hunt my land, if I ever get any.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote