New
Find
Notify
Tools

Larry Benoit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just read that Larry Benoit died this past October. One of the great ones.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Brother!!! He and his boys wrote the book on still hunting whitetails!

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I grew up on the Vermont border and always looked forward to The Vermont Sportsman with Benoit stories! Thankfully we didn't have to wear orange then so most of my cohorts and I looked like a bunch of Benoit clones. That was before anyone had even heard of a treestand!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes special country to hunt like that one that doesn't have a lot of property lines.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
It takes special country to hunt like that one that doesn't have a lot of property lines.

There in lies the whole ball game. Having talked to hunters from most of the states, it is interesting to think about what it would be like to hunt deer in that manner, instead of the way it is done here over most of Texas.

I always enjoyed the stories of Mr.Benoit's hunts.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hunted moose in Alberta on public "Crown" land, where our guide snow-tracked one til 3pm one day, then picked up the same tracks the next morning, my wife shot the moose at about 10 am. Can't do that in SE Pennsylvania! Larry Benoit is a deer tracking, and shooting, legend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP LB.

30 million whitetail in the USA.....and getting harder to find a place to hunt them everyday.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up hunting white tails like that.Thats the way everyone in Northern Wi and the UP hunted.There still is plenty of National Forest land in Wi. and the UP where motorized vehicles cant go,but everyone now is glued into their heated hunting shack.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am from western Mass. Larry Benoit was a hero for for most of us that hunted Vermont and Maine. Two or three years ago one of my older brothers, my brother in law and I rode our motorcycles to Larry's house. He invited us in and treated us like family. He had just finished three or four knives that he was going to sell I wish that I had the cash with me that day to buy one. He lived in a very humble home. He was a great story teller. He will be missed by his family.

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I grew up hunting white tails like that.Thats the way everyone in Northern Wi and the UP hunted.There still is plenty of National Forest land in Wi. and the UP where motorized vehicles cant go,but everyone now is glued into their heated hunting shack.

Watching over their bait pile

I still can enjoy a good tracking session on some large block of public land, muzzle loader season is the best lots of times there is no one out and about.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote