Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Cow Elk Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Anybody got a line on one. I am aware of some of the land owner tag hunts in UT.

Anybody know of something similar?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10064 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Ted Turner's ranch along the NM/CO border sells 3-day ones in Dec. for $350, but I could be wrong; I'm married after all.

Also, the NRA in Raton (Whittington Center) does $400 cow hunts but it may be a lottery.

Finally, at the end of most elk seasons in NM, the F&G puts elk tags on the net and they go in about 3 minutes... not sure if these are open to non-residents though.

One more, I believe Idaho has a special "predation" hunt (with very special limitations) for cow elk hunts in August, but again, I don't know if these are open to non-residents.

Cows are the best eating for sure.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Cow elk steaks is what I am after

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10064 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
I am looking for an inexpensive cow elk hunt to fill the freezer for the year. Anyone have a line on one close to Kentucky?
Thanx!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hey...no hijacking my thread...what if there is only 1 cow elk left on the planet...LoL

Mike

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Lots of cow elk tags still left for units 25 and 26 in Colorado.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still reduced price cow/calf tags left in Wyo. area 21 east of Baggs.

Posts: 35 | Location: Wyo | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
You can go to the NM Game and Fish website and download a list of all landowners that have certificates. You'd have to do some calling, but I suspect you would find some landowners that still have certificates. My brother got one for a muzzleloader hunt for $300. Of course, you still have to buy the license from the state, which could be anywhere from $330ish to $770ish for non-residents.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about in MT? I have a big game combo but I'd like to fill it with a cow elk and a bruiser of a whitetail buck.

Let me clarify, I'm all set for the deer hunt.....just looking for a central MT area for a cow, even SE down near St X would be OK.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Turners ranch has a couple outfitters (Kiowa) that have the cow hunt rights for hire....$345 for the tag and $1000 for the hunt....It is a truck hunt and you shoot from the road if thats what you want. If you want something cheaper but with limited availabilty PM me.

The NRA Wittington hunts are draw.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike: check Wyoming site..http://gf.state.wy.us. The unsold leftover reduced price cow/calf tags are going on sale by the end of the month..stand alone tags.. try areas 92, 94, 87, 96, 97, 98, all around Pinedale..seasons run pretty late, late enough to get in on a migrateing elk.. If you draw, pm me for advice.. Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips Guys

Mike

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Around Durango there are several options. Leftover tags for areas 74 and 75 on public land, Keyah Grande Ranch has them, and one other reseach ranch that has them for cheap.

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SNS outfitters huntwyo.com I belive is the web site.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
thanks guys

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with the various indian tribes in the western usa:White Mtn Apaches in AZ;Jicarillo Apaches in Northern,NM ;Mescalaro Apaches in NM;San Carlos Apaches in AZ: San Carlos sold a $75K any bull elk tag for any of their areas,10 sold for $30K apiece, 30 Anterless sold for $600 apiece,they have coues whitetail,mtn lions,javelina,quail,black bears,bobcats.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I found a tule cow elk tag in CA that inlcudes pig hunting.

When I look at the total cost to go out of state, it's a good deal.

Kinda funny that I am going to be hunting in CA.

Thanks all!

Mike

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Now that should be a good time. I'm looking forward to your hunt report.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

Thanks all!

I've been thinking about a Siskyou County trip, used to live there and might remember a little bit about where to look. Are the elk tags in the book?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14386 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Tom,

The tags are PLM landowner tags. The hunt will be in the foothills north west of Taft which is due east and slightly south of Bakersfield.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

Thanks all!

I've been thinking about a Siskyou County trip, used to live there and might remember a little bit about where to look. Are the elk tags in the book?
Marble Mtns Elk herd I have 7 preference points for elk,mule deer and speed goat getting drawn is almost impossible.I checked with a hunter in Fort Jones who had a successful guided elk hunt in the marbles on private land cost with guide and horses over $5K not including the tag he said they rode in about 12 miles seeing nothing until they got back near their starting point where 4 of them got their bulls,he said his was legal but not a trophy.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Mike, why not give Wendell Reich a call. He has lots of Red Stag Hinds on his ranch and from my personal experience, my Stag I took off his ranch tastes way better than Elk (and I think Elk is fine meat). My friend took another big Stag from Wendell's ranch and he says the same thing. In fact, we plan on returning just to shoot Hinds for the freezer. His price for Hinds is very fair. Email me if you only want a cow Elk and I'll make some calls.
Good hunting,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HTR30CAL
posted Hide Post
maybe for next year check out 59outfitters.com in wyoming

there is room for all of God's creatures, right on my wall

Wyoming Wolves, Smoke A Pack A Day

Wolves, Government Sponsored Terrorists

If its hungry, send it a Berger

Posts: 44 | Location: Wyoming USA | Registered: 22 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks all!

Who are you hunting with down there? The Twisselmans?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Yep, the twisselmans

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If all you want are the steaks my buddy has an elk ranch and will sell you a cow for meat. You don't get to shoot it though!

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody got a line on one. I am aware of some of the land owner tag hunts in UT.

Anybody know of something similar?

Mike -

In Oregon owners of more than 40 acres of land are allowed what are called Land-owners' Preference Tags... What that means is that in hunt units where big game tags are only available by drawing, land owners whose land is in those units get their tags before the general public lottery is considered. If one has enough land, he can get a LOT of tags.

As I understand it, the land owners cannot LEGALLY sell those tags. But I also know it is done all the time.

The way the "game" works for land owners wanting to make money off the elk on their land in units with little or no open public land, is to have the prospective hunter apply for a bull tag. With very limited public access, few if any of those units have all their bull tags applied for. So, they are almost guaranteed a 100% chance of drawing.

Most of those ranchers have arrangements with the local state-employed game biolgists whereby if the hunter wants a cow elk instead of a bull, he can trade in his bull tag for two cow tags, on the QT. The logic is that by allowing two cow kills, 4 elk will actually die, one mom, one calf for each tag, as virtually all those cow elk are pregnant during the late season. Therefore there will be less in the way of damage claims from ranchers against the State.

Anyway, once the hunter has his tag or tags, the rancher gets into the money pot by selling "tresspass rights" on his land to the hunter...usually at about $1,000 to $3,000 for A cow elk, $10,000 for a bull. If the hunter wants a cow elk, the rancher will often guide him to them, and it is not impossible or even unusual on some ranches to see up to 2,000 cow elk per day.

For bulls, the rancher may or may not guide the hunter, but at the $10,000 price usually will, and will likely put him up in the ranch house as well. Bulls are a LOT harder to find after the rut than the cows are, and generally are not hanging out with the cows. They've gone into much rougher country to be by themselves and safe.

It is really a business, hardly a sport. I know of one fellow who one year bought the annual statewide "Governor's Auction Tag" which gave him the right to kill a bull in any unit in the state, during a season extended especially for him. IIRC, he paid over $50,000 for that tag. He then bought tresspass rights on the ranch of one of our neighbors, for which he paid another $10,000. He killed a very, very nice 7-point bull and was so happy, he made arrangements to have his son "fill" one of the rancher's Owner's Preference bull tags. I don't know what he paid for that or how he arranged to do it. But, I know he did pay another $10,000 trespass fee for his son.

So, the rancher cleared at least $20,000 on the deal...enough to pay the real estate tax on his very large ranch that year.

Ross Seyfried's ranch is in roughly the same area, just a few miles further east. He advertises cow hunts in a least one magazine.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montana has quite a few districts where you can shoot a cow with your OTC tag

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote