New
Find
Notify
Tools

What became of John Wooters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have not heard anything of him for ages.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I maybe wrong... but didn't he die??

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I thought I remembered reading that his vision was going downhill fast, and he and his wife sold their TX ranch. That's been roughly 2 years ago?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An interesting fellow with some interesting insight on hunting and shooting. He had a lot of "buck sense". I miss reading his stuff in Petersen's Hunting.

Robin down under

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He wrote the best whitetail articles before Whitetail hunting was cool.I miss him and Elmer Keith .Only Craig Boddington is in same league as them.I hope that someone puts John Wotters articles into a book.I liked his Whitetail hunting book.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So did he pass away??

posted Hide Post
John Wooters is alive and well in the Nickudu Files, with 8 of his articles reposted from the 2003 Archive this year and another on the .35 Whelen set for next week.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have spoken with John a few times on the phone. Make no mistake, sportsfans, he is in a league by himself. He is the most ethical writer I have come across - he certainly did not like the way the "profession" was going. I will leave it at that...

Last I spoke with him, he and his wife had just returned from a birding trip. My phone call with him got me more interested in birds myself.

The guy is a total class act.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I have spoken with John a few times on the phone. ... he is in a league by himself. ...
Thank you for the first-hand info.

Completely agree that he wrote - what he witnessed.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
AZ - Yes, thanks for that.

When I think about it, all through the years, a damn good many of our gun writers were indeed, Class Acts and represented us very well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is good news. I've enjoyed his work and am glad he is still with us.

Nick, I'm a big fan of the 35whelen and would enjoy any info you have on it.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought I remembered reading that his vision was going downhill fast, and he and his wife sold their TX ranch. That's been roughly 2 years ago?

I met John in Kerrville about 5-6 yrs ago. Went to his home just out side of town. He spent the day with me showing me his reloading room, data, computer target "GUN VAULT" and sharing stories. I bought a Model 10 from him that had also been owned by Gary Simon(sp). Gary has passed.

John had a badly detached retina in his right eye. He was shooting only small bore stuff left handed. They had a ranch in S TX somewhere. I though he had sold it but was still living just outside of Kerrville. But it has been at least two years since I talked to him.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
His Hunting Trophy Deer changed my whole approach to and outlook on deer hunting.

I have always enjoyed his writing.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
That is good news. I've enjoyed his work and am glad he is still with us.

Nick, I'm a big fan of the 35whelen and would enjoy any info you have on it.

Mark, there's a .35 Whelen article posted, as we speak, in the Nickudu Files. I believe I have 6 or 8 Whelen articles by various authors. If you want them send a PM (include your email addy if it has changed).

BTW - Good post Dan!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Nick, I don’t know what to say other than thanks!!

It’s a long story but the 1991 Bob Milek article you’ve got on your files is the very first information I had ever read regarding the 35whelen. I knew after reading Bob’s article I just had to have a 35 and so my lust for one started. I keep the magazine for years until I finally lost track of it but being a young father with a wife, a daughter , car and house payments I just couldn’t afford another rifle. About all I could do was dream of someday owning a 35 and hunting the far away places I read about. The years went by, along with other cars and trucks, our daughter has grown up, but my lust for a whelen never went away. So finally after 14 years I bought one. Its now been with me to South Dakota, the Arctic Circle and Africa, plus I plan to take it to Alaska in May, I love my 35whelen! I plan to own it until my last breath. Again, thanks Nick, today you and Bob’s old article brought back some very dear memories.

mark_larita@peoplepc.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick, I tried to print it from your file but it came out rather blurred, any way I could get a copy?

posted Hide Post
Good story Mark. Milek, eh? Smiler Sometimes the articles don't print out well from the hosting site. I'll email a page directly from my PC and let's see if it prints out better. If so, I'll forward all the .35 Whelen articles. At the very least, you can save them to your hardrive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu. I would be most greatful if you could also pass on those .35 Whelen articles to me at prhogge1@aol.com. I've just in the past couple of years been getting really interested in working with the .35 caliber in the .358 Win. and especially the .35 Whelen.
Thanks again,
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Paul - I tried forwarding 7 articles to the provided email address and they all bounced back to me as "Undeliverable" "MailBox Not Found".

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Like Mark, I, too, thought I had read of Wooter's passing.

Funny, what a few years under one's belt does to ones perspective. I remember when John first started publishing. Now, he's remembered as a revered senior writer!

Anyhoo, somebody should put up an article on Wikipedia on him. About all I know is that he lived in Houston (the Villages?), had a "ranchito" in south Texas, and had an old .35 Remington...

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What rifle do you all remember seeing in Mr. Wooters' pictures the most?

Would it be the full length stocked 308Win Sako?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old thread, but I ran across it, and thought some of you might be interested in an update.
John Wooters passed away in 2013.
His wife Jeanne has put up a website with a bunch of his writing, and even some photo's and video.
If you are a Wooters fan, you will enjoy revisiting his work, and if you're not familiar with him, you owe it to yourself to visit JohnWooters.com to get to know him.
Mr. Wooters was a great guy, and a good friend to my father. I wish I'd had the chance to know him better, and am thankful for the opportunity to read his work.
https://johnwootters.com/
Best,
Jeff

YOU are the Gun Lobby.
www.FirearmsCoalition.org

Posts: 2 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 22 June 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link, Jeff. I always thought Wootters was the pure quill -- no brag, just fact.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16515 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffKnox:
I know this is an old thread, but I ran across it, and thought some of you might be interested in an update.
His wife Jeanne has put up a website with a bunch of his writing, and even some photo's and video.
If you are a Wooters fan, you will enjoy revisiting his work, and if you're not familiar with him, you owe it to yourself to visit JohnWooters.com to get to know him.
Mr. Wooters was a great guy, and a good friend to my father. I wish I'd had the chance to know him better, and am thankful for the opportunity to read his work.
Best,
Jeff

Great post! As I said above, Wootters (two t's guys) was a class act.

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he was the first true whitetail expert

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffKnox:
Best,
Jeff

You are obviously Neal's son. Welcome to AR!

posted Hide Post
Thanks. Yes, Neal was my father.
I took over The Firearms Coalition after his death, and have barely come up for air in the almost 15 years since.
Dad would have been right at home on this forum.

YOU are the Gun Lobby.
www.FirearmsCoalition.org

Posts: 2 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 22 June 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
What rifle do you all remember seeing in Mr. Wooters' pictures the most?

Would it be the full length stocked 308Win Sako?

I saw a photo of a book I have with that rifle leaning against a tree. Handy light and quick I think it was, Killed every animal it was fired at.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
His "Hunting Trophy Deer" was a major influence on me.

Wait---almost identical to what I posted originally on this thread....

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
For you that are DSC members and also receive Lone Star Outdoor News, there is an article on Mr. Wooters. It mentions how his widow compiled his works on johnwooters.com

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Ha! I missed the post earlier, but it’s a bump for others looking.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Okay, so what became of 500grains? Confused

~Ann

Posts: 19213 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for sharing the johnwootters.com site. There's some really great stuff available on there.

I've always felt he was one of the very best outdoor writers. He was also a nice guy. When I approached him at a hunting show as a young kid about 35 years ago, he treated me like a real person and gave me his time, and he even made good on his promise to send me an autographed copy of his classic book Hunting Trophy Deer. I miss him every time I pick up a current hunting magazine and read another formulaic article full of shameless references to sponsors' products.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Okay, so what became of 500grains? Confused

Banned yeas ago.