THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Vast expanses of Colorado's Western Slope howl for wolves
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vast expanses of Colorado's Western Slope howl for wolves
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.gjsentinel.com/opi...23-10604b9f1ff4.html

Vast expanses of Colorado's Western Slope howl for wolves

DELIA MALONE

Recently, while hiking on Cold Mountain in Moffat County, I watched truckload after truckload of cattle being dumped onto our public lands to graze, unmanaged, on the grasses that had scarcely recovered from the previous year's bout of overgrazing. Pronghorn, deer and elk also watched as their food resource was taken over by the invaders and they were displaced to search for their survival on the remnants.

Livestock grazing, well managed, can be sustainable. Unmanaged, or poorly managed grazing occurs all too frequently across the West. After all, the reason that all shape and size of native wildlife species from bison to eagles to wolves were exterminated was so that the livestock industry could graze their cattle and sheep unmanaged — so that the West was no longer wild.

Good grazing management has been demonstrated to improve range conditions — from grasses to soils to stream health — appropriately managed grazing can even restore and maintain healthy ecosystems. Managed grazing can also have one more important effect — it can prevent most losses of livestock to carnivoresm including to gray wolves. Even without grazing management, livestock losses to wolves are minimal. For example in Montana's wolf country where there are approximately 550,000 cattle, 165,000 sheep and about 500 wolves. Over the past 10 years, an average of 50 cattle and 65 sheep have been killed each year by gray wolves. In the northern Rockies, confronted with the return of wolves and grizzlies, ranchers have developed innovative grazing management strategies that have both improved rangeland condition (which translates to fatter cattle and sheep) and enabled coexistence with carnivores.

The vast expanses of Colorado's Western Slope howls for wolves. Colorado needs wolves. Behind the myth, behind the cloak of fear, lies the truth — founded in fact. Over the past decades science has revealed that gray wolves are essential to healthy, functioning ecosystems – the kind that every human relies on for our everyday needs.

Science has revealed that Colorado's wildlands and wildlife are suffering without wolves. Chronic Wasting Disease is common in deer and elk herds (in Colorado more than 50 percent of deer herds and more than 30 percent of elk herds are infected with CWD), overuse of streamside vegetation is resulting in streams being degraded and dying, and more than 80 percent of the West's native wildlife that rely on streamside vegetation is suffering from this degradation.

We can restore our Wild West. We can restore the balance. By recognizing that there is wisdom in the original creation, that all life has value, not merely that which brings economic gain to the few, we can begin to restore the West. Restoring gray wolves to Colorado is essential to restoring that balance. Wolves evolved with the West and its wildlife. Wolves are a keystone species, meaning a species that has an inordinately large and positive effect on other species and the landscape. Wolves improve the health of their prey (primarily elk and deer) by preferentially selecting and removing the diseased and weak. Wolves help prevent the decimation of streamside vegetation from large ungulates by moving them around and out of riparian habitat which enables that habitat to recover. And, by moderating populations of mesopredators (coyotes, raccoons etc.) wolves enable other species to thrive, thereby enhancing biological diversity. Wolves have powerful and positive effects in food webs which improve forests and rangelands for all species, including those game species that humans hunt.

Cries that wolves will harm the elk and deer hunting industry in Colorado are not borne out by fact. In the northern Rockies elk populations, numbers are at or above what they were pre-wolf restoration. For example, in Montana in 1995 the elk population was 109,500. In 2017 the elk population was 176,716. In Idaho, Craig White, the Fish and Game regional supervisor for Magic Valley, is quoted in 2017 as saying "This is the good-old days of elk hunting. There was only one period when Idaho hunters were harvesting as many elk as they are now." In Colorado we have about 277,000 elk with 23 of 43 elk herds exceeding the population objectives set by Colorado Parks and Wildlife by more than 10 percent. Numbers of big game in excess of herd objectives contribute to vegetation degradation conditions so that plant communities cannot support current populations and the carrying capacity is reduced.

I often hear claims that "everything is fine, why do we need wolves?" or "this is the way it's always been." From my perspective as an ecologist, everything is not fine and, as documented by historical biological surveys, this is not how it's always been. Making decisions out of fear and ignorance of facts has always proven disastrous. This is the time to embrace truth and go forward, to healthier, more sustainable future. This is the time to restore our relationship with the natural world. This is the time to restore wolves to Colorado.

