New
Find
Notify
Tools

New World Record Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$1200 for a trophy like that? What a deal!

D'you think I should use a .460 or will the .378 be adequate in the event of a charge?

You know, they say that the cows are more aggressive than the bulls?

Wink

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is best to shoot her in the udder and wound her. Then approach her from the front. that way "she decides how she will die"
Use the big gun she has a large udder.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The animal was from a Canadian ranch.

Ouch Frowner

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
quote:
The animal was from a Canadian ranch.

Ouch Frowner

Maybe so...but this isn't a problem with Canada or the US...it is a problem with unethical people...and it is dangerous & nauseating. Mad
thumbdown

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How big is big? I remember any bull that was 320 or more was big. Now the Big is 400", plus or minus a few inches. Utah has had 13 or more bulls shot this fall that went over 400". Wild elk. But well managed elk.

That bull posted above looks like it came from that game ranch in Idaho that is high fenced.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I must have missed something here. Some guy killed a huge elk. I haven't seen that he claimed a free range hunt. Did he? If he didn't, why is everyone so pissed?

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdeshazo:
Here is the reply from Boone & Crockett.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/trophyWatch.asp?area...EB-83CA-A2E3462D4D22

Did you guys see the Mulie at the bottom of the B&C page!! WOW!

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
I must have missed something here. Some guy killed a huge elk. I haven't seen that he claimed a free range hunt. Did he? If he didn't, why is everyone so pissed?

Doesn't the claim of new world record exclude farm animals and high fences as well as imply fair-chase tactics? I think everyone is so pissed because this kind of crap will spell the end of hunting as we know it. Money will speak yet again. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Good hunting,

Andy

Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Did you guys see the Mulie at the bottom of the B&C page!! WOW!

Yes I did & that is what I thought... WOW!!! Eeker

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
The heading "New World Record" on this thread was posted by GA Deer Hunter not by the shooter. GA said a friend sent him the pic.
The guy paid big bucks to shoot an elk behind a fence. As long as HE doesn't claim a record, I don't have any problems with that.
You are correct, it would not qualify for B&C records.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
quote:
The heading "New World Record" on this thread was posted by GA Deer Hunter not by the shooter

I guess the heading should have been "New World Record???"

Please believe me when I tell you I was not claiming a New World Record had been shot. The picture is all over the internet and I just wanted to know if you guys had seen it and could confirm or deny the validity of the picture. The elk in question is definitely huge, but I guess it's easy to grow them that way when they are pen raised.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
A trophy that is bought and not earned is not a trophy. This should be classified in the same category as a slaughterhouse. Under NO circumstances should it be associated with or called hunting. It is not hunting...it is just killing. To each his own, but I will not share a campfire with a person such as the one who killed this animal. I have watched hunting go from a widely popular sport to a rich man's ego trip. I grew up hunting and the only cost involved was the cost of personal equipment and transportation. Oh yeah, sometimes we had to clean a barn or fix fence (or whatever) to gain permission to hunt. Some of that is still around. Paying for antler size nauseates me as do the people who pay for it. Call it what you like, but DON'T call it hunting! Nothing could be further from the truth. I am through with this thread as it is disgusting.

Good hunting,

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best part of this thread is getting to see that mulie. What a hell of a deer! Definitely one of a kind and how high would that rack look running away from you? That might give a guy some buck fever.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What my trophy cow hunt behind low fences is not the best part of this thread? Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Ron:
What my trophy cow hunt behind low fences is not the best part of this thread? Ron

I thought it was, damn things probly had mad cow disease anyway. (Self defense?)

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll start out by saying I have absolutely nothing to do with this elk nor the way it was hunted. Regarding "World Record", I believe SCI allows trophies taken behind high wire, yes??

I happened to be included in some mail traffic regarding this animal, and one of the participants asked me to post the following, which I will happily do on his behalf without accepting responsibility for the content or any ethical question implied by it. I thought it might be interesting to have some light shed on what actually happened with this bull (and apparent others in the same size class):

quote:
Mike,

Here is the real story of this elk. It was shot in Quebec, NOT in Montana. Pass this on to anyone that wants to know about this elk. The elk was taken with a rifle in September. The man holding the skull is Drew (deleted for privacy reasons) a client of ours that owns a TV show and happened to be there at the same time filming a show when he held up this rack. Yes, the one feeding is the same bull. It was taken at a ranch in Quebec called Laurentian. Info below. Whoever thought it was raised OR shot in Montana is mistaken.

To: (deleted for privacy reasons)
Cc: (deleted for privacy reasons)
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:07 AM
Subject: Fw: Fw: - Hunters, start drooling! - New World Record

It is a hoax. THIS is the same bull I just sent you in a photo a few minutes ago of the elk taken in Quebec.

This bull was NOT shot in Montana. Whoever claims this is getting themselves in a heap of trouble by doing so.

IF you look at the photo I sent to you it is the very same bull. See the guide sitting behind the bull. That is Tony (deleted for privacy reasons) from Laurentian in Quebec. See WHO is spreading the rumor that this was shot in Montana. It was not.

Ric, I don't know who started this rumor and how it got around that it was shot in Montana but I assure you it was not. The guide pictured here called me today to say someone was sending around an email claiming a hunter in Montana shot this elk and it is a lie, pure and simple. Please DO NOT send any more emails to anyone claiming this is a Montana elk OK?

I have sent a copy of this email to Tony so he can contact you directly to discuss this.

Raymond Oelrich
Publisher and President
Big Game Adventures

and from a separate mail:

quote:
Tony was quite upset yesterday morning when he asked me if I knew who in the US was passing around the story and photos that a Montana archer had taken a huge elk, only to find out it was not only their bull but Tony in the photo! I would be too. This is a big deal to the ranch and outfitter that goes to a lot of effort to take the largest elk ever shot then have someone else claim it.

Think if someone had taken photos of the Jordan buck or Hansen buck, claimed it as their own and circulated it onto the internet?

Anyway, we will do all we can to clear up this mess for Laurentian, both as a magazine and as a friend of these men.

We knew about this bull six weeks ago and had agreements between us all that one company (Laurentian) would take their huge elk with a rifle, another company (Hartland) would take their huge elk (scored 523 before losing much of his G4 in a fight and later scored 496) with a muzzleloader and the last one (Silvertine) would take theirs with a crossbow. We all did this and there are now three SCI world records out of Canada this fall. If you doubt who shot this ask SCI, they know about this bull and our two as well.

Here is the photo of Tony with the hunter at his camp. The lake is the same one shown in many of their photos, on their DVD and also on their website if anyone wants to see it online. Their website is www.LaurentianWildlife.com and you will be able to see on the video this same lake and terrain. After all, does this even LOOK like the Bitterroots in Montana? Think about it! I grew up hunting those mountains. Did the guy DRAG this 1,300 pound elk down to the lake for photos? Really.

One last thing that will prove this. The bull shown here is a Manitoba strain of elk, NOT a Rocky Mountain Elk. Ever see brow tines that long before? No, because Manitoba elk can and often grow them 18-26 inches long. The cover of our next issue has a Manitoba elk shot in Saskatchewan and it weighed 1,300 pounds with 24 inch brow tines.

If anyone else wants to verify this story call Tony (deleted for privacy reasons) (the guy in the photo with the hunter) directly at (deleted for privacy reasons).

Thanks, and please, everyone try to halt the spreading of this photo as a Montana bow kill OK?

Raymond Oelrich
Publisher and President
Big Game Adventures
www.BGAMAG.com

Hope this might be of interest.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, AC Recurve has hit the nail on the head. Good comments Andy. Again, this is what pisses me off about the whole "fence" thing....time and again these folks will pass it off as a fair chase kill and damnit it just ain't so. It has gotten to the point that I don't even bring pics of my elk to the local bow and gun shops when requested because of all the other pics there with ear tagged elk and the comments to the effect: "Gosh, why isn't yours as big?". It just ain't worth the trouble.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to subscribe to Big Game Adventures,but they do a great deal of canned shoots now.I prefer to read about real hunting,so I dropped my subscription.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What troubles me is that this guy from BGA seems "upset" that pictures are circulating that somehow "diminish" the "three SCI world records" that came out of Canada this fall. All three of which were evidently shot in a pen, albeit by different implements. Does SCI recognize this type of Bull bleep? The cry from true hunters and sportsmen should be loud and long that all canned hunting should be made illegal and game ranches (especially in the US and Canada) run out of business. The trouble Idaho is presently having trying to run down farmed elk that may have disease and altered genetics from a break in a fence only goes to illustrate the point as does the fact that CWD that is having a big affect on deer and elk in the Western States emanated from these operations. I'd rather participate in the harvest of a chipmunk in a fair chase setting than this elk. BTW, I'm also curious about the buck in the thread above. It was obviously killed in Mexico where high fence operations and less than honorable "outfitters" are becoming more and more an issue, as well.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m glad someone has come forward to offer full disclosure of the facts concerning the animal and the nature of the hunt(?). I am in no way an advocate or a fan of this type of hunting, but the idea of someone taking an animal in this manner and trying to pass it off as a free-range, fair-chase hunt is reprehensible. That is why I am happy to hear that those involved with the hunt are not trying to hide the true details. High fenced areas are not for me, but for some people with disabilities and physical challenges this may be their only alternative. I’m disappointed that SCI doesn’t have a separate and special record status for these “World Record†animals, but I do not wish to see any form of legislation or legal ordinance passed to limit or stop any form of hunting! It only takes one case to set a precedent, and who knows where it could go from there. The animal itself is a magnificent specimen, pen raised or not, just the sight of him gets my blood flowing. Whether or not it is a world record, I’m sure it wasn’t the elk’s ambition to make it into the book.
Dave

Posts: 87 | Location: High Above the Timberline | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
Wild, free ranging animals are hunted. Pen raised animals are euthanaised.

That elk was nothing more than someones pet.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I'm getting the feeling that several of you here are lumping pen raised animals and high fenced animals into the same category. You can't do that. There are still plenty of hunts that take place on large high fenced ranches where the animals roam free on thousands of acres and have no human contact and act just as they would in a free range setting. However, this doesn't appear to be one of those situations. I wouldn't personally want to do a hunt like this one, but I'm definitely not going to put it down. If that's what floats his boat, then more power to him. Think of it like this. Say you are the elk rancher in Canada and you have the bull pictured above as a breeder bull. Say he's pushing 10-12 years old and he's going to start going down hill in antler size. You know he's going to die of old age soon anyways. But, you know of a guy that is willing to pay $100k to shoot him. Think of how that sounds to the rancher who is now thinking, "Hmmmmm, $100,000 vs. $0, I'll take the $100,000 please". I'm not saying it should be eligible for any record book, but I'm also not going to say that it shouldn't be legal. It is legal and it should stay legal. When you look at many of the exotic species here in Texas, you can see that financial incentives are the only thing that saves some of these critters. How about if you don't like it, you don't do it; and if you do like it, by all means do it. Some of you need to just stop putting down hunting methods that you don't like or agree with. We need to all stick together and stop cutting each other's throats. Any questions? sofa

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are hunting game in an enclosure of thousands of acres with no guarantee of killing an animal,I could consider it hunting.However when you pick a specific animal out of a catalogue and are guaranteed to take that animal home,it is not hunting.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well this one here is pen(penthouse)raised, hand fed(Vodka,Bourbon,Gin,Cocaine). Yet I imagine very few of those criticising how that elk was taken,would knock back mounting a beast with a rack like that below. A mans ethics/actions vary according to ones desires, needs or oportunities that become available to him at the time.

Pen raised,hand fed, but paradoxically, still very wild!!! bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another magnificent specimen!

Posts: 87 | Location: High Above the Timberline | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
If this was taken on a high fence hunt, then a wild one-horned spike is 10 times the trophy that piece of crap will ever be. The only thing lower than the animal is the maggot who actually payed the money to shoot it and then proudly poses with it like he is a real hunter.
The record book should not be written by a damned breeding program and steroids. If we are stupid enough to fall of this type of activity, then the sport of hunting deserves to be outlawed.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
gun hating PETA bitch... i wouldn't get near her, and not just because of the hepetitus...

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is why the record books should be handled differently. One set of category for free range, another for estate. I wont get into a pissing match about "canned and pen raised". Some ranches including africa are extremely large with naturally reproducing populations. Good managemnet does include food suplementation as with any livestock if that is the buisness you are in. If it isnt for you dont do it. I dont care for it either except for an ocassional get away for a weekend of exotic shooting for my mental health when time allows nothing else. It certainly has no resemblence to the normal hunting most of us do. That dosnt mean we should totally condemn it either because it isnt our way. My problem has always been about calling it what it is. Certainly we dont need any legislature or any other crap of that nature. All it will take is one precedent and we will all be tied up in court forever. The huge anti dove hunting initiative that is funded by millions of out of state dollars in Michigan right now is a prime example. You cant give an inch gentleman even if it is something you personally dont care about or even find distastefull. I guarantee it will only be the beginning of a much bigger and well funded fight. Several SCI chapters and many others have funneled an enormous amount of money to fight this and it is only starting. Why would SCI as an organization and several others band together to fight the antis over doves? After all it is only a dove and hardly a big game animal right. You all know as well as I do this is a test case and they will attempt to expand from here if they win. My point is simply we have to stand together. Sometimes that means compromise and I never find that pleasant, especially when it is something I am passionate about. I guess I kind of got off the original subject but it all does tie together. I just want everyone to realize everything we say, write, and do by action is under the microscope. There are often unforseen and at times unwanted consequences to what we do and say.
Thanks for hearing me out so to speak, Ill get off my soapbox now.
Oh and whoever said it earlier WOW! That is one monster mule deer!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
How will the nonhunting neutral public view something like the Jimmy Houston video from a previous post? Will their opinion of hunting remain neutral? This type of activity is disgusting to so many real hunters, how is it not going to create more antihunters? How can these operations put hunters in this position and then expect them to stand up and defend them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can tell just by the look on the faces of the people in the photos, that they didn't accomplish anything noteworthy.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Some of you need to just stop putting down hunting methods that you don't like or agree with. We need to all stick together and stop cutting each other's throats. Any questions? sofa

