New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wind Direction??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last weekend at my hunting shack we had some interesting discissions on wind direction and Whitetails. Seems that we disagree on wind direction while making a one or two man push (drive) to standing hunters.

So, I figured I would come here and get your thought on the matter.

Question:
While making a one or two man push (drive) to standing hunters, should the wind be at the drivers back or in his face?

Choices:
Wind at drivers back
Wind in drivers face
Doesn't matter

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve, We prefer the Wind at the "back" of the Drivers. That way the Deer get both the "Sneaking Noise"(an occasional limb being intentionally stepped on without talking or hollering) and the Human Scent going to them. Then they typically ease slowly away from the Sneakers and toward the folks in ambush.

We have found a slow meandering Sneak works better for us than a loud Whooping and Hollering Drive. On the noisy drives, the Deer either come out of the woods/swamps wide-open or hunker down to let the noise pass them by. On the Sneak Drives, the Bucks seem to get more concerned and ease out slowly as they watch their back side. The Does move out with either style, but do it in a more controlled maner when the drivers are Sneaking along.

On the Sneak Drives, the guys doing the Sneaking rarely get a shot. On the Noisy Drives, it is fairly common for the Driver to get "Shotgun Style" shot opportunities " if " they can stomp along and keep their heads up a bit.

It will be interesting to see what methods other folks have good luck with. Good question.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Steve, We prefer the Wind at the "back" of the Drivers. That way the Deer get both the "Sneaking Noise"(an occasional limb being intentionally stepped on without talking or hollering) and the Human Scent going to them. Then they typically ease slowly away from the Sneakers and toward the folks in ambush.

We have found a slow meandering Sneak works better for us than a loud Whooping and Hollering Drive. On the noisy drives, the Deer either come out of the woods/swamps wide-open or hunker down to let the noise pass them by. On the Sneak Drives, the Bucks seem to get more concerned and ease out slowly as they watch their back side. The Does move out with either style, but do it in a more controlled maner when the drivers are Sneaking along.

On the Sneak Drives, the guys doing the Sneaking rarely get a shot. On the Noisy Drives, it is fairly common for the Driver to get "Shotgun Style" shot opportunities " if " they can stomp along and keep their heads up a bit.

It will be interesting to see what methods other folks have good luck with. Good question.

Years ago I was on a "whooping and hollering" drive. I was on a stand. I watched a doe just lie down and let the drivers walk right by her. Quite interesting.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the wind to my back when pushing and we do not make a bunch of noise. We go slow and stop often. Most times when you stop for awhile the deer can't hear you so they do not know what you are doing but they still smell you. They get nervous and bust out or try sneak out. This works well in the cattails.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
IMO its more important that the wind be in the face of the standers. If you try to push deer through the scent stream from the standers, you generally won't have much luck.

And more often than not that means the wind must be at the back of the pushers.

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote