Find
Notify
Tools

Navy Chief asking for a favor.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good day to you all.

My name is Tom Cacy and I am a career Navy man. I've been in the service for 22 years and hold the rank of Chief Petty Officer. I am a 5th generation Colorado native and have always listed Colorado as my official home of record. Basically that means I pay state income taxes every year even though I may not set foot in the state.

In the 22 years that I have served, I have been stationed in 6 different states. Currently I am stationed in Florida. I have noticed that every state I have been in while in the navy has offered free hunting in one shape or another to active duty military. Unfortunately, Colorado does not. I contatcted the Division of Wildlife's Public Relations Office to inquire why this is, and was told that the State's Wildlife Commission has exclusive jurisdiction over this matter. They also advised having as many people as possible send them e-mails requesting this be addressed.

And, that brings me to the favor part. I do not expect or want the state to let me hunt big game for free, but would like to be able to hunt small game when I get home for free. For years, active duty military residents of Colorado have been allowed to fish without a license, while home in a leave status, but I can't even hunt a rabbit or coyote while I'm on leave without buying a full price license. Since most military people only get home for short periods of time, it makes it difficult to justify paying for a license.

So, if you agree that active duty military should be able to hunt small game without charge, please send an e-mail to the State's Wildlife Commission. Their e-mail address is: wildlife.comm@state.co.us

On behalf of the actived duty military residents of the State of Colorado, I thank you for your time.

Thomas B. Cacy II QMC(SW) USN
Navy Special Warfare Coordinator, Northwest Florida
Navy Recruiting District, New Orleans.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider it done!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck in your endeavor. I will be happy to send an e-mail to support your cause.

By the way I know most people don't care how we do things in Texas but you may want to check this out for informational purposes.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20050620e

June 20, 2005

Military Personnel Get Hunting Benefits
AUSTIN, Texas — The 79th Texas Legislature passed HB 1076, which directs the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission to waive the all fees for hunting and fishing licenses for Texas residents currently on active duty as a member of the military.

The new Texas Resident Active Duty Military “Super Combo†Hunting and All-Water Fishing Package (Type 510), which is free, will be available to any Texas resident who is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty, including members of the Reserves or National Guard on active duty. The package includes all five state stamp endorsements (archery, freshwater fishing, and migratory game bird, saltwater fishing with a red drum tag and upland game bird). The Federal Waterfowl (duck) Stamp is not included. For a member of the military to qualify for a free “Super Combo,†he or she must have continuously resided in Texas for more than six months before obtaining the license. See the Outdoor Annual on page 21 for more specifics.

A member of the military who does not qualify as a Texas resident for the purpose of obtaining a military “Super Combo†Texas may purchase any resident hunting and fishing license. For more information, call (512) 389-4846.

The free military license can be obtained after 2005-2006 hunting and fishing licenses go on sale Aug. 15, 2005 at any location where Texas licenses are sold. Active duty service members must show a current military identification card. The free military license may not be obtained over the telephone or Internet.*

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more e-mail on it's way.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have to pay to play just like everyone else.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
OK, I sent one.

Ex MM-1(SS)

Yep, Nuke bubblehead

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose Hunter, I'm just curious, does Alaska still pay it's residents to live in the state?

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Alan,

In addition to the check mailed out every year by the state to resident Alaskans, our hunting and fishing licenses are a fraction of the cost of non resident licenses and some our big game tags are free.

I disagree with you Moose. You spend time as a Chief Petty Officer or a "Nuke Bubblehead," you get some appreciation. Hunting privelidges ain't to much to ask.

Posts: 9419 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott, thanks for clearing that up. I thought I remembered it being that way. You hit my point precisely. We are still fortunate here in Texas that we do not have a state income tax but our legislators always find something else to do with the money they have besides send it out to the population.

If my memory serves me well, and that will have to do for tonight since I'm not going to go hunt up a game law booklet; I think Texas allows Active duty personnel to hunt and fish without a license. I will look it up and find out for sure tomorrow. I'm not sure how the game tags work. I think that a military drivers license serves as a Texas drivers license too.

