New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took a nice bear today
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son took a bear last week http://forums.accuratereloadin...3411043/m/1581032402

I took one this morning that dressed out at 285lbs.

I was out before day light checking some sand roads after a light rain looking for fresh tracks.

About 7am I found a decent track that wasn't on the road yesterday afternoon. I an area that we saw it before when my son was up.

My friends were already trying a bear off a bait but didn't get it going.

My friend came up to where I was while the others caught their dogs up one had ran a coon and treed it.

We dropped two of our best cold nose dogs out.

The best one is still recovering at the kennel from being beaten up badly by a bear.

After about a half of hour of cold trailing they jump him and the chase was on.

They were only about 300 yards from a rail road track and headed right for it. About that time I heard a train coming.

Over the years we have lost more then one dog to a train.

I radio my friend told him of the train we were both listening to the train and the dogs hopeing the train would get were the bear crossed before the dogs. We lucked out the bear crossed the tracks. The dog arrived just as the train was passing.

After the train passed both dogs took out on the bears trail and the chase was back on.

I could hear the dogs getting closer and closer one of the other guys just pulled p the road from me when the bear broke out across the road.

I could tell it was a very nice bear. We then dumped 4 more dogs on the trail and the two following came crossed.

After only about 5 minutes we heard the dogs barking treed.

The only problem was they had crossed into a 80 of private land out of the thousands public.

So one of the guys went to talk with the owner and get permission.

We secured permission and in we went.

When we arrived at the tree in a swampy area seems all the bears this wear end up in a swamp.

But only by about 20 yards this time.

I could tell right away it was a shooter.

After we got the dogs tied back and every body into the tree. I shot the bear right between the eyes and it fell very dead. A 220 gr 308 cal. at 2300fps at about 20 feet well do that.

With the land owners permission we were able to drive to about 100 yards from the bear. With 4 of us dragging and good clear hard woods.

It was a lot better then the ordeal getting my sons bear out.

If some one would like to post pics I could email them. PM me the email thks

Posts: 19376 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the successful hunt!! You must still be a little excited.. Triple post and all.

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les Staley:
Congrats on the successful hunt!! You must still be a little excited.. Triple post and all.

Great hunt fun run yea a bit excited

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post congratulations

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The young man who took them sent them to me from his phone I had to copy and paste them into a file. had problems with them also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One can see the big splash that he made hitting the water under the tree.

A very wet year here.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt and a great bear. Congrats! Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt!!Congrats

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! But I have to ask why you would shoot a bear between the eyes?

Posts: 2654 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Very nice! But I have to ask why you would shoot a bear between the eyes?

So he falls very dead and is no danger to the hounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always do everything I can to avoid the skull. It makes a great trophy!

Posts: 2654 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand I have 6 or 7 around. A high powered bullet breaks the skulls up badly.

Didn't much matter to me.

It was a meat hunt for me. The family and I really like eating bear.

I am giving the hide away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That makes perfect sense. It sounds like it was a great time! Again, well done!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote