Find
Notify
Tools

Limited License Draw Results
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted
How did everyone do in their states' license drawings? For our family the run down is thus:

1 Doe tag- Unit 007- 4th Rifle
3 Buck tags- Unit 007- 4th Rifle
1 Buck tag- Unit 080- 2nd Rifle

2 Cow tags- Unit 080- Late Rifle
3 Cow tags- Unit 080- 2nd Rifle

no pronghorn antelope tags yet!

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Sir,
I don't meet too many here who hunt unit 7. It's probably my favorite spot. I didn't draw the muzzle loader tag I put in for so I will try my luck in the left over drawing.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Leif,

It has yet to turn into a favorite...actually Unit 8 is the spot I have my eye on. The two units are combined. I like it for camping in the summer, and I have to get those kids onto some game, so I thought there might be some deer around there. We saw several moose there last summer. Do you like the muzzleloader season best?

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some great memories of muzzleloaders on top of the Rawahs, near Grassy Pass & also on the other side near Jewell Lake in Unit 6. There is alot of game up there, but very difficult to get to, even with horses due to the swampy ground in the high passes. I have hunted up there for several seasons & I am still learning my way around. I have spent a few days in unit 8, but don't know it very well.
The Laramie River valley is getting crowded with hikers and back country horse people, it takes a good 3 hours at a steady gait to get away from the hordes..
You are right about the abundant game. I have seen gobs of moose, elk, deer, & bear. On the ridge through the south end of unit 8 there is a band of sheep, too.
I have found the north end of unit 8 betwen Jimmy Creek & Bull Mountain to have alot of Elk. Make sure & look that area over really good. I wouldn't be caught dead their on the weekends, however.

one of us
posted Hide Post
2 buck tags for 3
1 cow tag for 33
1 bull tag for 61. 4th season. Anyone out there hunted in 61? Could use some tips if anyone has.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taos,
I have a friend who hunts 61. I can't confirm it but it's alot of BLM with Dessert like terrain. Cedar, Juniper, Cactus & steep Arroyos. He said there is a ton of Elk there. They use 4 wheelers to get around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Our talley for Colorado is:

3 Cow tags for Area 2 in the 3rd season

1 Buck deer tag for Area 2 in the 3rd season

1 Doe deer tag for Area 2 in the 3rd season

1 Bull elk tag for area 42 in the early season

1 Doe deer tag for Area 92 in the Dec late season

1 Buck antelope tag for Ranching for Wildlife (Kim Ranch)

2 Doe antelope tags for Ranching for Wildlife (Kim Ranch)

Good year for the draw even if I didn't pull the moose or sheep tag.

I'll also hunt deer in Pa and Va, pigs in Tx and a buffalo cow in Wy this year.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
wowzers,

I thought I had a big family! Is this your hunting party? Looks like fun! Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to area 2 4th season for cow elk so don't shoot them all. None of us drew deer tags up there this year though. I didn't draw antelope but that's ok. I got my second choice for deer which is a doe tag in unit 90 which I've never hunted before. So if anyone knows anything about 90 any info would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck in Area 2 in the 4th season. That's when I normally hunt, but we had enough points to get my elderly father a buck tag and deer isn't open the 4th season there.

I've taken quite a few elk out of that area. I'm stockpiling points for a bull tag there. It'll take 14 to draw and I'm sitting on 10 right now. Hopefully in a few more years I'll get one of those huge bulls I keep seeing. There are some absolute monsters there. I picked up a matched set of sheds that scored a little over 320 B&C without having a spread measurement. There are some record book bulls dieing of old age in that area.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 Buck tags 1st combination unit 181
1 late cow hunt unit 181

Was up in unit 181 yesterday saw some cow elk plus bull moose just starting to get horns. Papers made out like Granby was wiped out but it's alive and well. Plan on getting the horses up there later this month and see how high the bulls are. I plan on hunting for elk in the first season alot of left over tags for unit 181 so no need to put in for the draw. I'm kind of waiting also to see about the either sex elk tags and what units they will be in. Might just be able to get an extra tag also. Well good luck to all!

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Tom/ Mac/ Hunterbug-

Good luck to all you guys (and gals if there are gals in your party). I was interested to read Mac and Hunterbug speak of Unit 2 for bulls...I saw a pair of antlers off a 5 pt that a buddy shot there in 2000. They were high and spindly, like some mule deer you see...I asked him about the antler formation, and he was puzzled also. Certainly not a genetic thing specific to that area, considering what you guys are saying.

I have seen buck antelope with different formations in different parts of the state, but never noticed it with elk. He probably shot a bull that was a weak 5 pt, transitioning from a 4 pointer.

I dont have nearly enough elk preference points to draw there, (5) but I am getting real tired of waiting 8 yrs between antelope licenses. SIGH...

I would be interested to know your season harvest results, maybe we can start a new thread in January?

posted Hide Post
3 buck tags unit 211 3rd rifle season

Posts: 8 | Location: its a dry heat Arizona | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Buck tag unit 21, third season
RFW cow tag

Anyone know anything about 21?

Posts: 17 | Location: Littleton,CO | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With Quote