As has been said, picking out a specific animal and then shooting it isn't hunting, so it doesn't qualify for your statement. Your statement applies to arguments of bowhunters vs crossbow hunters or traditional muzzleloader shooters vs inline muzzleloader shooters. This is a different issue entirely. This is a breeder of an animal that should only be a wild animal making a buck off someone that is desperate enough for a hunting "trophy" to shoot one in a pen, probably "baited" in by someone dumping food in his doggie dish. This breeder making a buck is costing all of us who hunt in the long run. All it does is generate more anti-hunting sentiment among non-hunters and therefore push more votes against hunting in the future. The saddest part is the email from someone being proud about having three "records" from Canada this year for livestock. He should be showing that thing at the livestock show at the local county fair instead of trying to get SCI to recognize it as a hunting record.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worst part of this is the elk was not shot in Manitoba near the Riding Mountain National Park, where they are free roaming and where it originated from.

Posts: 98 | Location: Riding Mountain, Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 11 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB:
What troubles me is that this guy from BGA seems "upset" that pictures are circulating that somehow "diminish" the "three SCI world records" that came out of Canada this fall. All three of which were evidently shot in a pen, albeit by different implements. Does SCI recognize this type of Bull bleep? The cry from true hunters and sportsmen should be loud and long that all canned hunting should be made illegal and game ranches (especially in the US and Canada) run out of business. The trouble Idaho is presently having trying to run down farmed elk that may have disease and altered genetics from a break in a fence only goes to illustrate the point as does the fact that CWD that is having a big affect on deer and elk in the Western States emanated from these operations. I'd rather participate in the harvest of a chipmunk in a fair chase setting than this elk. BTW, I'm also curious about the buck in the thread above. It was obviously killed in Mexico where high fence operations and less than honorable "outfitters" are becoming more and more an issue, as well.

I couldn't agree more. It's doesn't say much for SCI either...

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a slap in the face to people who really have earned trophies the hard way, the real way. I agree with ACrecurve 110 percent. Game ranches, laziness, people without enough skill, integrity, nor common sense, will someday soon completely ruin hunting for us all. Anyone who could be proud of shooting an animal in a pen is intellectually overmatched by the genius who's face appears up above this post. I am sure she and I would both love to spit in the face of the greedy puke who raises such animals, I'm sure even she has that much morale.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron Do you throw the halter in at that price ?

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a huge bull, even though it was pen raised and fed from a dish.

No matter what, shooting this type animal cannot be construed as: "hunting" in any form.

The only honest thing that can be claimed about this: "someone whoever it was shot a huge bull elk farm animal".

I would never take any pride in doing so no matter how much money I had.
I would very much like to enjoy watching such an animal, same as I enjoy watching cattle and horses in the pasture/pens etc.

Far as that ballooned chested nutcase I can't understand why any woman would do that to herself. IMO she's UGLY! Same as most young gals with the braless look. What a shame!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowman, Yes. The hunt includes all tags "in the ears" the halters and for another 100 I will let him shoot the calf and he can have the collar on it as well. It will be challange because the pasture is big. The call he will use is a coffee can with grain in it. Rattle it and wait for the old girl to come on the run.
Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just called the place that had the bull in the pic. The entire "ranch" is 1300 acres. They have another comperable bull they want to sell me. Thay were all happy and acting like they were running a legit operation. I wonder if they will offer me another " World Record ". Won't that other guy be pissed if I bought one bigger than his !!!!!!!!...............JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
JJ,

If this bull had been born and raised on the 1300 acres with no interior fences and no human contact instead of in a breeding pen, the hunt would have been legit. I don't understand how some of you can think that 1300 acres of high fenced land with proper cover is a "pen". bewildered

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't understand how some of you can think that 1300 acres of high fenced land with proper cover is a "pen".

When you are guaranteed to take a preselected animal in a single day,,how difficult can it be?