New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANWR Revisited.
 Login/Join

<William E. Tibbe>
posted
For newcomers, or those who missed it, a few months ago there were a series of posts pertaning to ANWR - The Arctic National Wildlife Reserve in NorthEastern Alaska. The gist of the topic was - Are you in favor of drilling? The ANWR is a pristine natural area full of wildlife.

Most of the respondents were in favor of drilling. However, there were some opponents. Now that we are at war, and the future is very uncertain, we must remember the 1973 Saudi Arabian political boycott, when, Jimmy Carter was President, we were all sitting in long gas lines at the service stations and inflation was double digit.

One benefit of the WTC is a big drop in oil prices and a reduction of prices at the pump. But suppose that some of the Arab oil producing countries go up in smoke or radical extermists revolt and take over!

How do you feel, now, about drilling in ANWR? Have some opponents changed their minds?

Incidentally, the August issue of National Geographic has an article about Alaska - Oil vs Wilderness.It is worthwhile to obtain. *( A photo of the Porcupine Caribou Herd - 136,000 - is stupendous and mind boggling to see - awesome )! A hunt would last about 30 seconds!

May I mention, also, Outdoor Connection? Are you familiar with it?

Harold Eby
16409 Fairview Road
Hagerstown, Maryland

Day: 301 733 4158
Evening: 301 797 4707
Fax: 301 733 4369

E-Mail: hdeby61@aol.com

www.harold@outdoor-connection.com

Check the website. There are some great guide outfitters available in fabulous fishing and big game territory.

You can watch:

"GONE HUNTIN" & FISHIN' TOO"

on the "Outdoor Channel" each week to see the Outdoor Connection's premier lodges.

Wednesdays-8:30 am; Fridays-7:30 pm; Sundays 2:30 pm

All times are Central Standard time.

Kendall

[This message has been edited by William E. Tibbe (edited 10-14-2001).]

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that most folks are responsible enough to reckognize the need to restore the arctic wilderness to its natural state after the oil is gone. The way I see it the real question is do we have a choice?

I believe that instead of cutting back oil production as the former administration would have it we should be focusing thought and resources on alternative energy development first. In the mean time we still need oil...

I must say I was very disheartened to hear about the criminal who shot a hole in the pipeline recently spilling so much oil onto the beautifull Alaskan wilderness. I think he should be dropped off in Afganistan with a star spangled parachute.

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I am not adverse to drilling in the ANWR as a back up plan, what ever happened to the "gasahol" projects that were being investigated during the gas shortages? Was it an unfeasable plan, or did the greedy oil companied torpedo it in order to maintain their great profits? That would have saved a lot of farmers who ended up losing their farms.
I'm not intending to start a flame war with those questions. Just looking for answers.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
I always thought that oil was the only thing those third world countrys had going for them and cutting off are oil supply would hurt them worse than us, a little ignorant on the subject maybe. I've never been around oil drilling so I do not know what kind of impact it has on the environment other than an oil spill is devistating. I come from W.V were I am a coal miner and we take a lot of heat from the enviros but what they don't realize is that a reclaimed mine site, weather it's strip or deep mine turns out to be a great place for upland game birds, deer ,bear, and hogs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Raise your hand if you're a product of public school propaganda.

I've never seen salmon so cheap, per pound, as the two years following the spill of the Exxon Valdes.

I will not take the space here to explain why.

The environmental impact of drilling for crude is so incredibly overblown as to be ridiculous.

It's worse than a crime, it's a fault - and it's another nail in the American coffin.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote