New
Find
Notify
Tools

Houston deer processor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any recommended deer processors around Houston - hunting after xmas in hill country. May drop the deers off in Houston.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not exactly Houston......but h&s in Conroe is exceptional, ainsworth in Crosby is good as well. I avoid midway in Katy like the plague, they are renowned for mixing meat when making hamburger and sausage.

Posts: 41797 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Not exactly Houston......but h&s in Conroe is exceptional, ainsworth in Crosby is good as well. I avoid midway in Katy like the plague, they are renowned for mixing meat when making hamburger and sausage.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are you going to be hunting in the hill country ?
You may be able to drop it off b/4 you reach the big bowl of soup !

If, in the 'hill country' off I-10, I've used the folks in Ingram. They've had the contract w/ the Mescalaro for years.
Closer to Houston, I hear good things a/b the meat market in Bellville.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just a comment on a comment, but for as long as I have been hunting deer, every processor I have ever heard of or asked about in Texas, is accused of mixing up or not giving the hunter back the meat that came off of their deer.

During a busy season, most processors get in so many deer over a weekend, and from experience processing our own deer, that once the hide is off, even if the tags are kept with the carcass, it gets impossible to tell one carcass from another.

More so after it is broken down into quarters and the quarters processed.

One other aspect that too many hunters are either misinformed about or simply do not understand concerns how much actual meat comes from a deer.

From what I have witnessed, unless you take in something special, an axis or elk or some other exotic, at many or most processors odds are any ground meat the hunter gets back is probably mixed with that from other hunters animals, more so if it is does being processed.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re: ground meat and sausage. It's my understanding that most processing plants weigh how much of your meat is going into the pile to be ground or made into sausage and when they're done, they portion it out accordingly.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Where are you going to be hunting in the hill country ?
You may be able to drop it off b/4 you reach the big bowl of soup !

If, in the 'hill country' off I-10, I've used the folks in Ingram. They've had the contract w/ the Mescalaro for years.
Closer to Houston, I hear good things a/b the meat market in Bellville.

I am hunting 40 miles from elorado tx - it is 1000 miles from there to my processor in north Florida - I may make the run. If not I want drop meat closer to Houston.

I have buddies, work and conferences in Houston so I come there more often.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI. when I went to Newfoundland in 1996 and Nunavut in 2000, I brought all of the Moose and Caribou from Newfoundland back to the processor I used here in Texas, meat made the trip in great shape.

Coming back from Nunavut I brought out 90 pounds each from my Musk Ox and Caribou, had it processed in Edmonton Alberta, and the meat made the trip just fine.

And we were driving on both trips. The only flight was from Cambridge Bay back to Edmonton.

Reality however success is if you have to travel to Houston on a regular basis, having it processed there and then picking it up for the trip home makes better sense.

Hope you have a good,successful hunt.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
From what I have witnessed, unless you take in something special, an axis or elk or some other exotic, at many or most processors odds are any ground meat the hunter gets back is probably mixed with that from other hunters

Very true -- and a very bad practice. Many hunters don't take care of their game. Some carcasses may lay around for days before going to the processor. In a warm climate like Texas this can make for very undesirable meat. I don't want my ground venison mixed with spoiled meat. Nor do I want meat from a fat, dry doe mixed with a rut-wearied old buck.

Also, if you'll check with processors, you'll find how many hunters never return for their meat, even when they've paid a deposit.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've known jerry, the man who owns h&s for fifteen years. He does not mix meat. You take him yours, you get yours back. He also makes the best venison jerky and deersticks I have ever had.

Posts: 41797 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I know it's not for everyone, but never underestimate the satisfaction of processing your own game. To me it's a logical extension of the hunting process. I'm pretty picky with my meat, and probably toss a lot more than any commercial processor, but I never question the high quality of my food. Smiler

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with DesertRam. Last time I used a processor, he obviously lost my deer. From a 170# fat doe, I got a little 20# box of meat from a deer that had been stressed. You can tell by the color and flavor. When I asked him for my tag back and metal carcass tag (Nebraska), he could not give them to me.

Since then, I process my own right down to processing the silverskin with the jerky for dog chew treats.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There may be some processors that keep track of each individual clients meat, but from experience, when the place is busy, it is difficult to keep track of any one particular batch of meat, especially meat for grinding.

Steaks, roasts, that is different, but at a place where dozens of deer are brought in during a busy weekend, they simply cannot keep up with each and every carcass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The place I use in Texas City, south of Houston does not mix meat. There are some good processors. I can tell if I have an old deer or a plump doe when I pick it up. Very satisfied!

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Randall! There are some folks capable of doing things correctly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has nothing to do with anyone doing things correctly.

It has to do with sheer numbers of animals being processed and impatient customers expecting their animals to be processed in one or two days.

Contrary to some individuals beliefs, some of us have dealt with processors and have actual knowledge of how things sometimes work.

Lora and I stopped using processors and take care of the animals we shoot ourselves, and from experience, that is the ONLY Guaranteed way of knowing positively that the hunter is getting the meat from the animals they shot.

I killed my first deer in 1970 and had it processed by a local butcher that my family had know both him and his family for decades.

Each of us are entitled to our own opinions based on our own experiences, and I know what I have experienced during 46 years of hunting deer and other big game and haqving much of it processed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made it to Houston at 1 am last night. My hotel had valet parking but I would be worried about my cooler and stuff in my truck. But seeing a clear 1-10 and no traffic in Houston and not wanting to deal with it the next day I decided to drive on to Florida.

Now I am stuck outside mobile in traffic trying to get to north Florida to drop of a well iced deer.

Thanks for the info will use h&s in the future.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Contrary to some individuals beliefs, some of us have dealt with processors and have actual knowledge of how things sometimes work.

Yep Randall, it sounds like you have dealt with processors that mix meat. I am very happy for you! Congratulations.

And you are old.

And your people knew other people.

And some processors mix meat.

I know for a fact that H&S doesn't mix meat. So just what IS YOUR FRICKING POINT?

Do you just have to argue.....wait....nevermind....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I made it to Houston at 1 am last night. My hotel had valet parking but I would be worried about my cooler and stuff in my truck. But seeing a clear 1-10 and no traffic in Houston and not wanting to deal with it the next day I decided to drive on to Florida.

Now I am stuck outside mobile in traffic trying to get to north Florida to drop of a well iced deer.

Thanks for the info will use h&s in the future.

Mike

Well??????????

What'd you get?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a 9 point whitetail.

I drove 1375 miles in 26 hours so I was out for the night.

Great hunting near Eldorado Texas

Did not get the meat doe the last day so I was driving less meat than expected.

Igloo cooler held up well. need to buy some tie downs for the yeti cooler - always worried someone would steal them.

Liked the RTIC coolers at Bu-cee.

Thanks for all the info provided on this thread.

DSC next week.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, good looking buck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I don't see a bullet hole. How much damage to the truck? :-)

Posts: 20115 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs

Mile marker 422 on I-10 I nearly hit the biggest buck in tx. This one required one shot 180 grain tsx 30/06.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on another fine hunt...looks like you've been bit by the Texas hunting bug.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Congrats on another fine hunt...looks like you've been bit by the Texas hunting bug.

Got to love Hill Country and West Texas.

Mule Mike is a great outfitter.

Aoudad and Mule Deer next.

I need to buy a place in the Hill Country.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Congrats. Nice buck......damned long drive man.

I am doing an axis hunt with Mike after DSC with Johan Herman. As odd as it is I don't get hardly any axis on my place out of Barksdale, surrounded by the things though. However I am covered up with Aoudad, some damn big ones too. Go figger????

Again congrats on fine buck, glad you had a good time in Texas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Outstanding! Congrats. Nice buck......damned long drive man.

I am doing an axis hunt with Mike after DSC with Johan Herman. As odd as it is I don't get hardly any axis on my place out of Barksdale, surrounded by the things though. However I am covered up with Aoudad, some damn big ones too. Go figger????

Again congrats on fine buck, glad you had a good time in Texas.

I had to google Barksdale and it is Edwards county - same as Rocksprings.

North of Rocksprings it covered with axis and the drive from Kerrville to Rockspring on the internal roads - it was herds of Axis. Strange.

I think Edwards county is god's country - beautiful.

Mike is a great outfitter. I will be hunting a lot with him - axis, auodad, management whitetails.

1375 miles is a long drive. I mainly just wanted to be back in the office to close out the year.

I personally like driving and hunting in West Texas. If it was not over xmas with everyone traveling I break it up with work meetings in New Orleans, Houston and Dallas and friends all over the place.

I will drive 1400 miles and spend 48 hour on the road anyday over flying 20 hours to Africa. I hate long haul to africa.

Mike