Find
Notify
Tools

Ethics matter....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
It really is insightful into our current thinking in this country to read the above, shall we say negative opinions on the idea of a common Ethics.
This country was founded on the basis of a common Ethics model. Now we pursue each topic on the basis of "whatever is right in each man's eyes" and we have the predicable results; chaos.
We use the values enshrined in our founding documents to protect our "rights" to keep and bear arms when many of our neighbors also pursuing "what is right in each man's eyes" claim that we are calling, in their eyes, a privilege a "right."
Whatever your opinion on Canned hunting, prostitution, shooting at deer 500 yards away is, let your logic clearly tell you that we can't have it both ways. We either have rights based on a moral code or we don't.

A side note on prostitution; please understand that in this country anyway, there is very little "freedom of choice" in prostitution. Whether it is Human trafficking, AKA Slavery, addiction, hopelessness, or other social ills, prostitution never ends well. This is not a victim-less situation. It is not as simple as paying them to "leave" after sex. You are responsible for the pebble in the pond as it were. You may be OK with that but the Pebble is launched and it came from your hand.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Seems like only whiteys are held to high standard of ethics
“ Natives “ around the world use everything else that anyone else would be horrified to see
Prime example is Indian Reservations here in Montana - seasons? All year long
Preferred way to hunt? Shooting at anything from pickup bed while drunk

And No, I’m not kidding as it is sad and awful regular practice

If it is legal, what's the problem? We need to stand with them and be united. Don't be so judgmental.

shame

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:

It really is insightful into our current thinking in this country to read the above, shall we say negative opinions on the idea of a common Ethics.
This country was founded on the basis of a common Ethics model. Now we pursue each topic on the basis of "whatever is right in each man's eyes" and we have the predicable results; chaos.
We use the values enshrined in our founding documents to protect our "rights" to keep and bear arms when many of our neighbors also pursuing "what is right in each man's eyes" claim that we are calling, in their eyes, a privilege a "right."
Whatever your opinion on Canned hunting, prostitution, shooting at deer 500 yards away is, let your logic clearly tell you that we can't have it both ways. We either have rights based on a moral code or we don't.

. . . what a novel thought. Well said. tu2

Mike

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Just as an aside to kinda break the mood, I've lived in VA, TN, Ok, WVA most of my life. And there were coon hunters in all of these places. Other than on a Jerry Clower comedy record, I have never heard of anyone stupid enough to climb into a tree with a coon.

Sir,
Not being argumentative but just rectifying the truth here.

The above IS done all the time. When I was age 10-21...it was my job if hunting with my uncles, Dad, and Grandpa.

I have climbed 100’s of trees with live coons in them.

Same here. I still climb after coon once in a while. Been doing it 40+ years

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Around here, one will rarely see a mature buck around a feeder. They "scent" the feeder and move on if a doe is not around. We hunt away from the feeders especially later in the season.

BINGO!!!!! Someone with some ACTUAL experience got it correct!!!!!!

Yes, on the High Fence operations such as the Sanctuary, the "Big Bucks" do come to feeders, they do not have a choice.

Even though properties here in Texas are fenced, the vast majority of the fences are 5 wire barb wire that the deer either jump or go under as the mood suits them and YES, Virginia a buck with a good rack can/will and does crawl under such fences if they decide to!

The really good/big bucks normally stay back in the brush and if there isn't a doe in heat at the feeder or if there are other bucks at the feeder they won't come in.

Over the years the majority of our game cam pictures with really good bucks in the pictures were 80 to 90% taken after dark.

So many folks, especially those that have never beenm involved in an activity such as the way deer are hunted here in Texas really don't understand that unless a person is like me, just interested in shooting a doe for meat, with our 13 inch inside the main beam antler restrictions and even with the number of deer here in Texas, a person can end the season never having seen a legal buck.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was age 10-21...it was my job if hunting with my uncles, Dad, and Grandpa.

And that was why they lived to be Uncles/Dads and GrandPa's, "Let The Kid Do It", he's young and will heal!!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
On the subject of times feeders, sure they bring deer to the feeders. Mostly does and young bucks. It does get them to travel to the area.

Around here, one will rarely see a mature buck around a feeder. They "scent" the feeder and move on if a doe is not around. We hunt away from the feeders especially later in the season.

I'm not a big feeder hunter, but very occasionally do for whitetails. I have been around it alot though over the years. I believe Larry's comment, as is CHC's above to be absolutely correct. Also IME, deer will eat every native, available browse before they ever think about coming to a feeder, and feeder's usually only get "active" after a hard freeze where available native food has been diminished. It's not like you go to a blind, wait for the feeder, then pick one out.....seldom happens like that IME.

The other side to the argument is that it is a very effective way to manage your land. Let's face it, in many areas of TX there is an overpopulation of game animals. Hunting over feeders is very effective at diminishing those numbers, and getting your land back in line with the carrying capacity.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
On the subject of times feeders, sure they bring deer to the feeders. Mostly does and young bucks. It does get them to travel to the area.

I'm not a big feeder hunter, but very occasionally do for whitetails. I have been around it alot though over the years. I believe Larry's comment, as is CHC's above to be absolutely correct. Also IME, deer will eat every native, available browse before they ever think about coming to a feeder, and feeder's usually only get "active" after a hard freeze where available native food has been diminished. It's not like you go to a blind, wait for the feeder, then pick one out.....seldom happens like that IME.

The other side to the argument is that it is a very effective way to manage your land. Let's face it, in many areas of TX there is an overpopulation of game animals. Hunting over feeders is very effective at diminishing those numbers, and getting your land back in line with the carrying capacity.

Around here, when the acorns are falling, NOTHING touches the feeders. Total waste of time.

I find a good tree that is dropping like crazy and hunt it. They WILL come.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
My personal definition of ethical hunting is that it is a practice widely accepted by the majority of hunters in a region.

Although I may disagree with something that is legal and locally "ethical," I can choose to participate or not.

Thank You Sir!

That is the answer I have been looking for. Ethics are NOT a group concept! They vary by region/state/country!

NONE of us are FORCED to do something We Do Not Want To Do!!!!!

I have never gave a thought or had any inclination to avail myself of the services of a Prostitute, but if that is what some one wants to do, It Is None Of MY Business.

One of the topics going on right now in the African Hunting topic area concerns how far from thre blind a Leopard bait should be placed.

I believe that it was Tony Mandile that asked, Why is baiting one species, in this case a Leopard, perfectly A-OK yet baiting a White tail deer isn't.

Why is one species more important than another? Why is it unethical to shoot a deer at a bait, but perfectly acceptable to shoot a Leopard at a bait????

Excellent question - deer being habituated to coming to a feeder at a set time in an enclosed pasture where the deer has limited options for food is one thing. A leopard coming to a bait is hit or miss. There is no habituating the leopard over time in a limited/enclosed pasture and a leopard more often than not does not come. the cat is not constrained to come.

For me, it is ethical to hunt leopards this way.

Is one species more important than another? Yes and no. That is another subject. In the eyes of a hunter, every game animal should be equal in how we hunt them.

Ross,
I would like to clarify something.

In open low-fenced country. Thousands of acres around. Hundreds of acres per pasture. Deer go freely where ever they wish.

A hunter chooses to have 5-10 comfy enclosed blinds around...each over looking a timed corn feeder with each having a game camera monitoring them.

In your opinion...should this practice be banned?

Lane,
Interesting question. Where the rub is for me is the timed feeder and "programming" of the deer. I was on a hunt on the King Ranch recently where the range was full open. The feeder was timed and there were live cameras. I was spotted at a blind and told to not shoot old Fish Hook. Old Fish Hook was an old buck that never ventured 200 yards from the feeder and was about 8 years old. He was there for pictures (big 10 point with odd fish hook shaped small points) and to be shot be the CEO of a very big company that was flying in later for a one day deer "hunt".

I did not shoot anything as the deer were coming and standing around just before the feeder went off. When it started scattering corn, more deer showed up along with hogs. I shot a couple of hogs at the request of my host. I got out of the blind to retrieve the hogs and the deer moved off about 30 yards looking at me. When I drug the hogs to the bling, the deer were back cleaning up the corn.

On the surface, this looks like a perfectly run and managed deer shooting/hunting operation. To me, the deer could have gone a lot of places to eat as there was plenty of grass and other food. They chose to come to the feeder and were conditioned to do so. The cameras were fun to watch when we were not at the blind, but reinforced the "shopping cart" nature of this hunt.

I left a little disappointed in the entire process and won't do it again.

I did not answer your question directly but would suggest that hunters do not participate in this even is legal. I struggle with what is too big or too small for a high fence operation. I believe that a high fence project can be a good thing - protect some species that are being raised to translocate or for a reason other than just shooting a 200" whitetail. I get it the economic part of this - deer need to pay for themselves in order to get protection and status. I think there must be a better way however than training them to come to the dinner bell and shooting them.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
quote:
My personal definition of ethical hunting is that it is a practice widely accepted by the majority of hunters in a region.

Although I may disagree with something that is legal and locally "ethical," I can choose to participate or not.

Thank You Sir!

That is the answer I have been looking for. Ethics are NOT a group concept! They vary by region/state/country!

NONE of us are FORCED to do something We Do Not Want To Do!!!!!

I have never gave a thought or had any inclination to avail myself of the services of a Prostitute, but if that is what some one wants to do, It Is None Of MY Business.

One of the topics going on right now in the African Hunting topic area concerns how far from thre blind a Leopard bait should be placed.

I believe that it was Tony Mandile that asked, Why is baiting one species, in this case a Leopard, perfectly A-OK yet baiting a White tail deer isn't.

Why is one species more important than another? Why is it unethical to shoot a deer at a bait, but perfectly acceptable to shoot a Leopard at a bait????

Excellent question - deer being habituated to coming to a feeder at a set time in an enclosed pasture where the deer has limited options for food is one thing. A leopard coming to a bait is hit or miss. There is no habituating the leopard over time in a limited/enclosed pasture and a leopard more often than not does not come. the cat is not constrained to come.

For me, it is ethical to hunt leopards this way.

Is one species more important than another? Yes and no. That is another subject. In the eyes of a hunter, every game animal should be equal in how we hunt them.

Ross,
I would like to clarify something.

In open low-fenced country. Thousands of acres around. Hundreds of acres per pasture. Deer go freely where ever they wish.

A hunter chooses to have 5-10 comfy enclosed blinds around...each over looking a timed corn feeder with each having a game camera monitoring them.

In your opinion...should this practice be banned?

And by the same token.....should you be able to pay a guide to do your scouting, haul your gear and lead you around to the likely areas?????? Or should you be able to pay someone to pack out your kill or fly you in to a remote area, I mean if you want to hunt way back where the big ones are, shouldn't you have to hump your way in?

The subject of stalking verses shooting, what are the parameters?

This is a slippery slope men, it needs to be handled very carefully.

JTEX,
I agree with you. This is where ethics come in. I am NOT talking legal, but ethical. What is wrong with the B&C standard? I cannot see a problem with it. Where the issue is per your comments - a guide is just that, someone to take you to a place you are not familiar with, teach you the "lay of the land", assist you in your hunt. What is the appropriate level of "assisting" ? Well, I know what it is not for sure. What I prefer is to be partners, carry my own load, do my part of the work in locating and packing and then, if well done - the shooting.

Ethics help define when we are on the slippery slope.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
“ Natives “ around the world use everything else that anyone else would be horrified to see

Milan,
I agree with you based on what I have seen.
You were brought up in the European culture of hunting however. How does that experience translate to what you see in the USA?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Maybe the emphasis on some of these practices should not be to ban the practice as I do believe the horses have left the barn on a lot of this, but to try to reset the culture that discourages some of these practices that are currently legal but not palatable.

The problem with timed feeders (from my point of view)is that the native browse (unless there is something like a good acron crop) will not be able to prevent the deer from coming to the kill spot.

That is 100% not true. In reality...not that many truly big deer get killed at feeders. Does and fawns, yearling and some 2 yr bucks, and pigs come mostly. This is true even on poor mast years.

The deer becomes habituated to forgo native browse

Not true.

and hit the feeder at prescribed times. I love it when there is a good acron crop going. I have seen folks who hunt over timed feeders now legal in KY on private land get very upset with a good acron crop. The deer go to where the best food is. In addition, I have had non hunters tell me many times they do not mind hunting, but it is wrong to bait.

I have been hunting all over the world and engaging in politics of hunting my entire life and I have never been told that from a non-hunter. Just saying my experience is different.

Add that need to come to the corn with a sealed blind and sent killing gadget preventing the deer from smelling you and the deer does not have a chance to elude a hunter. It is the bait that looses them. Not hating anyone or attacking anyone. I am simply explaining my objection to the practice.

For examples, maybe remove time feeders or set some stands that are not overlooking a timed feeder, but is covering a rub line, scrape line, or trails coming out of bedding areas.

We hunt many ways. But...your argument is making an assumption. That the hunter is going to shoot every legal deer that shows up. We do it for a variety of reasons. 1) It brings many forms of wildlife out for viewing. The kids enjoy that. They get bored just sitting and watching a sendero. We view talk about way more wildlife than we ever shoot. 2) In a warm blind, with wildlife in view, kids attention is grasped. It is a good place for them to learn and for elders to teach. It is also a good place to teach how to get a rifle on game and coach the beginners through the shot. I personally enjoy just sitting and viewing. We strategically locate feeders in places where deer are likely to travel as well. It is just a good experience to share with kids. Then graduate them up as they get experienced. Again, not likely to see the kind of deer I would even pull the trigger on at a corn feeder...except in the rut.

Or improve habitat so that you do not need timed feeders.

The habitat I hunt...is pretty hard to improve for deer.

I understand there maybe only so much that will grow in Texas thorn country or Georgia pine forest but I would like to see folks make that decision. Let it be okay if a deer does not get as big or heaven forbid a client understands he could go home with his tag in his pocket.

Maybe leave the space heater at camp.

When you are in your 70's...come back and comment on that one.

Hunt coons with dogs. I love to also. Maybe shoot coon out of the tree.

This shows you inexperience with training good hounds. For hounds to learn to stay on a tree...they need to think that coon might come out at any opportunity.

I would not want my dogs chewed on by a coon, and there is the disease risk.

I am a veterinarian...ableit an equine surgeon...I have had my own dogs my entire life. Never seen a coon hurt a dog bad in a fight...never. I have seen young inexperinced hounds get into the water with a coon and get drowned. And as long as your dog is properly vaccinated against rabies and dystemper...no "real" health risk.

Leave the Ozonics on the shelf, if we buy them they will make the, if we do not they want make them.

Our hunting media instead of focusing on high fence hunting and baiting (as someone said Ted Nuggets Spirt of the Timed Feeder) and idiotic behavior focus shows that teach why host is putting a stand in a certain spot, what is the density and age structure of deer hunted. If a bad shot is made show it and tells us why the shot went bad or why a shot was a good shot. Explaination of how to acess a certain piece of public land if the episode is a public land hunt.

Be responsible for what you kill on your property. For example our farm is 500acres, but we have roughly 9 residents does. There is no way I could justifiable kill a doe on this property regardless what the law says. But drive to Trigg County and a 100 acres may very well have 20 does on it

The one explanation for high fence I cannot stand which underscores the farming aspect of high fence on those operations who use this justification, “We do not use the fence to keep them in, but to others out.” Let the deer move and breed freely. It should not matter if a “lessor” deer breeds. If he can fight off other bucks and chase down a doe he deserves to breed.

What we have know is hunting shows promoting baiting deer, promoting canned lion hunting (with no hint to the uneducated viewer that the hunt is canned), promoting shooting game from vehicles. I watched a show last weekend. The host went out of his way to justify baiting. I thought the justification was weak, and guess what on day three the buck showed up to but his head under the feeder. So, ok do not ban timed feeders, but do not promote it either.

One thing I cannot accept is the pen raised, artificial/genetic insimulatiin of deer. Wildlife, the game we pursue are not race horses.

Maybe do not advocate the banning of pen raised, put and take shooting, but do not allow such operations on hunting media or to sell at the Shows.

I wil, give Crazyhorse camp this. Two verses come to my mind when I think on their position. 1) as for me and my house I will serve the Lord. 2) Work about our own salvation in fear in trembling.

As a God-fearing Christian...I have never felt any method of legal hunting was against God. I have been going back through the Old Testament this last couple of years...really studying the gist...I highly recommend it.

Why do I not identify with that camp. Because we regulate all activities.

I am Libertarian at heart. While what you say is true and we do...my goal in life is to keep Governmental regulation at its lowest common denominator. Hence, why I rail against "bans."

The law is destined to prevent a lowest common denominator. A just man needs no law, but most men need law. We are judged by our lowest actors who engage in hunting non hunting the public that is a fact. Finally and most importantly an animal we set out to kill requires and deserves that we do so with respect and humility.

In the Bible...that was often times taking a sharp knife, cutting its throat, and watching it die slowly as it bled out. Just saying...

I do not know how well this articulation has been. But, I tried.

In the end my friend...we agree on much more than we disagree with. Just pointing out a few different points of view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37890 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Interesting assessment Milan. I killed my first deer in 1970, at that time, even though it was only a smallish eight point, but it was a decent buck by the standards in effect at that time.

Then came the mid to late 1980's and Buckmaster and Texas Trophy Hunters Association turned a pleasant enjoyable family activity into a Highly Competitive "SPORT" where the size of the rack was the goal and the amount spent to get that rack just added to glory.

Americans as a group thrive on competition.

CHC,
Your last comment is interesting and true from my experience.
However, should we turn hunting or fishing into a competition?
I would say that the competition is internal and not hunter vs hunter for the biggest and best.
That is where I like B&C and Rowland and Ward - they focus on the animal and not on participation trophies. Better yet, the personal struggle in hunting is the best struggle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat......the King Ranch is not a fair, or normal example. It is much more like a zoo than a hunting ranch, this being said as I got to be the guest of a friend on a quail hunt down there. Helen Keller could kill a big buck there.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then came the mid to late 1980's and Buckmaster and Texas Trophy Hunters Association turned a pleasant enjoyable family activity into a Highly Competitive "SPORT" where the size of the rack was the goal and the amount spent to get that rack just added to glory.

Americans as a group thrive on competition.

I think CHC nailed it with this one. Some things aren't really meant to be a spectator sport. I believe Mr Garza down in Freer, at the Muy Grande Village, may have started the first deer contest down there too, the Muy Grande contest. Lot's of people crave recognition and will do anything to achieve it.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

If it is legal, what's the problem? We need to stand with them and be united. Don't be so judgmental.

shame

Actually Mike, I wasn’t just being judgmental as I was as more pointing to the fact of others ( anti hunters) being judgmental on only hand picked groups of hunters
But good point though

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Preferred way to hunt? Shooting at anything
from pickup bed while drunk

I have seen the exact same thing from the Indians in Colorado and Arizona

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Maybe the emphasis on some of these practices should not be to ban the practice as I do believe the horses have left the barn on a lot of this, but to try to reset the culture that discourages some of these practices that are currently legal but not palatable.

The problem with timed feeders (from my point of view)is that the native browse (unless there is something like a good acron crop) will not be able to prevent the deer from coming to the kill spot.

That is 100% not true. In reality...not that many truly big deer get killed at feeders. Does and fawns, yearling and some 2 yr bucks, and pigs come mostly. This is true even on poor mast years.

Not true.

and hit the feeder at prescribed times. I love it when there is a good acron crop going. I have seen folks who hunt over timed feeders now legal in KY on private land get very upset with a good acron crop. The deer go to where the best food is. In addition, I have had non hunters tell me many times they do not mind hunting, but it is wrong to bait.

I have been hunting all over the world and engaging in politics of hunting my entire life and I have never been told that from a non-hunter. Just saying my experience is different.

Add that need to come to the corn with a sealed blind and sent killing gadget preventing the deer from smelling you and the deer does not have a chance to elude a hunter. It is the bait that looses them. Not hating anyone or attacking anyone. I am simply explaining my objection to the practice.

For examples, maybe remove time feeders or set some stands that are not overlooking a timed feeder, but is covering a rub line, scrape line, or trails coming out of bedding areas.

We hunt many ways. But...your argument is making an assumption. That the hunter is going to shoot every legal deer that shows up. We do it for a variety of reasons. 1) It brings many forms of wildlife out for viewing. The kids enjoy that. They get bored just sitting and watching a sendero. We view talk about way more wildlife than we ever shoot. 2) In a warm blind, with wildlife in view, kids attention is grasped. It is a good place for them to learn and for elders to teach. It is also a good place to teach how to get a rifle on game and coach the beginners through the shot. I personally enjoy just sitting and viewing. We strategically locate feeders in places where deer are likely to travel as well. It is just a good experience to share with kids. Then graduate them up as they get experienced. Again, not likely to see the kind of deer I would even pull the trigger on at a corn feeder...except in the rut.

I understand there maybe only so much that will grow in Texas thorn country or Georgia pine forest but I would like to see folks make that decision. Let it be okay if a deer does not get as big or heaven forbid a client understands he could go home with his tag in his pocket.

This shows you inexperience with training good hounds. For hounds to learn to stay on a tree...they need to think that coon might come out at any opportunity.

I am a veterinarian...ableit an equine surgeon...I have had my own dogs my entire life. Never seen a coon hurt a dog bad in a fight...never. I have seen young inexperinced hounds get into the water with a coon and get drowned. And as long as your dog is properly vaccinated against rabies and dystemper...no "real" health risk.

Leave the Ozonics on the shelf, if we buy them they will make the, if we do not they want make them.

Our hunting media instead of focusing on high fence hunting and baiting (as someone said Ted Nuggets Spirt of the Timed Feeder) and idiotic behavior focus shows that teach why host is putting a stand in a certain spot, what is the density and age structure of deer hunted. If a bad shot is made show it and tells us why the shot went bad or why a shot was a good shot. Explaination of how to acess a certain piece of public land if the episode is a public land hunt.

Be responsible for what you kill on your property. For example our farm is 500acres, but we have roughly 9 residents does. There is no way I could justifiable kill a doe on this property regardless what the law says. But drive to Trigg County and a 100 acres may very well have 20 does on it

The one explanation for high fence I cannot stand which underscores the farming aspect of high fence on those operations who use this justification, “We do not use the fence to keep them in, but to others out.” Let the deer move and breed freely. It should not matter if a “lessor” deer breeds. If he can fight off other bucks and chase down a doe he deserves to breed.

What we have know is hunting shows promoting baiting deer, promoting canned lion hunting (with no hint to the uneducated viewer that the hunt is canned), promoting shooting game from vehicles. I watched a show last weekend. The host went out of his way to justify baiting. I thought the justification was weak, and guess what on day three the buck showed up to but his head under the feeder. So, ok do not ban timed feeders, but do not promote it either.

One thing I cannot accept is the pen raised, artificial/genetic insimulatiin of deer. Wildlife, the game we pursue are not race horses.

Maybe do not advocate the banning of pen raised, put and take shooting, but do not allow such operations on hunting media or to sell at the Shows.

I wil, give Crazyhorse camp this. Two verses come to my mind when I think on their position. 1) as for me and my house I will serve the Lord. 2) Work about our own salvation in fear in trembling.

As a God-fearing Christian...I have never felt any method of legal hunting was against God. I have been going back through the Old Testament this last couple of years...really studying the gist...I highly recommend it.

I am Libertarian at heart. While what you say is true and we do...my goal in life is to keep Governmental regulation at its lowest common denominator. Hence, why I rail against "bans."

The law is destined to prevent a lowest common denominator. A just man needs no law, but most men need law. We are judged by our lowest actors who engage in hunting non hunting the public that is a fact. Finally and most importantly an animal we set out to kill requires and deserves that we do so with respect and humility.

In the Bible...that was often times taking a sharp knife, cutting its throat, and watching it die slowly as it bled out. Just saying...

In the end my friend...we agree on much more than we disagree with. Just pointing out a few different points of view.

I was not saying that any particular hunting method was against God. I try not to be a Bible beater, but my world view is shaped by my understanding of scripture. So many things in this world I have to fall back on those two verses to live with humanity in this modern society. Things I do not approve of, but are legal ( maybe need to be legal I am speaking to issue larger than hunting) so, I fall back on those two versus.

I just wanted to make that clear. No way was I trying to show string scripture to say that a hunting method was right. I was shoe stringing those two versus to give my full insight on the personal choice aspect of Crazyhorse's position.

As for the space heater. I do not have any issue with more advantage or comfort extended to advanced age or needs assisted hunters. I know there are legitimate exceptions to everything.

I believe you when you say no non hunter has told you baiting is a line in the sand. I have been told that many times. All I can say is the truth others can judge if I am honest.

On Coons, I bow to your experience. I would also strongly agree hunting behind dogs will get you the sweat equity factor.

I admit not much can grow in Texas thorn country or Georgia pine country, but I simply do not think the practice of timed feeders is necessary to kill a deer on these properties. I can compromise on the issue, but I would like to see the promotion of timed feeders/bait for deer slip away. On small properties or baiting that brings in high concentration of deer to a specific spot I do think CWD is an issue.

My assumption on what gets shot at feeders is when a specific deer will be shot.

As far as the statement that deer pass up native browse. We are I have seen too many big deer kill d out from underneath the feeder on tv and neighboring farm. I will also say if the feeder is not helping kill 3,4,5 year old bucks why is it there.

I respect what you described as your time in the blind with your family. I think there is a place for this practice. Largely, based on your response. Would you permit me the articulation that this practice is too numerous or abused.

That is why I have spoken about s culture change. That hunters, outfitters, and property owners start pulling back from some of these things.

I want hunters when shopping for deer hunts in Texas or anywhere to say oh it is high fenced and how many acres o thank you and book elsewhere.

Posts: 12245 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
quote:
Preferred way to hunt? Shooting at anything
from pickup bed while drunk

I have seen the exact same thing from the Indians in Colorado and Arizona

Gentlemen, gentlemen, these are valued members of the fraternity of hunters. Unless you are aware that what they were doing was illegal, then please do not suggest or infer that there is anything inappropriate in their conduct. It is not our job to make ethical judgments about their conduct . . . if it is legal, then Godspeed to them in enjoying the sport in the manner they find most appropriate. Hopefully, since we stand with them the public will view us in the same positive light.

tu2

Mike

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Not legal, just ignored as in those societies, ethics have different values
And yes, we all gonna differ at times
My whole point at ethics/legal/illegal in hunting sphere is two same things can be - one pointed at as bad, the other ignored or looked at as OK and all depends on Who is looking

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This country was founded on the basis of a common Ethics model

This is really only true to a point. Each of the Founding Fathers had their own set of ethics. What they did was to find the common ground, where they could, and put those together. They left the rest silent at their current moment. For example, some of the Founding Fathers were slave owners and saw nothing unethical about it. It was left silent because they did not agree on it, or it was not important enough to address for another hundred years.

quote:
That is where I like B&C and Rowland and Ward - they focus on the animal and not on participation trophies

I would agree with this ONLY IF they would remove the names of the particular entrant. Barring that, the B&C book does nothing more than aggrandize the hunter and NOT the animal. I believe the B&C "books" are what started the problem with Trophy hunting for nothing but the trophy. The intent may have been very good, but the result is abysmal.

Some have commented about my post-modernistic blah blah blah. The point is that if you would like me to dictate to you what your ethics are, or will be from here on out, fine, I am happy to oblige, but that is not a situation I think any of us wants to be on the receiving end of. I will not attempt to force my ethics on you as long as the same courtesy is returned. It is great that we can have this discussion as civilly as we have.

For the timed feeders, I can tell from my experience only, that if the animals don't want to show they won't. At least not on a low fenced place. I am happy to say I have hunted with Randall (Crazyhorseconsulting) no less than four times and I have left there twice with nothing. The animals just didn't want to come in. I was perfectly happy with this, although Randall was highly upset that I didn't have an opportunity to kill something. He just really likes to see his clients kill something. To me, it was just a good time and I will tell you LORA CAN COOK!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not legal, just ignored as in those societies, ethics have different values
And yes, we all gonna differ at times
My whole point at ethics/legal/illegal in hunting sphere is two same things can be - one pointed at as bad, the other ignored or looked at as OK and all depends on Who is looking

. . . and my point is that in talking about who might be looking, you are judged by the company that you keep. When I hear things like, we all need to stand united, if it is legal that is good enough for me, keep your ethics to yourself, etc. that necessarily means that hunters generally are going to judged by the lowest common denominator in the group. Personally I do not prefer to be judged in the same category as drunk hunters driving around in a pickup bed shooting everything in sight, or a fellow hunting crocodile in a tank while holding a beer, or a host of other hunters behaving in irresponsible and unethical ways.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
dogcat......the King Ranch is not a fair, or normal example. It is much more like a zoo than a hunting ranch, this being said as I got to be the guest of a friend on a quail hunt down there. Helen Keller could kill a big buck there.

100% correct. The King Ranch is the exception rather than the rule. Nothing about how the deer act on the King Ranch resembles anything as to how they react at feeders on my ranches.

I have been on the King Ranch many many times.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37890 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not true.

I was not saying that any particular hunting method was against God. I try not to be a Bible beater, but my world view is shaped by my understanding of scripture. So many things in this world I have to fall back on those two verses to live with humanity in this modern society. Things I do not approve of, but are legal ( maybe need to be legal I am speaking to issue larger than hunting) so, I fall back on those two versus.

I just wanted to make that clear. No way was I trying to show string scripture to say that a hunting method was right. I was shoe stringing those two versus to give my full insight on the personal choice aspect of Crazyhorse's position.

As for the space heater. I do not have any issue with more advantage or comfort extended to advanced age or needs assisted hunters. I know there are legitimate exceptions to everything.

I believe you when you say no non hunter has told you baiting is a line in the sand. I have been told that many times. All I can say is the truth others can judge if I am honest.

On Coons, I bow to your experience. I would also strongly agree hunting behind dogs will get you the sweat equity factor.

I admit not much can grow in Texas thorn country or Georgia pine country, but I simply do not think the practice of timed feeders is necessary to kill a deer on these properties. I can compromise on the issue, but I would like to see the promotion of timed feeders/bait for deer slip away. On small properties or baiting that brings in high concentration of deer to a specific spot I do think CWD is an issue.

My assumption on what gets shot at feeders is when a specific deer will be shot.

As far as the statement that deer pass up native browse. We are I have seen too many big deer kill d out from underneath the feeder on tv and neighboring farm. I will also say if the feeder is not helping kill 3,4,5 year old bucks why is it there.

A few reasons: 1) because they draw all sorts on wildlife including birds and predators and it is a wonderful way to spend the afternoon with my soon viewing. 2) in late summer early fall...we feed once after dark...this is when you get to see the big deer and take a survey. 3) Let kids shoot pigs. 4) Get kids coached in shooting deer...cull bucks for eating.

I respect what you described as your time in the blind with your family. I think there is a place for this practice. Largely, based on your response. Would you permit me the articulation that this practice is too numerous or abused.

That is why I have spoken about s culture change. That hunters, outfitters, and property owners start pulling back from some of these things.

I want hunters when shopping for deer hunts in Texas or anywhere to say oh it is high fenced and how many acres o thank you and book elsewhere.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So many folks, especially those that have never beenm involved in an activity such as the way deer are hunted here in Texas really don't understand that unless a person is like me, just interested in shooting a doe for meat, with our 13 inch inside the main beam antler restrictions and even with the number of deer here in Texas, a person can end the season never having seen a legal buck.

If they don't come out why don't you go into the bush after them.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good rebuttal as any. My response was not directed at your property/setuation. It reads that way, and I apologize. My reply to why the feeder is there if bucks are not killed was a response to the practice in general. I believe the conditions on the ground are as you describe on your property as to mature bucks being nocturnal users.

But the fact remains hunters do use timed feeders to take big deer, and do take big deer. We have all seen it. I am willing to accept the focus should not be on the feeder(s) itself, but how it is used, and the size of the property. Then I can see it being a mater of taste and what you enjoy.

I still would not permit and find it deplorable the feed lot, put and take, kennel shoots that started this discussion wherever and whoever may be practicing them (No, I do not believe anyone on here is). And drive buy shooting of game. I am not afraid of the slippery slope. There are things going on under the guise of hunting most of us cannot tolerate.

This dialogue is needed to isolate those few practices and allow the ones most hunters agree with to remain where each hunter can engage pursuant to his principles.

Final thought:

You can and will go many seasons in most places never seeing a buck over 13 inches. Are you willing to put the tag in your pocket or cheat the animal. I have not seen a buck during season that nice in 2 years.

My Father never killed a deer ( doe or any kind), and he would not bait. It was illegal then in KY but some folks would.

Posts: 12245 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I ate MT deer and elk tag and ID elk and two deer tags
I noticed pattern over the years, more time I have more then likely I’ll get skunk as I get so damn picky
And let me tell you, by being picky I learn lot about game behavior and see things that I wouldn’t see otherwise
Funny thing is, it don’t make me any more successful

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they don't come out why don't you go into the bush after them.

Land owner rules!

Too many folks out there with too little knowledge of how to get out in the brush and hunt.

People were getting bhurt or lost and the suing the land owner.

As I have stated before MY preferred way of hunting is Spot and Stalk, but that is no longer an option in this region.

Why do you think I went to the Nebraska Sandhiills twice and twice to the Pine Ridge area in Nebraska, So I Could Actuallty HUNT.

There is a lot of difference between a few hunters roaming over several thousand acres and a half dozen hunters roaming over 1000 acres!

People have accidents/people get shot, that is the problem. So many of todays hunters do not know how to ACTUALLY hunt!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
L. Heym I have openly offered you a hunt, meals and lodging included at no cost to you other than just getting out here.

Why don't you wait on passing judgement on something you have NO ACTUAL/FACTUAL knowledge of, until AFTER you do the hunt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some things aren't really meant to be a spectator sport. I believe Mr Garza down in Freer, at the Muy Grande Village, may have started the first deer contest down there too, the Muy Grande contest. Lot's of people crave recognition and will do anything to achieve it.

Reuben Garza did start the Muy Grande contest and if memory serves me, he started it BEFORE TTHA got into business.

As much as we butt heads Raider, your comments above are some of the most accurate on the subject I have read. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your last comment is interesting and true from my experience.
However, should we turn hunting or fishing into a competition?

It is not a case of SHOULD we. I have no idea how pold you are Dogcat, I am 67 and we were not given the option.

American society as as whole lives for competition!!

Just look around you! Look at our schools and notice how much $$$$$ is being allocated toward Football Fields!!

You me and probably the majority of us grew up with the copncept that ANY animal we killed was a "Trophy"!!!

It is not that way any more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So many of todays hunters do not know how to ACTUALLY hunt!

And running pay for shooting of game over feeders and bait stations contributes to the problem.

They don't have to learn how to hunt. They pay there money sit in a blind and shoot their game.

When hunting becomes a business it all becomes different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Some things aren't really meant to be a spectator sport. I believe Mr Garza down in Freer, at the Muy Grande Village, may have started the first deer contest down there too, the Muy Grande contest. Lot's of people crave recognition and will do anything to achieve it.

Reuben Garza did start the Muy Grande contest and if memory serves me, he started it BEFORE TTHA got into business.

As much as we butt heads Raider, your comments above are some of the most accurate on the subject I have read. tu2

Thank you CHC. I can get carried away sometimes, so my apologies are offered to you. I will try and be more civil towards you and not get so carried away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
So many of todays hunters do not know how to ACTUALLY hunt!

And running pay for shooting of game over feeders and bait stations contributes to the problem.

They don't have to learn how to hunt. They pay there money sit in a blind and shoot their game.

When hunting becomes a business it all becomes different.

Agreed, but let's be honest. The vast majority of hunters do not participate in "hunts" like that. I personally think they are a joke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
L. Heym I have openly offered you a hunt, meals and lodging included at no cost to you other than just getting out here.

Why don't you wait on passing judgement on something you have NO ACTUAL/FACTUAL knowledge of, until AFTER you do the hunt?

I have went out of my to articulate compromise and full thought on this issue (hunting ethics). But I will not censor my thoughts on it.

I have as much knowledge as anyone on this topic. I will hunt with you and pay you. It I will not remove myself from this debate. Other than I do not want to repeat myself silly.

I will also not yell, cuss, or call anyone names.

I also agree with JRiders last post. I do not think most hunters participate in such endeavors, but we need to get away from those who do.

My last statement was that I would not compromise on pen raised, artificially I simulated, put and take shooting. You and your operation do not participate in such practice.

Yes, I would rather live in a world with out roped off beaches or hunting areas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
p dog shooter says.....If they don't come out why don't you go into the bush after them.

Land owner rules!

Too many folks out there with too little knowledge of how to get out in the brush and hunt.

People were getting bhurt or lost and the suing the land owner.

I'm sure CHC is correct, and I'll bet he would agree.......try going in after 'em in the S TX brush. You better have your kevlar suit on or you'll be ripped to shreds. That's the nastiest crap I've ever seen, including Africa and Sonora, MX.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have went out of my to articulate compromise and full thought on this issue (hunting ethics). But I will not censor my thoughts on it.

I have as much knowledge as anyone on this topic. I will hunt with you and pay you.

I do not think anyone wants you to change your thoughts or beliefs, I know I don't, but I would appreciate you going into the hunt with an open mind!

I do not want you to pay me anything, I merely want you to come out here with an OPEN MIND and do the hunt and then give an Open and Honest report on your experience, pro or con, just be honest.

I am more than willing to work the details out with you, and I will provide you with the EXACT same hunt I have done for other AR members. No Guarantees of a kill.

No one is asking you to censor your thoughts, maybe only asking you to have some basis in fact for your beliefs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you CHC. I can get carried away sometimes, so my apologies are offered to you. I will try and be more civil towards you and not get so carried away.

No apologies necessary, hunting is something both of us live to do!

We have our individual views/beliefs, but neither of us want to see ANY of us lose our ability to hunt, or at least I pray that all of us that hunt feel that way!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
try going in after 'em in the S TX brush. You better have your kevlar suit on or you'll be ripped to shreds. That's the nastiest crap I've ever seen, including Africa and Sonora, MX.

For 5 or 6 years in a row I did a couple spot and stalk hog hunts a year in the TX. brush thick nasty thorny for sure but I shot a lot of hogs. The closest was less the 5 foot off the muzzle of my 5.5 inch redhawk a couple hundred lb sow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That can happen, but you have to be an experienced hunter.

Not EVERYONE that hunts or buys a Hunting License is experienced!

Just because those of us on here have experience/knowledge, that does not mean everyone does.