Delia Malone works as an ecologist throughout Colorado. Delia also works as adjunct faculty at Colorado Mountain College in their sustainability program where she teaches conservation biology, ecology and the science of sustainability. She volunteers as the Wildlife Team chair for the Colorado Chapter of the Sierra Club with a goal to restore nature's balance by conserving and protecting all of life's biological diversity for future generations of human and wildlife.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just another bunch of drivel from a anti.

Posts: 19444 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'd be curious where her numbers come from for the Montana and Idaho Elk herds? I've never heard from one single hunter that "these are the good old days".
All too often some person of "credentials" gets to parade their opinion and agenda and by many is deemed as fact when in reality it is not backed by science or fact.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I must add that it was hard for me to read the article after her beginning about "truckloads of cattle being dumped on our public lands un managed".
As an alleged "accredited scientist" she should know that public lands have a grazing system and it is managed by Feds with permits, allotments and inspections.
When you tell lies to further your agenda your credibility is diminished.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Self Proclaimed Ecologist = Emotionally Charged Know Nothing As Far As Wildlife Management Is Concerned.

Hopefully Colorado DOW or whatever it is called now will be able to keep that from ever happening.

I have my doubts however since much of Colorado has been Kalifornicated!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another fkn idiot runs off at the mouth about things that she has no real knowledge of.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all of us that know that everything she stated in that piece was pure BS is good! However, many of the urban folks and people that aren't involved in the outdoors that read it will think she knows what she's talking about because of her so-called "credentials" and they'll embrace her philosophies, which is too bad!

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
There are people here that are will lick the ass of a red wolf to report a specific diet.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Total bullshit and lies!

CH: it's now; CPW CO Rarks & wishful hopes!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
CH: it's now; CPW CO Rarks & wishful hopes!

I have a damn hard time remembering that George.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
uhhhh.
they must be introducing those vegan wolves.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Good for me
Without large predators, it ain’t true west
Take it anyway you want it boys and elk will do just fine

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
So Boarkiller do you think then that her article as written is factual?
Do you feel that it is alright to lie, twist or bend the facts to further your position hoping that the ill informed or uneducated will swallow the story and support your side?

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I see many articles like this throughout the years
It’s only my opinion that wolf as well as bears belong here and I’m more then willing to share hunting grounds with large predators and I have in last couple of decades
Elk are doing fine overall

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You completely sidestepped my question.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s only my opinion that wolf as well as bears belong here and I’m more then willing to share hunting grounds with large predators

The only problem with the wolf and bear sharing the range is the unlimited protection they have received.

Even in areas where they have been recovered and shown to be a detriment to humans, stock and wildlife.

I do not think that they are more important them humans or just as important.

Do I believe that they need to be wipe out no but they need to be controlled. Having enough around so we can hunt is fun.

Giving them unlimited protection is just plain stupide.

As is the case here in MN, MI and Wis. they have way passed any population goals set. Yet we can not control them.

That is what really makes people mad not that they are just here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do I believe that they need to be wipe out no but they need to be controlled. Having enough around so we can hunt is fun.

Giving them unlimited protection is just plain stupide.

As is the case here in MN, MI and Wis. they have way passed any population goals set. Yet we can not control them.

I believe that is a fairly commonly shared belief concerning bears and wolves, manage them just like every other game species.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
You completely sidestepped my question.

I have no idea if everything she wrote is factual or not
I only stated what I thing about wolves
We live with them here and seem to be able to manage them

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used to bowhunt up in the Unpahgree Plateau back in '80-'82. We were up around 10,000ft and every night you could hear "wolves" howl! We were 40 miles west of Montrose. That first year I was up in the dark timber right at dusk. I was set up watching a game trail that was 15 yds away. I had a big grey wolf trot down that trial! He was huge, probably 8 ft from nose to tip of tail. I had the wind right but "no way" was I gonna draw down on that thing! When I told a guy in a sporting good store in Montrose, he called me a liar. Well, I know what a coyote looks like. I even know what coyote/dog cross is...and this thing was a wolf. So Kathi- go camp way up in the Unpahgree, up around 10,000 in late August and enjoy the howls!
PS People can believe me or not, I don't care. They can't "make me care" either, ha.

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Knight:
So Kathi- go camp way up in the Unpahgree, up around 10,000 in late August and enjoy the howls! PS People can believe me or not, I don't care. They can't "make me care" either, ha.

Jim, FYI Kathi was not the author of the article, She is a member in VERY good standing hear and just posts these articles/links to keep all of us informed.

P.S. I believe you saw a wolf. When you see one there is NO doubt what it is!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops...so sorry, but wasn't being mean, I meant "they are there and have been there" for quite some time, ha. I also told that guy in the store...don't believe me then, just go up there near Columbine Pass, camp out 2 weeks and you will hear them too!" Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uncompahgre.

I think what is being missed is, if there are wolves already in that area, then wolves Do Not need to be introduced!

That is what happened up in the Yellowstone country. Wolves were already present, but because of various outside influences, USF&W decided to introduce more wolves and of a sub-species not native to the area.

That is why STATE game agencies should be the deciding agency.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed...big time! Look at the Big Game populations, especially moose, around Pinedale, WY now! Long way from Yellowstone...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Knight:
Agreed...big time! Look at the Big Game populations, especially moose, around Pinedale, WY now! Long way from Yellowstone...

I remember seeing a moose not too far from Pinedale a couple of years back, and not high up either.
There were many fewer antelope though...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14445 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Self Proclaimed Ecologist = Emotionally Charged Know Nothing As Far As Wildlife Management Is Concerned.

Hopefully Colorado DOW or whatever it is called now will be able to keep that from ever happening.

we don't need wolves, but we sure could use some grizzlies to add a bit of edge to the wilderness experience.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

we don't need wolves, but we sure could use some grizzlies to add a bit of edge to the wilderness experience.

Grizz in an area will certainly do that, LOL!

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You boys can cry wolf all you want, in my opinion as a hunter, they belong here
And so do Griz
The only thing I don’t like about all this is Feds have a tendency to overrule our game departments and that I don’t like

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I don’t like about all this is Feds have a tendency to overrule our game departments and that I don’t like

And that is just exacvtly what caused the problem in the Yellowstone.

There were native wolves in the area, but the eco-freaks convinced USF&W that there needed to be MORE of them, amd instead of trying to trap and relocate the native subspecies of the region, they brought in a larger subspecies from Canada, and brought in too damn many.

Grizzlies would shake up the mix, but they were native to that region.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I dont see it as a priblem, only correction
My issue with Feds was when they told us we couldn’t hunt them
And this so called larger species is a myth as is myth of too many wolves
One pack hunts 400-500 square miles and no other Pack usually enters their area and size of pack is simply according to number of prey
Yet it’s complicated for many people
Anyway, wolf issue is simply intolerance and control issue on both fronts - Feds and hunters

“ Hávamál”

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One pack hunts 400-500 square miles and no other Pack usually enters their area and size of pack is simply according to number of prey

Another lie put out by the pro wolf crowd here in Wis the area is a lot smaller.

Like the lie a pack only has one litter a year.

I personally seen two litters together a total of 13 pups. One knew it was two litters because there were two sizes of pups.

Remember a lot of so call wolf research comes from the very limited area of Isle Royal NP.

A totally unrealistic research area that is very limited in size and prey.

When the research is done by pro wolf anti hunting crowd they well stack the research in favor of the wolves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And this so called larger species is a myth as is myth of too many wolves

Milan I do not think it is as big a myth as you seem to.

First they weren't a different species, but a different subspecies and even among wolves there are differences even if only subtle/slight between animals from one area and those from an area a few hundred miles distance away.

The two things I believe that caused the most problems was the actions of the Fe4ds, not getting the state game officials involved and not actively manage the animals by allowing hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
{"another fkn idiot runs off at the mouth about things that she has no real knowledge of."}

Seems like a lot of that in this thread.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Simply most areas in Montana when it comes to elk and deer numbers this year are doing great with historically high numbers
We all love wild places and at the same time selfishly try to make them “civilized “

And this so called larger subspecies?
Maybe few pounds extra don’t make them take their prey down any easier
And The “ Dog eat dog” saying is there for reason as wolves are pretty brutal and intolerant to each other ( read death by its own kind )
So get of your high horse guys and enjoy hunting where you may not be top of food chain and hunting skills need to be more then just walk in the woods and shoot something
No more “ walk in the park “

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is more to the whole subspecies mechanics than just being a few pounds heavier.

Hunting styles, pack size and life is different on various levels.

The point remains, USF&W made/makes decisions, without really getting input from the state Game Agencies or the citizens from the areas that will be effected.

Ever hear or see mention on AR of thev Federal Register.

If you haven't, check in to it. It is aq publication, put out by the Federal Government concerniong pending decisions on such issues as the Importing of Legallyb taken Elephant Ivory into the U.S.

The problem is that ANYONE that is an American citizen can comment on the proposal, even though they are not personally affected in any way or have No Dog in the fight.

The ONLY folks that should have had ANY involvement in the decision to reintroduce wolves into the Yellowstone, apart from USF&W should have been the Game & Fish Departments and the Citizens of Idaho/Montana and Wyoming, No One From NEW YORK CITY or Texas or any place else. only thosev that would be directly affected.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
... The ONLY folks that should have had ANY involvement in the decision to reintroduce wolves into the Yellowstone, apart from USF&W should have been the Game & Fish Departments and the Citizens of Idaho/Montana and Wyoming, No One From NEW YORK CITY or Texas or any place else. only thosev that would be directly affected.
+1

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is more to the whole subspecies mechanics than just being a few pounds heavier.

Hunting styles, pack size and life is different on various levels.

The point remains, USF&W made/makes decisions, without really getting input from the state Game Agencies or the citizens from the areas that will be effected.

Ever hear or see mention on AR of thev Federal Register.

If you haven't, check in to it. It is aq publication, put out by the Federal Government concerniong pending decisions on such issues as the Importing of Legallyb taken Elephant Ivory into the U.S.

The problem is that ANYONE that is an American citizen can comment on the proposal, even though they are not personally affected in any way or have No Dog in the fight.

The ONLY folks that should have had ANY involvement in the decision to reintroduce wolves into the Yellowstone, apart from USF&W should have been the Game & Fish Departments and the Citizens of Idaho/Montana and Wyoming, No One From NEW YORK CITY or Texas or any place else. only thosev that would be directly affected.

We’ll differ on that Randall

“ Hávamál”

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Now I remember why I blocked Boarkiller and PD.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You funny pack rat
What are you afraid of?
What’s wrong with us as hunters when we are afraid of predators in wild?

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We really don't "Differ" all that much Milan.

There has to be natural predators in any healthy eco-system.

But just like the Game species, predator numbers have to be managed and the best managers are the folks that are familiar with and live in the area, not bureaucrats in DC or ecofreaks in New York City.

Even though it seems like everyone here in the part of Texas where I live kills every coyote they see if they have the chance, I don't think very many people, if any would really like seeing coyotes competely exterminated.

I imagine it is the same way with wolves. I know one of the most lasting memories Lora and I have from our trip to Idaho in 2010 when I got my black bear, was setting around the campfire listening to the wolves howling.

But there is a big difference between spending a few days in an area and then going home and living with the critters on a full time basis.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
We really don't "Differ" all that much Milan.

There has to be natural predators in any healthy eco-system.

But just like the Game species, predator numbers have to be managed and the best managers are the folks that are familiar with and live in the area, not bureaucrats in DC or ecofreaks in New York City.

Even though it seems like everyone here in the part of Texas where I live kills every coyote they see if they have the chance, I don't think very many people, if any would really like seeing coyotes competely exterminated.

I imagine it is the same way with wolves. I know one of the most lasting memories Lora and I have from our trip to Idaho in 2010 when I got my black bear, was setting around the campfire listening to the wolves howling.

But there is a big difference between spending a few days in an area and then going home and living with the critters on a full time basis.

And I always maintain that belief that predators have to be hunted just like prey
Every hunter here and there utters thoughts out loud that they would like to go back in times, well, those time meant all large predators present
I still have hard time with hunters who cry wolf and want some kinda “ easy hunting “ and justify it by hating and trying to get rid of large predators

I’m first and foremost hunter and conservationist and it can go together if we think that way, not just being selfish “ me me me, I need meat for my freezer and ... but hunt and enjoy nature in full, not selective

If I’m one of the few who don’t mind large predators in wild then I think we as hunters as a group, we are screwed in our heads

“ Hávamál”