New
Find
Notify
Tools

World record elk?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just caught a short (15 seconds, tops)blurb on the news about a supposed new world record elk shot in Colorado. Anyone have any info on this? Other than the obvious point that Leeper would probably have blown the hunt.
Was this a free ranging elk? Guided hunt or not? Public land or private? Green score? Inquiring minds want to know. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3573 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it was this year's kill, it would be a green score only right now, unless there is a season in July somewhere. [Wink]

Regardless, if there is a potential new world record taken out there, I'd be curious as to the details. Where in Colorado? And how about some pictures?!? [Smile]

Anybody?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Other than the obvious point that Leeper would probably have blown the hunt.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Taken from 24hourcampire, posted by Mixer:

quote:
This archery season in AZ ,There was a bull elk taken that might be a new world record[typical,archery]it was a 10x12 it green scored 456 it wieghed 1000 lbs.it was taken out of area 8 south of williams,AZ. just thought i'd let every one know about it,as soon as i find a pic i'll try to post
 -

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=196664&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JL,

Heck of a bull! Nice stuff running around northern and central Arizona these days. Last year, I saw a herd of 15 bulls (half of them 6x6 or better with one 8x7) within a mile of my house. Now, drawing a tag . . . that is the bigger challenge I think up here.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Question I got is

How the hell did they get that S.O.B in the back of the pick-up?

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
BTW, I just want to say that ain't me [Smile]

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
That's got to be the smallest 1000lb elk I've ever seen... Whole in the back of a truck, if that thing weighed 1000lbs it would take 8 guys to get it in there...

Ivan

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally, a "come a long" will winch em in there bigger than that pretty easy.

If that were a good size moose, and it looks smaller, though maybe from the angle, I'd say it's better than 600#, but with the big daggers on its head it's gotta be over 1000 lbs! [Big Grin] Nice bull!!

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukoner,

I just guess those of us in Arizona are tougher than you folks in Whitehorse. [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
[Big Grin] Yes, I guess so.

It is strange, to me, to see a field dressed animal in the back of a pick-up.(with it's head on to boot)
It seems that everytime you kill something here in the Yukon, and it doesn't matter what it is, you got atleast a long days work ahead of you to get the thing back to camp. Well except that time I shot that bear right under the "Welcome to the town of--------" sign. [Wink]

That is an 8 foot box on that Ford pick-up. Not a chance that that elk weighs a thousand pounds. But then who give a rat's ass.

It is one hell of a nice bull.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree Yukoner, maybe 800 pounds, at most.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell the weight from the picture.......I once hauled a dead 1600 lb bull (beef not elk ..... [Big Grin] )out of my pasture in the back of a Chevy , and he fit easy , guts and all ......

[ 09-30-2003, 16:26: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a bit of inside scoop on this bull down at the bar last night where a regular knows the hunter. Turns out the hunter's buddy had been video-taping in the area the previous days for his son who had a bull tag but was in school. At a waterhole, he had seen a whole bunch of bulls (but not this one) wallowing and generally tearing things up. He went home and told the hunter about the area and suggested that he check it out. Well, that he did and the RUMOR around town is that Franklin has been offered $1million for the rack and turned it down. So much for Unit 8 being a sleeper unit. It really makes you wonder how many more like this are out there when you see a 7x7 and 8x7 right off the freeway just S. of town now and again. God I love Arizona!

JohnTheGreek

one of us
posted Hide Post
World record P&Y elk is currently a bull from MT. My prediction is if that record is broken, it will be from another bull killed in MT. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen alot of good bulls and this is a very good bull but he sure don't look like a 400+ bull to me. It could be a bad angle or bad light but it still don't look THAT big. It might be 400+ gross but I don't think it will net over 400.

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Offer me a million bucks for most anything and you've got a deal.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MTElk,

I have not seen the bull (apparently it is stashed somewhere in Williams, AZ for the time being) but, according to ESPN, "The bull . . . was green-scored by Safari Club International measurer and elk hunting guide John McClendon. After the numbers were added together, the huge elk was given a green non-typical gross score of 453 0/8 inches and a net non-typical score of 439 6/8 inches." This, of course, outshines the current WR P&Y non-typical by about 19" total. Nothings gonna shrink that much. It doesn't even approach the B&C WR but that BC bull was a pick-up. If anyone has a book handy, I'd be interested to know the score of the largest non-typical "hunted" elk in B&C and how this one compares.

Beemanbeme,

I agree with you! If it were me, I would have made a phone call to Dick Cabela too see if he would beat the $1m offer (assuming it wasn't him that made it in the first place) and that bull would have been GONE to the highest bidder! I can do a LOT of hunting around the world on $1m!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Alan Hamberlin a few years back for desert sheep and if I am not mistaken he has the largest elk ever killed by a hunter. It was close to 482" gross killed on White Mountain. I will do a search and try to get the exact score. I think it nets 451" non typical.
Drummond

[ 10-03-2003, 02:30: Message edited by: huntsonora ]

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
That a fine picture of an old elk from Montana all right. but that not the "new one".

by the way, that guy in the pickup is 6 foot 8 adn weighs 265 pounds. just makes the elk look smaller. and those that say a bull elk that stretches with his ass against the cab to his nose past the 8 foot mark onto the tailgate looks small, have obviously never packed one out in pieces. i have seen two average bulls SXS in a pickup box. But one thing is clear: there is total confusion about 1000 pounds gutted weight, 1000 pounds hanging, 1000 pounds live weight, and 1000 pounds dressed. But there is nothing confusting about onething: Once you get it dead and on the ground, there is no such thing as a small bull.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 10-05-2003, 01:29: Message edited by: Yukoner ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

Good to hear you are so tough!! ;-)

It'll come in handy when you have to put those bison quarters on the back of the trailer!

Since I'm a little whimp of a guy, I'm happy to leave the floor to the tough'uns! ;-)

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
<SkiBumplus3>
posted
I just received a picture of a bull taken in central Washington last week. I hear it green scores 415 net. I might have been a new P&Y record for about a day!
Chuck Adams bull doesn't have a chance.

Ski+3

one of us
posted Hide Post
current B&C world records on all elk ssp.

B&C World Records on Elk

I'll have to wait until I get home to look up the largest hunter-killed nontypical elk.

Troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Frans,

Bison quarters and backstraps aren't too bad to move. . . it's the head and hide that are tough to handle. I'm up for it if you are! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Best,

JohnTheGreek

one of us
posted Hide Post
John
I would believe that score for a NON-typical elk. The post I was talking about said typical elk. There is a big difference how a typical and non-typical animal is scored. This bull has way to many deductions to score really high as a typical, but he will score good as a non-typical. I have seen 400+ typical bulls and they are REALLY impressive.

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
<SkiBumplus3>
posted
Guys. Boone and Crocket is for rifles. This thread is discussing bow kills. Pope and Young is the appropriate record book. Chuck Adams holds the current recort typical elk. It scores 409 and change.

Ski+3

one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Elk?
Read this.
World record? Again?

BTTS
T [Cool]

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
skibum,

B&C accepts entries for all methods of take, including archery.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

<JOHAN>
posted
JohnTheGreek

Amazin that Arizona has such fantastic animals. I was under the impression that one had to go noth to get one of these mosters.

I guess you soon will have bison in AZ too [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

<SkiBumplus3>
posted
JohntheGreek,

I know. Are you aware of any top critter in B&C harvested with a bow? I'm not. That's why Pope and Young was started IMO.

Ski+3

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

Northern Arizona is an amazing destination for Elk! In addition to mine, there is a free roaming herd of Bison around the south rim of the Grand Canyon known as the "House Rock" area. Chuck Adams took the P&Y record bison there a few years ago (not too big . . . scored around 118 I think).

SkiBum,

You're right, I don't know of any either but It would be interesting to find some of the top animals in B&C that happened to be harvested with a bow wouldn't it!

Best,

John