I don't think free hunting and fishing for active duty personnel is too much to ask for either. Thanks for posting.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan,

Sure do, but I don't/didn't ask for it. But I was born up here, too, hence why I get it.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Done Chief..........from another 5th generation Coloradoan.......had to move to Texas though in '73 to be able to hunt all year.

Thanks for your service.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose-Hunter, spoken like a true Democrat, take all you can get from the givernment (not mispelled), you could donated the check back to the government and take a tax deduction on your federal return (if you itemize). You don't have to ask for handouts but you can give back.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michigan has a program that allows active duty military people to by hunting and fishing licenses for IIRC $1.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moose-Hunter:

wow. bewildered

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If my memory serves me well, and that will have to do for tonight since I'm not going to go hunt up a game law booklet; I think Texas allows Active duty personnel to hunt and fish without a license. I will look it up and find out for sure tomorrow.

Save yourself some time and read my post above. Also Texas Parks and Wildlife has a website with everything the booklet has and more.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
MAC-

Consider it done -- and thanks for your 22 years of loyal service to our country.

It's people like you -- undividuals dedicating themselves to ensuring that our most basic freedoms are protected -- who deserve a simple fringe benefit like being able to hunt or fish without dishing out a load of cash for a license that may be used for only a day or two. I think Colorado's stance is absolutely ludicrous.

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bobby, and I don't think that's happened before. You're getting screwed by your state.

If you were a resident of Pennsylvania, you'd be eligible for a general hunting license for $2. That includes both big and small game.

I was in the county courthouse and a marine in uniform was in the office to get a hunting license while on leave. He filled out the form and plunked down the fee on the counter. He was issued his license and his money was pushed back . The clerk said your money's no good here. Enjoy your leave and good luck hunting. After he left the office all the other clerks were fighting to see who could put the $2 in the till to cover his license. As an ex AQ(B)3, I was proud to see how that one serviceman was treated in my county. MAC, you deserve better than what Colorado's giving you.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M16, I sure don't know how I missed your post but I did. It's been a devil of a week and I guess that's gonna have to be my only excuse. Thanks,

Alan

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Done, and ditto on what others have said as far as your service, Mac.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Mac,

First, considering the pay scale...all enlisted should get income tax and local fee waivers. Afterall, without em, you might find it hard to get by.

Second, I'll send the email and add the Governer's office to the list.

Third, cuz your "special" I didn't use no big werds. jk. Wink
HTH,
Dave

"We are all here for a short spell; so get all the good laughs you can.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else."
Will Rogers

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Let me get this straight. You've been paying income taxes in CO and haven't been able to utilize any services there but there are those who would have a problem with you being able to shoot a couple of yotes without paying? Confused My letter will go out tomorrow.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr. ME Smiler:

Thank you for your comments regarding an exception to hunting license
fees for the military. Your comments have been forwarded to the
Wildlife Commission as part of the public input process.

Katie J. Knoll
Public Involvement
Division of Wildlife

Wyoming has some provsions for military, not a problem as I am not that greedy to share with those that serve!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Glad to do it Chief. Thanks for your service to our nation. Should have free basic H&F rights in all 50 States IMHO.
Good hunting,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Done!

And thanks for your service Chief! patriot

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I want to thank all of you for accomodating me in this favor. I am not asking this for myself. As a Chief in the Navy, I make more than enough for the license. My concern is for the junior service-members that do not make much. For those of you that have sent emails, I offer a genuine and heart-felt THANKS..

I'd like to specifically address MOOSEHUNTER's post:
quote:

Sir, I'd like you to think for a moment of the 18 and 19 year old men and women that are currently serving in this nation's Armed Forces. Chances are, they are lonely, far from home, feeling forgotten and somewhat forsaken.

He/She could be an Army Private patroling the streets of Bagdad. They could be a Marine in the mountains of Afganistan. They could be an Airman manning the watch on an air base in Europe. They could be a Navy Seaman on the pitchinging deck of a ship far out to sea.

He/She could very well be on the front lines involved in direct combat, or they could be manning a watch station in the United States. And they could be lying maimed, broken and bloody in a hospital far from home.Hurt, crippled, and terrified.

One thing all these outstanding young people have in common is that they took an oath to defend this country and to safeguard YOUR
rights, including your right to Free Speech. They protect your right, even when you use it to prove that you are somewhat of an an ASSHOLE.

You may not think they have earned the right to a free hunting license, but I have served beside many of them and I know for a fact that they have.

Thomas B. Cacy II QMC(SW) USN
Navy Special Warfare Coordinator, Northwest Florida
Navy Recruiting District, New Orleans

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
MAC-

Your reply was very well put and hit the nail on the head. I was contemplating a reply to the post in question, but I could not have said it any better -- and you were more tactful than I could have hoped to be.

I applaud you for that...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
One last thought: To me, it's not about the money or being able to easily afford a license or not. It's a matter of principle, and to that end, Colorado is grossly out of line.

You folks put your lives on the line so we can sit back and enjoy the benefits of the great nation. Many have given the ultimate sacrifice.

And back to the money: There's actually a soldier over in the Middle East right now who would have never had to serve, and he would never have to work for a living, either.

His family is extremely well off, and he has a trust fund that will take care of him for as long as he lives.

But guess what? He just re-enlisted because it's something he feels so strongly about. More than likely, he will be a career miltary man.

It's that very spirit and dedication that makes military personnel so invaluable to our nation's well-being.

And despite his family's financial situation, I feel that he, too, deserves a free hunting and fishing license in each of the 50 states.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MAC,
I will send the email after this post.

Considering the sacrifices our Military folks make, it's the least we could do. Some people seem to have no appreciation for what Military men and women have to go through.

Thank you for your service.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
Gents,

I am not asking this for myself. As a Chief in the Navy, I make more than enough for the license.

Pardon my language Chief, but I don't give a shit about the amount of your salary. Most everyone thinks that the people serving our country in the Armed Forces are Heroes. Not the basketball players, not race car drivers, not politicians, not entertainers. You and the 18 and 19 year old boys and girls you mentioned are God blessed heroes. I'd like to be able to buy you all a beer, lunch, hunting license, whatever. If somebody wanted to raise the cost of my hunting license in any state so our service personell of any rank could have a licence for free I'd gladly pay it.

Posts: 9419 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Scott King wrote:
quote:
If somebody wanted to raise the cost of my hunting license in any state so our service personell of any rank could have a licence for free I'd gladly pay it.

I'll second that... patriot

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
In WV we not only allow hunting to active service members, but the state sends a yearly check to every state resident serving in the military.

Am damned glad we do it ... I wish every state did the same.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Chief,
Good on ya! I've hunted elk in Colorado several times. Good place.

Free hunting licenses is the least a state should do for our service men and women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of Luck,

salute

EACS(SCW) Retired.

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come to Oklahoma if you get tired of Colorado. We love the military here.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Chief,

Why don't don't you show Moose-Hunter a thing or two. I'm an Alaska resident (no annual check and out-of-state hunt fees because I won't lie and say I intend to make it my permanent home -- how the hell do I know where I'll retire? Enlisted in '84 and have some 13 moves under my belt now...) and will be taking my dad (71-years-old) and my 1SG (Special Forces 40-year-old) black bear hunting this Fall; late Aug thru early Sept. I'll be camp bitch, skinner, and cook...already have my bears. You're welcome to join us - heated tipi tent and lots of black bear on the Kenai. 1SG needs a partner anyway and he gets along with you squids. Shoot me an e-mail if you're interested, but please do so before 15 May -- robert.eatman@socom.mil

cheers,

Matt

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt I can be shown anything...

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me too.... Roll Eyes

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
quote:

Me too.... Roll Eyes

Oh, I dunno'. If MH were to ever darken my doorstep, there's something I'd definitely show him: the fooking door!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seeing how badly the government treats retired or wounded military, I think all of them should hunt free in every state even if retired.
Anyone that makes a career out of the military deserves no less!
Thank you for your service Chief! BOOM

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very poor taste. thumbdown

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to those who I offended and to those who got their panties wrapped up in their crack(s).