Notify
Tools

We lost our son Jack
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Chris,

I am in deep shock as I read this terrible news. I cannot imagine what you must be going through. My prayers are with you and the family, and for Jack.

Dave

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Having been through a similar loss, I know how terrible it can be. I cannot say I know how you feel, because the loss is so deep and personal its impossible to comprehend. I would like to say that you are in all of our thoughts and prayers. Cherish his memories forever. another thing is to not let people tell you will "will get over it". That is not possible which is truly a good thing, because as long as you still remember him, he will always be with you in your hearts.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2588 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
To all my friends,

First I want to say thank you all again for your support and kind words of encouragement. I am one who has sent these same words on to others in the past, and always wondered if they were able to take any comfort from them. Now I know. They did.

A very large THANK YOU and God’s blessings to you all.

This will probably be my last multiple forum response, to which I beg your indulgence once again. It’s easier on my heart to only have to type this once. Soon I hope to return to individual responses to single out and thank so many of you personally.

As promised, I will now pass on the poem that my daughter Sarah composed after Jack’s passing. She’s 12 years old, and wrote this poem without any assistance or editing from anyone. It just took our breath away when Susan and I read this the first time. It still does.

Brother

My brother died on this day
Somehow we will find a way
To find the happy days once more
To stop our eyes becoming sore
For the loss we all must bear
For the tears we all will share
He is the one we cry for
And his soul, it will soar
Through the sky it will go
To a wonderful place you know
In Heaven he will stay
In Heaven he will play
We were with him from the start
So he will always be in our hearts

By Sarah Hazelett

The last line of the poem is engraved on Jack’s urn. It’s sitting next to me as I type this.

I had mistakenly named the resort they were at as the Princess Resort. My apologies for that, I had confused the name of the street with the name of the resort itself. They had been at the Xona resort. I hope this hasn’t caused any undue issues for the Princess Resort. I wasn’t there, I worked that day, and while the plan was for me to go to the resort and pick Jack up from there and bring him home with me, when I called my wife to get directions to where they were, that is when I got the news…

The rest you know, and I don’t think I can type anymore about this now.

Thank you all again.

Chris.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our prayers and thoughts are with you and yours.
Coues

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
I'm sorry to be so late reading the post. I cried as I read your story. I am so sorry man. My heart hurts for you. If you need anything, please drop me an email. I have a lot of friends in the valley and I get down there now and again. God Bless........Gino

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just read this today. I have 2 boys 12 & 14. I can't stop thinking about this. I am crying inside for you Chris. Wayne

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply saying that you have my deepest sympathies is inadequate. I pray that you and your family will find comfort in your faith. The sun will shine again, you will smile and laugh. As hard as it is, take solace in knowing that you had your son for 6 years, while too short, it is better than not having him at all. Cherish the memories and hold on to eachother.

God bless

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steven30127
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry....I know the pain that you and your family are experiencing. The only thing that I can tell you is that each day you become more comfortable with it. It doesn't go away....you just become more comfortable with it. God bless you and your family...cherish each member.

Posts: 257 | Location: Aliso Viejo, California | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My heart cries for you, and you are in my prayers.

God Bless you and your family.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
Sincere Condolence and Prayers in your time of grief. I have a 13 and 9 year old boys and can only imagine your feelings now. I pray for you to be strong and carry on.
Joe

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
My deepest sympathy to you sir as you experience my deepest fear. I can only pray that time will heal your wounds.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our deepest sympathy on your great loss.

May God give you strength in this time of need.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67238 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to hear of your terrible loss
gods speed

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn't see this post until now!

What a truly horrible loss for anyone to have to bear, I've already mentioned it to my children and we will say an extra prayer for your family tonight, along with some kind thoughts for all.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Slowpoke, I'm extremely sorry, I can't imagine how you feel. I will certainly pray for your family, I should have seen this sooner, I just don't frequent this forum much.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers here across the water.
Ireland

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slim,

Was in Africa when the event occurred and the thread started. Just happened on to it today.

A terrible sadness! Our most sincere and heartfelt condolences. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Like Mike, I was in Africa and just found this. My thoughts and prayers are with Jack and your family.

Posts: 3870 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slim,
It breaks my heart when I hear of the passing of such sweet children. He is about the age of my oldest grandson. I once talked to a friend who had lost his son in a tragic car accident and he told me that you will never get over it but you just learn to live with it. my own brother lost a 16 year old son and a new born. I often wondered how he could continue but you just have to. It is honoring his memory to go on. he will always be with you. god bless and keep you and your family.

The more people I get to know, the more I love my dog!

Posts: 117 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 26 June 2008Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Chris;

I too, do not frequent these threads too often, so I am just now reading about your tragic loss. My heart felt sympathies to you and your family; be assured that God has a purpose in all that we endure, even though it may not be revealed for a long time.

You and your family must live on without your beloved, as many of us have also learned; by so doing we honor their memories and live as a legacy to them.

It is good to know that so many hard, strong men break and shed tears and are so willing to let their peers know it; I am encouraged amid all the loss and strife.

May God bless you and smile upon you and may your loss bring hope and faith!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You and your family are in my prayers.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
If my experience is any guide you are going to feel him very near you for a period of time.

Keep him a part of your new life. I say that, because I felt that someone ripped the story of my life out of my hands, tore out pages very important to me, and handed it back saying, "here's your new life, enjoy". I spent a lot of time being bitter.

Trust me, the pain will subside, but it won't stop, and you won't want it to stop. That young man was a big part of your life. Don't block him out. Talk about him, and let others talk about him.

To say your life will never be the same is a gross understatement. Cherish your daughter, but don't smother her. When she's out of your sight, the worst isn't going to happen. It will be just fear and dread eating at you. Don't let her blame herself.

Do the best you can in the hard days ahead. That's all you can do. Just get through one day at a time.

Some of your friends will be afraid to call, don't judge them later. The ones that do call are brave souls. Their words will be a comfort, and allow you to share your feelings. Don't shut the world out.

When you're ready to come back, we'll be here.

sounds like good advice.
I am so sorry for your loss.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slim,

I have no words for a tragedy like this, the pain is too incomprehensible.

My condolences to you & you’re family,
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
As many others - all I can do is let you know how deeply sorry I feel for your tragic loss.

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote