Find
Notify
Tools

New World Record Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I am not referring to guaranteed "hunts". If it is guaranteed, it is not a hunt because there are no guarantees in hunting. Your statement doesn't really have anything to do with my statement. Have you ever hunted on or even been to a properly managed high fenced hunting property? It's not all about size. A 100 acre high fenced property that is 95% wooded would be more difficult to hunt on than a 1,000 acre high fenced property that was all open pasture. You have to judge each property individually. I've never been to the place where this bull was killed (Laurentian Wildlife Estate), so I can't say whether or not the place offers a legitimate hunt. However, I will say that if it was 1,300 acres with no interior high fences and had at least 50% in heavy cover, then a challenging hunt could definitely be had as long as all the animals within the property were born naturally (in the field, not in pens) and had no human contact and were truly wild (meaning they possess all the same characteristics and habits of free ranging animals).

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
JJ,

If this bull had been born and raised on the 1300 acres with no interior fences and no human contact instead of in a breeding pen, the hunt would have been legit. I don't understand how some of you can think that 1300 acres of high fenced land with proper cover is a "pen". bewildered

Uh, it ate out of a bucket.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I know it did. I didn't say the "hunt" for this bull was legit. I was just stating some criteria that could have made for a legitimate hunt. I'm sure this particular bull was born and raised in a breeding pen.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noone is arguing that this was a shoot. If this guy is happy with that so be it. We all know what it is. Why get all bent out of shape about it? It isnt for many of us but no sense blowing a gasket over it. You dont have to support it but you dont have to rave against it either. Ill just call it what it is, a shoot, and recreation. It is certainly a nice animal but not a "world trophy" by my standards.
If someone else wants to call it that it is ok by me. I know the difference and that is all that matters to me. Quite frankly the place looks like a nice weekend getaway. I wouldnt mind going somewhere like that when I can not get time to do anything else. Some of us cant always afford the time for a serious hunt but still want to get out. I of course wouldnt be paying the kind of money they ask for a bull like that so would be shooting something much smaller.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote