New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney Triggers...
 Login/Join

<David Boren>
posted
Anyone with experience please tell me what you think of these triggers. I am SERIOUSLY considering a Timney for a replacement trigger to replace that god-aweful factory remington ADL trigger. I used a scale-thingy to measure the trigger pull of my factory trigger, and it was almost 8 pounds!!! I was sad. I dont want that. I want a 2.5 lb trigger pull. And, well, I was just wanting to know how the Timney worked before I spent 83 bucks (75 for the trigger and about 8 for S&H). Any reponses will be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Boren:
Anyone with experience please tell me what you think of these triggers. I am SERIOUSLY considering a Timney for a replacement trigger to replace that god-aweful factory remington ADL trigger. I used a scale-thingy to measure the trigger pull of my factory trigger, and it was almost 8 pounds!!! I was sad. I dont want that. I want a 2.5 lb trigger pull. And, well, I was just wanting to know how the Timney worked before I spent 83 bucks (75 for the trigger and about 8 for S&H). Any reponses will be appreciated.

You can easily adjust a remington trigger down from 8 lbs. Some will go to 2.5 lbs. but you should be able to get to 3 lbs. with no problems. Here's two links:

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/crisp.html

http://www.snipercountry.com/RemingtonTriggers.htm

Just be sure you thoroughly test it when you're done adjusting it.

I used the above instructions and it worked quite well. However, after shooting it for a while I decided I wanted a lighter trigger and removed a screw completely before cross threading it. I bought a Jewell trigger and have never regretted it. Very expensive but you'll never look back.

Sorry, I've never tried a Timney so I can't say anything good or bad about it.

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
David,
Welcome to the forum! I had a Rem 700 with a 9 lb pull many years ago...had it adjusted to 2.5# by the local gunsmith and it worked beautifully as long as I didn't wear a glove on my right hand! I have a Mauser 98 416 Taylor with a Timney adjusted to 2.5 lbs and I honestly can't tell any difference between that and the Rem. trigger---but it has been aver 20 years ago that I had the Rem...not too good a comparison! You will likely be happy with either although the adjustment to the factory trigger will be less $.
Good Hunting!

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
I asked my gunsmith the same question a few years ago and he told me that unless you buy a Jewel trigger for your Rem, you can't beat a properly adjusted Rem factory trigger. After he adjusted mine for me (on 3 M700s), I have to agree. He was able to get down to 2 lbs on my varmint rigs and he adjusted my other hunting rifles to 3 lbs. Very crisp, no excessive take-up or over-travel on any of them. In order to get it down to 2 lbs, he replaces the return spring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Read Rifle Basic problems in gunsmithing,I am still annoyed.

[ 06-17-2002, 08:47: Message edited by: downwindtracker2 ]

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timney makes a fine trigger for a hunting rifle. I use a few of them myself, with no complaints.

Try the above links, and see what you can do with your factory trigger. I agree, they can be made to be excellent triggers. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything except a little time.

You can always get the Timney if you're still unhappy after working on your factory trigger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David:
[QB]I asked my gunsmith the same question a few years ago and he told me that unless you buy a Jewel trigger for your Rem, you can't beat a properly adjusted Rem factory trigger.

True. Adjust it, have it adjusted, or buy a Jewell. Could'nt agree more with your smith.

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
I have a Timney,a Shilen and 3 with the factory Rem. trigger.Unless I pick up my varmint rifle with the Jewel I honestly cant tell the difference.
I bought the Timney first then the Shilen trying to beat the Rem.The shilen is a little easier to adjust than the factory but after you get them set I bet there aint over 4 ounces difference in them.
The Jewel will break anywhere you want it up to about 3 1/2 lbs.

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I have a Timney trigger on my 22-250 it is set at 2 oz. I think Timney are one of best you can buy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 remington 700s, 2 with very well adjusted factory triggers and 1 with a timney trigger
which I had installed after suffering some damage to the factory trigger. I must admit that
I prefer the properly adjusted factory trigger to the timney. My suggestion is to find a good
gunsmith or learn to correctly adjust the remington trigger and pocket the change

Posts: 32 | Location: georgia usa | Registered: 01 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Canjar and Blackburn make the best triggers in the world, no I don't think that, I know that.....Jewell has a good rep with the target shooters and benchresters...Timneys are a good hunting trigger on big game rifles I suppose but they look pretty crude to me and don't fit back in the trigger guard like a Blackburn....

I do not trust Rem. triggers or saftys, just to much smoke and fire on that one and I know they have settled out of court for millions and millions and are under constant litagation for accidental discharges with safties engaged.

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote