THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Seems like a lot of dodgy practice going on

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seems like a lot of dodgy practice going on
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It seems to me that there is a lot more postings which include bad practice

Using scopes to glass
Multiple shots for ranging live game
Shooting unzeroed rifle at game

OK I know look at the plank in my own eye before I go looking for the speck of sawdust in someone elses. I did something not really acceptable yesterday but the point is I knew it was unnaceptable and I will not say what it was still less boast about it. That's what gets me about these. The posters don't seem to know these are unnaceptable practices in most peoples eyes.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post

What did you do, have red wine with fish?

I think that many of these things are because the person does not know any better, i.e. they are still learning and not simply choosing to do something unethical or dangerous. I think the best way to combat it is to point something out that should be done differently, and politely and respectfully give the reasons why it should be done differently.

I suppose it is in how you look at these things, but I think that it shows that there are new people joining the shooting and hunting recreations, which I see as a healthy sign. It is just up to us to help the newbies be safe and ethical......

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it is ignorance, sometimes it is just foolish behavior. I don't like it either, but I have seen and/or heard of many people doing the same things.
The internet doesn't always provide a method of taking someone aside and explaining what's proper and what isn't (especially when folks do not make their e-mail address available in their profile).
I do like your saying about the plank; I hereby serve notice that I am going to use it without paying you a royalty

Mark,
In the U.S., it is acceptable to have red wine with salmon or tuna steaks (yes, we're uncultured barbarians; you want to make something of it? )

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Mark,
In the U.S., it is acceptable to have red wine with salmon or tuna steaks
George

I believe it is also acceptable to drink Boone's Farm with fried catfish.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894, I'm assuming you are referring to my posts about using scopes to glass. I do realize that it is potentially unsafe, and I admit that it is bad practice. My dad is finally going to get some better binoculars (I sure as hell can't afford them, I'm still a college student), and I will definately be fending him off so as I can take them into the field ... My point wasn't to advocate the use of scopes in place of binoculars, however, I was not going to lie about my practice in the field...I do appreciate your comment about your condition of "plank-eye" and as a result of the lack of "holier-than-thou" demeanors of the posts referring to my practice I will be very inclined to start carrying binoculars in the field, to improve my image as a hunter, and be a little more safe.

------------------
God Bless and Shoot Straight

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a good thing 444! I'm usually the guy with the dog roaming the woods and the other hunters are using stands etc to wait for an oppurtunity. It's very unnerving to be viewed by another hunter through his rifle-scope if only by accident.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
I've found binoculars to be one of the most important tools a hunter can have. If I were you I would sell off a gun or 2 and buy a quality pair of binos. Believe me, once you start using them you will wonder why in the hell you never had a pair!

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
<lokey>
posted
I glass with my scope, lots of times right off the hood of my truck. Up here in dairy country there are plenty of coyotes, and they do plenty of harm. If I think it's a dog, he's getting looked at, and it shur as hell ain't gonna be with binoculars. I don't shoot from the road, but I'll sure as hell look!! ~lokey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lokey:

All rules have boundaries that are presumably set well back from the danger point for good reason, and we can all argue that we didn't step into "real" danger. From that perspective, spotting a known quadraped to identify positively whether it is shootable, domestic or not even a coyote, is not bad practice. A whole lot different is the guy who watches you through his scope and justifies it with "unloaded," "safety on," "finger off trigger" or "target off centre."

No?

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<lokey>
posted
Damn skippy!!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you learn what you are not comfortable with by having done it once and not liking it.

I think many of us have done foolish things. In some instances you know right away it wasn't good, other times it takes a while.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<TimB99>
posted
I hate to sound high and mighty, but...looking at a human being with your rifle scope is, by definition of law, assault with a deadly weapon.

Go to Wal-Mart, get a pair of $15 lightweight binoculars, and hang them on your neck when you're hunting. It's not that much more effort.

One heck of a lot cheaper than hiring a lawyer to defend you.

Tim
(Hunter Education Instructor)

<Jeff S>
posted
The only conclusion I can draw if I find a hunter looking at me through the scope of his rifle is that he intends to kill me. Therefore, my military training and right to self defense demand that I immediately seek cover and make ready to return fire. If I ever find anyone looking at me through a scoped rifle he will very quickly learn what its like to have a gun pointed back at him and my safety will be OFF and I'll be pressing a 3.5 lb trigger with about 2 lbs of pressure! DO NOT GLASS WITH A RIFLE! The life you may be risking may be your own...

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
"I believe it is also acceptable to drink Boone's Farm with fried catfish."

Recono, you want to make something of it?!?!?!

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<lokey>
posted
Timmy, come on now man. You ever look through a set of $15 dollar binoculars buddy? Quite frankly; I'd be a lot more worried about a guy on the other ridge glassing my sweet body with a set of 15 clam tasco's, than I would if they were using their Vari-x II on a .300 Whowhatsit. At least I know the second guy can tell I'm a person! ~lokey

<gamecock>
posted
Yep, it's fine to drink red wine with tuna, Boone's Farm with catfish, or Merlot with potato chips (I'm a beer and BBQ guy myself) - but it ain't all right to glass with a scope.

Isn't assault with a deadly weapon a felony?

Don't think looking at someone with a 15 clam tasco is.

<lokey>
posted
Pert near!!!

<TimB99>
posted
Lokey,

Yes, each and every time I go hunting I look through those cheap $15 binoculars (I got them through cheaperthandirt.com, though, not Wally-World.) They work just fine for identifying game. Just 12 days ago I used them to confirm what I already thought I saw, that what I saw 130 yards off at 27 minutes past sunset (in Kansas you can hunt until 30 minutes after sunset) was indeed a whitetail deer. Only then did I bring the rifle to bear.

I believe it is unethical and irresponsible to look for game through the lens of your scope.

You can do what you want. I can't stop anyone from looking for game with their scope. But I guarantee the words will be stronger and officers of the law will be summoned if I ever have anyone looking at me through the scope of their rifle.

Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I glass with a scope all the time. I do not glass people unless they have horns and are walking on all fours though!

To all you badasses who will shoot back at anyone glassing you. If I want to shoot you will be dead before you get a chance to take cover and fire back! Gee whiz what hot heads. By the way, I hunt mostly my own land so if I am targeting you it isn't assault with a deadly weapon it is getting rid of a trespasser.

Kent

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
<SnapDragon>
posted
Kent, Have you ever had someone continue to scope you with their rifle scope from a relatively short distance even though you waved your arms and shouted. Let me know how you feel if this ever happens to you. Hotheads? Shooting trespassers is the sign of someone with a cool head? Sometimes I wish I could blaze away at the scum that trespasses on my land but I know that that is not acceptable behavior.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glenn:
.....I'm a beer and BBQ guy myself - but it ain't all right to glass with a scope.

Hey glenn, Just seems to me that a person who tries to use a "scope for a glass" will spill most of his Pabst Blue Ribbon, or at least I believe us "REAL" BBQ experts in the Belmont - Mt Holly area would!

Once Deer Season ends in the Lowcountry, you will have to come on down and go to the range with me sometime. P.S. Bring BBQ money!!!

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<TimB99>
posted
Kent,

I never said I'd shoot back at anyone pointing at me. That would be more irresponsible than pointing a gun at a human being you don't want to shoot.

Like I said in the previous post. It's irresponsible to use your scope to look for game. I don't care whose land you're on.

Scopes don't give you much peripheral vision. While you're panning your rifle to look for what you're looking for, be it deer, coyotes, or prairie dogs, things you don't expect to see might come into your field of view. If it's standing on two feet or wearing an orange vest, you've just committed a crime. The judge won't care a bit that you were on your own land hunting.

There are those who will take on the "Good-ol' boy" argument of "I've been hunting that way for years... never had any problems."

That argument is hogwash. Wrong is wrong, doesn't matter how long you've been doing it.

As hunters, if we want to be able to continue to enjoy this sport, we need to do the right thing. Even if that means changing our ways. The non-hunting public represents a bigger share of the population than we do, and if we do stupid things, they change from not caring what we do, to not liking what we do. Then our sport is in jeaopardy.

Hunting is a safe sport, and it's getting safer. If you stand back a bit and look at this with an open mind, you'll see it's for the good of the sport.

I'll step down from my soap box now.

Tim

<lokey>
posted
Soap box? More like Soap Opera!!

<gamecock>
posted
Hot Core: got 89 cents, a six pack of MGD and ready to ramble. After the "Cocks" beat the Red-eyes AGAIN in the Outback Bowl, I'd love to make your acquaintence.

In fact, lookin' forwrd to it. Be aware, tho,' I can knock the eye out of a bull-frog at 12 to 15 yards almost every time with my .38-55! Open sights of course.

<rwj>
posted
Now all this time I thought I needed to hide when secretly drinking that delicate red wine--Boones Farm, and eating fried catfish and crappie...Now that I know I am in the fold...I can openly drink red wine when eating fish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey glenn, Lookin' forward to it myself. I'm on the road in Coral Springs, FL at the moment lookin' for terrorists. (I could use the $25M for BBQ and PBR ! HA)

But, I'll be back up in the Carolinas before Christmas and end the Deer Season in the Lowcountry 1Jan02.

Then beginning 2Jan02, Gun Swappin' Season runs until about 28Feb02 (for me). May want to try out a Weatherby Ultra-Lightweight in either 308Win or 30-06. Just depends on the best "Deal".

1Mar02 - 14Aug02 is our SERIOUS range time. Only thing to keep me from going then is mowing Deer Trails, Limb-Trimming, Stand maintenance and a FL sweetie.

Even have a buddy who is joining a Shooting Club right off "Sam Wilson", maybe Exit 28 or 29 off I-85. That would be about a 7 minute drive for me. I normally go to the Woods Ferry Range located Southeast of Chester. Nice people there and a fairly well maintained range.

I'll email you once I get back and we can get together. Maybe go stare at the Catfish over in the Bass Pro Shop tank. Isn't there a BBQ house just across I-85 from it?!?!?! HA

For all you folks debating the binoculars vs. looking through the scope, the choice seems relatively simple to me. But, one other thing you all have not mentioned is being able to actually "see" Deer with binoculars that are nearly impossible to see with a scope.

Had a Doe pop out of a woods 235yds from me across a disked corn field this year. She sure looked prissy with all the tail wigglin' and "Come-On BIG Boy" looks over her shoulder. I was watching her through a VariX-III and just happened to notice an antler tip off in the woods past her.

Picked up the 10x50 Wind River Leupolds and was able to "focus past" the edge of the woods and onto the TROPHY WHOPPER Buck. Without the binoculars, I could not have seen past the understory to assess this Buck.

Glad I had the binoculars and the happy ending. So, I can heartily endorse the 10x50 Poro Prisim Wind River center focus binoculars. They even survived a "first-time-on-the-neck" crash into a steel Deer Tower. (The guy responsible for that will remain nameless so as not to embarrass ME!!!) I think they were $199.95 at the "Bass Pro Shop Annual Fall SALE. Well worth the money for me.

------------------

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,
I'm in the exact opposite predicament...scopes always worked better for me. What power of Luepold were you looking through? I guess that is what spoiled me on spotting with scopes...the 3x9 tasco on my .243 worked WAY better than my dad's 8x Bushnell binoculars, so that's what I had to use to distinguish buck/doe at long range (about 800yds). Where I began my hunting, we would perch atop a ridge and watch the deer come in through the hayfields, you could start to see them coming about 1000yds away, and by the time they were in the first field, you could, with decent optics (read tasco 3x9), tell whether any bucks were shooters, and then wait and position yourself accordingly. I was soured on bino's because my dad's 8x Bushnells, they didn't work well...So I guess I was destined for bad practice early on in my hunting career. I love having binoculars with me while hunting, for looking at things at about 300yds, (I still have to use those crappy bushnells), but, admittedly, out past 400yds+ I use my scope, because it goes up to 10pwr...just works better. Like I said, my dad wants to get better bino's this year, and I will be more than happy to "borrow" them from him when season rolls around again. Maybe some "wind river" 10x50's are in order thanks for the plug Hot Core, I'll throw it out ot my dad.

------------------
God Bless and Shoot Straight

[This message has been edited by the444shooter (edited 12-20-2001).]

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
<gamecock>
posted
Hot Core: The Club off of the Sam Wilson exit is Mecklenburg Fish and Game. Belong there myself. A new range in the works as we speak. And yes, there is a BBQ joint across 85 from Bass Pro Shop.

Have a great Holiday. Later...glenn

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scoping someone is wrong wrong wrong if I find someone ever doing it to me, I;ll calmly walk up to him a loosen some teeth with a butt & remove his rifle!!! But to scope for game is something else depending on situation. Up in north Can where clear cuts can be 1 mile long & all uprooted stumps, burnt stumps & all black mud holes could be a moose,it's very easy for a moose to stand & not be seen. However if you first scan with your eyes All leagal hunters with floresant orange clothes STAND out plainly.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 444, I was using a 3.5-10x 50mm VariX-III on that particular rifle. Most people don't think of long shots being available in the Southeastern USA, but that is only because they've not seen it.

In one of our Stands, I can see 2 miles in one direction and 1 mile in the other. Granted, that is short stuff by the distances folks out West can view. The vast majority of our Deer are killed during AM & PM twilight, so distances are typically short. Well under 400yds for 99.99% of the shots attempted, 97% under 300yds and probably 94% 200yds or less.

And, most of our Deer are REAL small compared to the HUGE Western Deer. Just another reason that we have to be better shots! HAHAHA

I do hunt some private property where using a scope to do all your viewing would not be a hazzard to anyone - except a Poacher. I just can't hold the rifle scope as steady off-hand long enough anymore to make it worthwhile for just looking around. Grab the binoculars and then use one finger on each hand to grasp the "bill" on my cap, and it is really steady. So, I'd feel very handicapped without binoculars.

One "Hot Tip" on binoculars is to try them before buying. Just because the specifications look good, it doesn't mean a thing. I went to the Bass Pro Shop(up near glenn) and compared probably 35 pair prior to selecting the Wind Rivers for my use. That building has a tall ceiling which created some dark corners far off in the rafters and that is where I would compare them. Binoculars that "apparently" had better qualities than the WRs just didn't work as well for me. For someone else, a different pair might fit his needs better though. So, even if you have to drive a long distance to do a side-by-side comparison, it is well worth it.

Hey glenn, That is the place I'm talking about. I feel sure we will enjoy getting together and swapping some stories. Of course, you will have to take it easy on and old fellow who can barely see the scope let alone the 100yd targets. Do you shoot at gnats on flys out there or what? HAHAHA

Merry Christmas to all you folks.

------------------