New
Find
Notify
Tools

CWD may have killed 2 hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Brief write up in the neurology journal April 9, 2024 (Neurology.org) Possible transmission of CWD to humans. Short story is that 2 hunters who ate deer from a known CWD population both died of what appeared to be CJD.

Not scientifically definitive, but I wouldn’t let my wife read it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a brother-in-law die from CJD, he never ate CWD deer. It was said to just random not ever hereditary. They can trace it if its from a source. Prions are different for all species.

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It is every deer and elk hunter's nightmare. If it is confirmed that CWD is passing into the realm of zoonotic diseases this will put an end to an awful lot of big game hunting in the Lower 48.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
It is every deer and elk hunter's nightmare. If it is confirmed that CWD is passing into the realm of zoonotic diseases this will put an end to an awful lot of big game hunting in the Lower 48.

The anti's will promote this heavily.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I personally am not going to knowingly eat a Deer, Elk that has CWD regardless of what they say.
Also, as cynical as I am, is this story truly legit or ????.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no captive or private facilities in Wyoming- illegal. A simple google search indicates first detection was in a captive facility in Colorado. Minor details yes but RAR60's skepticism is warranted.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it can also infect the pronghorn herds?

Posts: 354 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
In MT they are some cases all over the state
I always bone out all the meat as those wacky proteins are in brain and spinal cord fluid, but of course anything can happen
This could be something similar to Anthrax living in soil
Seems like no one has an answer so far

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote