THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Bear Hunt from a Boat in Alaska - Been yet?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Hunt from a Boat in Alaska - Been yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a bear hunt (black or griz or brown) where you hunt via a boat on the coast. You can fish also. Has anyone out there done this? Was it fun? I have a 17 yr old and 15 yr old with me on this hunt.

Posts: 10253 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what's next, pheasants from a hang-glider?

just kidding; seriously, i ahve not heard of this type of hunt, although i heard that jack o'connor once hunted deer from a boat in idaho.

is this a common thing?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done a SE AK bear hunt, but it wasn't exactly the way you describe. We used the boat only to get where we were going, then hunted from a camp. I see where you're going, but I'm unaware of any outfits that'll float you around exclusively to fish and spot bears. Are you an AK resident? If not, and you truly are after a brownie, hope you have deep pockets. Like $10K per hunter.

Hope that helps.

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did it last spring (for Black) and it was great. I recommend it highly! Very surprising that folks aren't aware of this. And yes, we hunted/looked from a boat (skiff), living on a big boat (55'). We would leave the big boat in the skiff and search likely spots for bears. You cover a lot of miles, as lots of the beach isn't good bear spots. When a bear is spotted, then you check it out as best you can, if it looks good, you beach and begin a stalk. Hopefully, if all goes well, you get close enough to evaluate the bear, then get close enough for a shot, if you aren't already. It's the way to hunt bears, though admittedly, not the cheapest. Laid back, very enjoyable, saw bears (big) every day. Killed an honest 7' Black bear with traditional muzzle loader (58 round ball). Ate fresh crab (that I caught) daily, clams if you want, fish--PRIMO! I hope to do so for Brown eventually, but pricey. If I could find one cheap as mentioned above ($10K) it would be sooner.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done it several times and is the only way to go. It is great to have a nice dry and warm boat to come back to. We have tent camped, used govt cabins and the boats. Use a 55' trawler as base camp then a zodiac as a taxi to get to shore. No shooting from either the large boat or the skiff. Once you hit the beach then the stalk is on. It then becomes a normal hunt. Great fun.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have contacts with an outfitter who hunts the mainland of BC, just across from Vancouver Island. They shoot black bears in the 19-20" skull size, and also hunt grizz. A 60 ft boat is your home for the duration of the hunt, and fishing is supposed to be great. Coincendently I'm just in the process of piecing a hunt together with them for a family of four, who want the whole boat to themselves for a week.

Just drop me a line if you want to know more. It's not Alaska though, it's BC.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
dogcat- I have a friend in North Idaho I used to work with that has a fishing boat he leaves in Sitka when he come back to Idaho to log.He has video after video of Bear hunts off the coast of Alaska from his dingie.They get some giant Black Bears doing it this way.Most are taken right off the beaches.They also have video of the Fish and Game landing there planes to check Bears and tags.Looks like alot of fun to me with some big Blackies.I may have to take him up on his offer.

Best of luck.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Hey Dogcat, I sent you a PM about the outfitter I use in Alaska.

Very good hunt. Fishin aint bad either.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,

You have an e-mail!

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12909 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that wanted to do that this year but they were all booked up. I think you have to book a year or more in advance. He was looking at this outfitter http://www.alaskacoastalmarine.com/

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote