Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Big Game Hunting Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I know these questions may be elementary but I'd rather ask then get it wrong.

I've hunted Colorado twice but always as a non-resident; therefore, never really caring about the yearly bag limits. However, now that I'm a resident the yearly bag limits are now important.

So, now for the questions.

1. What are the combined yearly bag limits for deer and elk? I wasn't able to apply for the limited draw tags but I'm hoping to pick up a leftover cow or doe tag for couple of the various hunting methods/seasons.

2. If I get a leftover cow elk tag, can I also carry a bull tag for the same season?

Like I said just a newbie trying to find some answers. I looked at the DOW website last night but that thing is like reading Hebrew!

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, can you explain why you believe yearly bag limits can be ignored by non-residents? That statement tells me you really need to read and understand the regulations. Second, there is no "combined limit" for deer and elk; they are treated separately. Third, you really need to get a Colorado Big Game regulations brochure and read it thoroughly. If the regs. look like Hebrew, read them again. You need to understand them on your own--if someone gives you an answer here and it's incorrect, you're the one who gets a citation and it's your responsibility to know the regs. Beginner or not, it doesn't matter.

The regulations brochure has lists of licenses you can have in one season called "A" "B" and "C" licenses. Start there.

"No one but he who has partaken thereof can understand the keen delight of hunting in lonely lands."

Posts: 59 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
COphil,
I'm sure what he is saying is that as an out of state hunter you are normally hunting just one animal. Here in TX, I can shoot up to 5 deer in some counties. But, an out of stater who has a guided hunt would normally only take just one deer.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
COphil,
I'm sure what he is saying is that as an out of state hunter you are normally hunting just one animal. Here in TX, I can shoot up to 5 deer in some counties. But, an out of stater who has a guided hunt would normally only take just one deer.

The only difference in a resident and non-resident Texas license to hunt deer is the price. The number and sex that can be taken depend on the county of the hunt. Since virtually all hunting is on private land via trespass fee, both resident and non-resident hunters may be restricted to what the landowner allows and may or may not be allowed to shoot the full number of deer the license allows.

I think graybird is asking about taking more than one species of big game during the various combined and non-combined seasons. COphil states the obvious -- get a Colorado big game guide (may be downloaded from their website) and study the hunts you wish to make. To my knowledge, the same hunts that are limited for non-residents are also limited for residents (draw hunts) and the same "unlimited" hunts are available to all (OTC licenses).

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...pick up the land line, and call: (303)297-1192. Ask a "live" person for the info you're requesting.

I've lived in Co for thirty years, and occasionaly call for answers.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
COphil,

My guess would be that you are probably 99% correct on that.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by COphil:
First, can you explain why you believe yearly bag limits can be ignored by non-residents? That statement tells me you really need to read and understand the regulations. Second, there is no "combined limit" for deer and elk; they are treated separately. Third, you really need to get a Colorado Big Game regulations brochure and read it thoroughly. If the regs. look like Hebrew, read them again. You need to understand them on your own--if someone gives you an answer here and it's incorrect, you're the one who gets a citation and it's your responsibility to know the regs. Beginner or not, it doesn't matter.

The regulations brochure has lists of licenses you can have in one season called "A" "B" and "C" licenses. Start there.

Cophil about your first sentence this post. I am sure it doesn't take a genius to understand what he meant.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
quote:

Cophil about your first sentence this post. I am sure it doesn't take a genius to understand what he meant.

Thanks Jarrod for taking the words right out of my mouth. I typed up a response earlier this morning but I deleted it because of the old saying 'if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all'. Besides, I was taught not to be rude and treat everyone with respect.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well graybird, I apologize for mis-reading your post.

And Jarrod, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that when someone says they "never really cared about yearly bag limits" it's subject to mis-interpretation and could have been worded a little better, although I will admit that I should have taken a second look before assuming the worst. I had no reason to do that and I do apologize to graybird.

One thing I won't apologize for though, and that is the suggestion to get the brochure and read it thoroughly, it's every hunter's responsibility to know the regs. CO has a lot of regulations and it's easy to miss one or two without studying the guide. I wouldn't depend on someone's internet advice on something like this.

And graybird, I don't know if you made the call yet, but I looked at the brochure and to me it appears that you can have both an OTC bull tag and a leftover cow tag. But I could be wrong about that so don't take my word for it.

"No one but he who has partaken thereof can understand the keen delight of hunting in lonely lands."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two elk licenses one bull one cow, no more than one deer license in any year.

There are some exemptions for private land only tags.

And do read the regs for yourself. That way you know for sure.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Colorado!

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
surestrike,
I use to hunt out near Kiowa,Castle Rock area...some big muleys out in your neck of the woods!! Big Grin

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well graybird, I apologize for mis-reading your post.

And Jarrod, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that when someone says they "never really cared about yearly bag limits" it's subject to mis-interpretation and could have been worded a little better, although I will admit that I should have taken a second look before assuming the worst. I had no reason to do that and I do apologize to graybird.

Apology accepted no hard feelings!!

quote:

One thing I won't apologize for though, and that is the suggestion to get the brochure and read it thoroughly, it's every hunter's responsibility to know the regs. CO has a lot of regulations and it's easy to miss one or two without studying the guide. I wouldn't depend on someone's internet advice on something like this.

And graybird, I don't know if you made the call yet, but I looked at the brochure and to me it appears that you can have both an OTC bull tag and a leftover cow tag. But I could be wrong about that so don't take my word for it.

I couldn't agree with you more. I got online the other night and pulled up a 200 and something page document, which was painful in trying to determine where the answers were to my questions, which is the reason for my posting. I'll take your advice and get a hard copy for reading.

Thanks,

Graybird

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Two elk licenses one bull one cow, no more than one deer license in any year.

So, does this mean a filled license or license regardless of being filled?

Thanks for the welcome!

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
graybird, it's regardless of whether it's filled or not. One bull and one cow is basically right but you can also get one either sex tag and one cow tag too. You can't get two bull tags though. You might want to check the individual GMUs you want to hunt, some have either sex rifle tags, that would solve your problem. OTC archery tags are either sex too.

posted Hide Post
Graybird,
Not all units allow two elk tags. You should check out page 5 on the online PDF brochure for elk. The chart list what qualifies as a list 'A' license, a list 'B' license and a list 'C' license. If you still don't understand everything after taking a look at that chart, then I would suggest calling the DOW.

Jerry

DOW Online big game brochure(PDF)

Posts: 6 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: 26 February 2007Reply With Quote