THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    My 07 Brown Bear Hunt - Story and another photo added bullet photo added

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 07 Brown Bear Hunt - Story and another photo added bullet photo added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Attached are photos from my hunt. The hunt was with Peterson's Guide Service out of Sitka.

I took the bear in Chaik Bay. I used a 376 Steyr built on an FN Mauser with a CZ 375 550 take off bbl, a Kahles 2x7 in Talley Mounts, and a Mel Smart laminated stock and 270 grn Barnes Triple Shok over 65.7 grns of BLC-2 (according to Hornandy BLC-2 gives a good combination of velocity and low pressure). The first leaf was sighted in 1 inch high for the same load at 50 yds. The front sight is a big ivory bead.

Recovered 1 of 2 slugs retained weight was 268.8 grns.

The bear (boar) squared an even 8ft with skull measurments of 22 2/16.

He died sorta of all curled up (note how the head looks disproportional to the body). The side you see here is the first round exit wound. If you look forward of the exit wound you can see a slightly darker spot in the hide which is the second shot entrance wound.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big congrats! I have shot a 376 Steyr my friend has. They are a great round. Looks like a lot of fun! Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Mike, that is a beautiful Bear! Congrats. I hope you post a pic where we can see him spread out; like a rug? How are you mounting him? David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice pics and handsome bear! Love to read the story that goes along with it... Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee Mike.
If that beer wakes up your gonna be in deep
Do-Do.
Beautiful bear!!!
Congratulations !!
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
He is gonna be a rug.

We spotted a bear about 1/2 mile away walking the shore so we planned where we would sneak a shore. We were glassing from a small island. As we got ashore we realized the bear we spotted was pretty small but I saw this other bigger lookin bear about 1/2 mile away in a meadow walking toward us. But we also had the smaller bear walking toward us and he was now inside a 100 yards...we waited and the small bear approached to within about 25 yards then spottted us and fortunately just head up into the timber.

We couldn't really move cause we had been sitting still waitng for the small bear to leave and had no idea how close the other bigger bear was. The shore was strewn with downed trees and logs. About a 100 yards away we saw this bear's hump appear above a downed tree. He then stepped over the the tree. We discussed how big he was and my guide Hugh Bevan estimated 7 1/2 to 8 ft.

I have never been the "hold out for a bigger one" type...so I said if he stops I am gonna take him. Well as you may know bears sometimes are in that constant amble. He just kept getting closer and closer and finally at about 65 yds he stopped looking straight at us. I didn't like that shot but then he turned and gave me a quartering to shot.

I fired hitting him just inside the shoulder neck area. He gave off a big roar and several more roars as I was immediately cycling a round. His ass end dropped as he spun a 180 most likely indicating some spine damage.

As I slammed the bolt closed I reached way too hard and fast into the trigger guard and touched off a round (A/D) putting it into the water about 20 ft from the bear. Fortunately, I didn't lose concentration and immediately cycled another round and hit him behind the near shoulder. Basically, two shots travelling the same path but from opposite directions. He collapsed at the second shot and lay still. I stayed on target until I was sure he was dead as we waited about two minutes or so with absolutely no movement.

We approached and as we got to within about 20 yards I threw a rock, no movement. Hugh a approached from the rear, as I covered him from the side, and jabbed the bear several times in his spine with the muzzle of his 375hh. No movement from the bear.

Hugh then came over and stood next to me and then I approcahed from an angle from the front, as Hugh covered me from the side, and poked him in the eye, No movement, we had a dead bear. Then we relaxed and congratulated each other.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mike, nice bear! Sounds like a very good hunt.

~Ann

Posts: 19234 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Cool, Mike! Thanks for sharing, and that's going to make a great looking rug; I like the reddish color. Congrats!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Mike, in the pics your bear looks cinnamon with chocolate feet and head. Is this how he really looks? Regardless, he will make a beautiful rug and I would rug a color bear too. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
It must just be the photo cause he was just plain brown with dark paws and and a dark head

Mike

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Now that you've used a TSX bullet for this task, what do you think of them? Use them again? Partition or Aframe better?

Could a Northfork have performed any better?

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BEAR!! thumb

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I got a say I luv the TSX. I have had either exit wounds with good blood trails or quick kills and the few that I have recovered have been perfect mushrooms with 99% weight retentions.

They have also been accurate in all my rifles. I am shooting nothing else now for hunting.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmanssheil, Mike!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats dancinggreat story and pics thanks for sharing

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Mike. Nice bear. Congrats

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I had a couple of those AD's with a bolt rifle when I used to palm the bolt instead of grabbing it. When I closed the bolt, my little finger hit the trigger, and it only happened when working the bolt fast while hunting. I went back to grabbing the bolt handle.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Jstevens,

You know I have no idea whether I palmed it or gripped it...but I suspect I palmed it cause its a little more natural to do it that way.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
btt...bullet photo added

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, very well done. A beautiful bear and great story and pics. Thanks for sharing. I leave in about five months and can't wait to see the country and a bear or two.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike - He is beautiful. That is my dream hunt. I am looking at outfitters for 2009 now. Was that with John Peterson's outfit? He is the top of my list right now...any info would be appreciated...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Tim,

That was with Bill Peterson...I think Bill is going to retire after 2008.

Feel free to email me...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

Thanks for sharing

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote