New
Find
Notify
Tools

130 gr TSX w/ 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking about trying a new load and bullet for the 06.
This will be used on whitetails, here in eastern PA.
Range of shot would be 20 to 80 yds.
Would like to try the 130 gr TSX & IMR4895.
My question would be, is the 06 going to drive this bullet too fast, w/ 21" barrel & 1:10 twist, at these ranges I mentioned.
Anyone here also use the TSX for whitetails?

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
sounds good to me should be no problem. I think you should go light for cal with the tsx. too fast is not a problem with the tsx. that combo should be death on whitetails

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Why do you need a light fast bullet for 80 yd shot?

Are you trying to manage recoil?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
you'll be just fine.

Load it up to the very max and let accuracy stay in second place with shot distance like that. Wouldn't matter if your best group was 3" at 100.

Perfect combo.

I have a few years of experience with TSX bullets and have no regrets.

It's up to you but I always aim for the shoulder and it is what I recommend when possible.

Good luck, post target pics when you load up.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I planned on using that combo this fall but I tried the 150 gr TSX and decided on it instead. It was unbelievably accurate. It was not 3k like you might reach with the 130's but taking a 100 yard shot you really don't need all that velocity. I took 4 deer with it this fall. I was very impressed with it's performance. I did not have to trail them very far. I try to hit bone on the way in like Doc said. It works for me. Good hunting. "D"

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll be just fine but why shoot a 130g .308 bullet for a maximum 80 yard shot when you can shoot a 180g?

In the end, knock yourself out. The deer won't ever know the difference. It's all good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am trying to manage recoil somewhat.
Sure don't need a 180 grainer either.
Maybe I might try the 150's first.
D Hunter, What is your appox. vel. with the 150's?

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can get 130's to shoot, no reason to use a 150, only benefit would be added penetration for large game, 130's would be death to deer, out to 200 yards at least.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck I loaded up to something above 2900 during load development. However, my rifle has a real sweet spot at about 2870 that is very accurate even with my half centennial eyes. It inspires confidence it shoots so well. I did not figure that the deer could tell the difference between 70-100 fps loads. I think the drop difference at out to 300 yards will be insignificant also. Recoil is very light but I do shoot a 416 Rigby a bit so I may not be the one to ask in that department. Let me know about what velocity you get with the 130 gr loads. By the way H 4350 was the powder I used. Good hunting. "D"

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question begs to be asked: other than to use something different, what did the bullet do that a 130gr C&C wouldn't/couldn't do? Confused
Also, since you were the one reloading, how could you drive the bullet too fast?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
stillbeeman,
I have not loaded this yet.
Hell, I don't have any TSX bullets yet, thats why I am asking these questions.
And yes, I want to try something different. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most 180gr bullets aren't designed to expand on deer sized targets.

Using "elk" bullets on Deer is sometimes a receipe for trouble.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always considered the .30-06 to be overkill on eastern deer. Simply more power and recoil than is needed,especially considering under 100 yd shots.

IF recoil is a problem why not look at a .257 Roberts ,.260 Rem or 7mm-08?? I'd bet that a few shots from either of the three and that 06 would be gathering dust.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FN I guess you are right about the '06 being more gun than is necessary to kill deer. However it is definitely the most common gun carried in the eastern woods. The 270 is a close second. I have personally hunted our little white tails with a 375 H&H for several years. It works quite nicely. They don't run far usually. I did this to start with because I had an Africa trip in the works and wanted to get familiar with the gun. Later I just liked hunting with it. It all boils down to what is it that blows your hair back. The nice thing about the 30-06 for the handloader is that you can use it with lots of different bullets from 110 gr to 250's. You can cover a lot of ground with one rifle. Of course, what is the fun of only one. Good hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
Yes the 06 is a bit much. So then why are so many questioning the guy using a 130 that penetrates as much as a standard 150 or 165? I think loading the 130 TSX or TTSX to 2700 or above would make a great deer or hog load with good trajectory thats easy on the shoulder. Isn't tailoring the load what reloading is all about?

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I'm voting with D Hunter on this one. I put quite a bit of time into working out a solution with TSX-130s that gave me 3100 or better. I found 51.5 of Varget gave me <1" at ~2950. The only reason I didn't use it was that I had just a little better accuracy out of the same load and Speer 150 FBs. If you're looking for reduced recoil Varget, those 130s will do the trick. I would also be looking seriously at the Tipped TSXs. They have a different enough configuration that I would not expect them to use the same load though

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not fond of hi velocity rounds for deer, they just blood shoot too much animal IMO..I like deer meat so I still use the 180 gr. round nose Corelokt for stand hunting whitetail where the shots are close..The 180 Nosler works well under all conditions and on about anything.

This year I used my 6x45 with a 75 gr. Barnes X and as usual it performed quite well. I also killed a big hog with my 25-35 and it works on hogs or deer about as well as anything at the ranges you suggest. At those ranges about anything would work.

Bullet placement and bullet construction is more important than caliber.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
130 TSX? well, I didn't know about this one... sounds like an EXCELLENT choice, and even better for a 308..

run em 2800 fps, and you have something low recoil and probably very accurate

hmm, 130gr tsx??

sounds cool

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For eastern whitetails use the cheapest bullet that is designed for the job!
I can't see using a premium bullet for 20-80 yds. for a MAYBE 150 # Whitetail!
If you want to hold down on the recoil and you handload----go with a 125 gr. 30 cal Sierra loaded to about 2500 FPS or the Speer 130 gr. Flat nose at 2500fps.
A little heavier use the 150 gr. Rem. or Hornady 30-30 bullet loaded UP to 2500 fps, this is Francis Sell's idea------use a bullet that is used mainly in a lesser velocityed caliber and load it UP a couple hundred FPS !

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote