Find
Notify
Tools

What are you hunting with this year?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted
I think this is the third year in a row I've asked this question. I have nothing special planned, just deer and hog on my place.

I think this year I'm taking my newly modified Ruger 6.5x55. I'll either use 140 Partitions or 155 Lapua Megas. Not sure yet.

First year to hunt with this rifle although I've used the caliber before.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Hopefully just another fall with my old rusty M700 30-06

I do have a June surprise for the old girl though

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 70 Win in 264WinMag, 100gr Nosler Partitions at 3400fps....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Nice buck Ted!

Deer, 300RUM Weatherby Vanguard

Varmints, 204Ruger Browning A-Bolt

Grouse, Benelli Montefeltro 12ga

MZ Deer, Encore,.50 cal smokeless Bullberry

Pistols, Contender .375 Win or S&W 57 .41 mag for deer and the little Buckmark for Rabbits.

Squirrel, Browning A-Bolt 22

Dang then there's archery....

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For our trip up north the current pet that's going for sure is the Klaus Hiptmayer 30-06 and others are ready along with the Kimber Montana 7mm WSM as the rough weather rifle.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
As usual, I will be using whatever I pull out of the closet. The only thing I am really thinking about trying, will depend totally upon elk movement at the time. I am doing a late season cow elk hunt in Colorado this year and my goal, if it works out, is to shoot my cow with my .38-55 Model 94 Winchester. I will be taking either my .35 Whelen or my .300 Weatherby as a back up gun. I think with the load I am using the .38-55 will work out to maybe 150 yards, preferably closer.

It is just something I would like to do.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
http://i296.photobucket.com/al...0021_zpseb2bf6d5.jpg
I have a new Turnbull 1886 Winchester, 32 inch octagon, shotgun butt and case finish. I'll try it on deer and bear. Its chambered in 50-110.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome gun Buckeye, I shoot my trusty old REM 700BDL , 300 win mag 165 TSX.
Looks like hell as it has seen tough tims for 20 years but shoots awesome. My go to guide gun.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really great looking rifles Buckeye. My .38-55 is one of the Model 94 Winchester Chief Crazy Horse Commemoratives.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm switching things up this year and hunting elk with my 35 Whelen. My 338 will be setting in the safe.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen, my guess is it will shoot just great. Got to get busy loading soon!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a newly acquired Colt Light Rifle in 30-06 that I will try first, if I find a load. If not that, then my 6.5-06AI with 120 BT for deer.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaser R8 in either a .30-06 or a .300 WM

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
In a couple of weeks I'll be headed to WY for the AR antelope hunt. I'll be using my .270 Sako. It's accounted for 341 deer and 12 antelope since 1984 so I see no need to change.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
341 deer in 29 years? 11 to 12 a year? WOW!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Gee, you guys are getting all fired up to go hunting and I'm already tagged out CRYBABY
Took 2 blacktail and 2 coyotes so far with my new M70FWT in 270.
I'll probably take it to Argentina next March for stag. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
341 deer? Me I moved past deer hunting when I hit a total of 53. Saved me money to hunt where I've never hunted for animals I have never hunted.

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:
341 deer in 29 years? 11 to 12 a year? WOW!

And that's just with one rifle... I'm well into triple digits with other rifles on top of that. Most of those kills were from doing amateur deer ag damage control 'work.'

quote:
Me I moved past deer hunting when I hit a total of 53. Saved me money to hunt where I've never hunted for animals I have never hunted.

I hear you, but going for other game either costs a lot of money or is beyond my physical abilities. Would love to try for a moose someday.

(Apologies for for hijacking the thread.)

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I acquired a 1-of-500 GO Wholesale Sako .280 Remington earlier this year which shoots the fine old 150 grain Nosler Solid Base bullet into sub-MOA groups all the way out beyond 400 yards. It's more than usually needed for whitetails, but its additional authority will be useful for hogs.

I have an invitation to hunt fallow, moose, roe, and boar in Sweden late this winter and am still contemplating what rifle I need to jump the pond with.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Winchester 70 .270 for deer, Remington 870 12 gauge for waterfowl and upland birds (and maybe deer too), and a CZ 452 or 10/22 for small game.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
my first order of business this year,is to break in my 450 marlin guide gun.This is my third season with it,and have carried other arms when I filled my tag.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to draw blood this year with my newest toy...."semi-custom" Remington 700 Sendero .300 Win Mag.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For me, it'll no doubt be the same little rifle that has served me for the past 16 years: A Contender with a 20 1/8th untapered barrel in 7mm Bullberry. It currently wears a VX2 3-9x40 with German #4 reticle and is sighted in with Nosler 140 grain Solid Bases (old style/lead-tipped) which leave the muzzle at a sedate 2451 fps.

And, if not that (and if I get it re-scoped in time), I may use a 23" Contender in .309 JDJ.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
My old trusty Sako 308 and 150 grains Barnes

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
old model 70 300 H&H.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking my HS Precision .270 WSM to the AR Antelope hunt in a couple of weeks. It's shooting under and inch, just have to do my part and it's Pronghorn on the BBQ.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be using a .50 cal cap lock in the early muzzleloader season, and I'm not sure what I'm hunting with during rifle season. I have it narrowed down to either my Marlin .30-30 or my '06.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
For deer hunting I will be using my trusty Browning A-bolt in 7mm-08 for general purpos stand hunting. For drives I'm using my Ruger No.1 in 450NE. Last but not least, I will be using My savage 110 in 338 Edge for stalking along swamps and ponds.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Pre 64 Win model 88 in 308. Back up will be a M-98 7X57.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Custom 6.5x284 Norma

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:

Holy smokes! Backing up an 88 in 308 with a 98 in 7x57, does it get any better?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting into takedown rifles lately. Got my wife a Verney Caron takedown bolt in .270WSM. She won a muley hunt in western Montana through Mule Deer Foundation raffle. I may buy a BLR takedown in 7mm-08. Good hunting to all!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:

Holy smokes! Backing up an 88 in 308 with a 98 in 7x57, does it get any better?

Yep......my old and very scratched and rusty 700

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking my CZ 550 9.3x62 elk hunting next month. Backup rifle will be my Browning X-bolt 300 Win Mag. I will be using my Ruger M77 358 Win for deer again this year.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Texas (first time) for Whitetail Deer with Ruger No.1 .270

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I bought the rifle, it had a nice piece of wood for a stock, nothing fancy, just nice.
Busted the stock in a horse wreck and shot the barrel out.

Put a Hogue stock on it and a new barrel.
Had to tweek the load slightly and thou "She" looks like a "spray painted jack handle"
She's MY spray painted jack handle and
I can make her sing.
Winchester Model 70 in 7 STW

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it gets the job done and that is all that matters in the long run. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
As usual, I will be using whatever I pull out of the closet. The only thing I am really thinking about trying, will depend totally upon elk movement at the time. I am doing a late season cow elk hunt in Colorado this year and my goal, if it works out, is to shoot my cow with my .38-55 Model 94 Winchester. I will be taking either my .35 Whelen or my .300 Weatherby as a back up gun. I think with the load I am using the .38-55 will work out to maybe 150 yards, preferably closer.

It is just something I would like to do.

What load will grace the .38-55 chamber during your elk quest?

Posts: 106 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 10 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35.0 grains of IMR 3031, which according to modern loading manuals is an overload, but is listed as a maximum load in the old Lyman # 45 manual.

The bullet is a .377 diameter, 255 grain Barnes Original. My rifle really likes this load and I think out to 150 yards it will do the job, providing I do my part.

It may not happen, but I am going to do my best at putting it together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snares, traps, rifles, pistols, bow, crossbow and DSLR and GoPro camera.

My even put some tubing on this slingshot my grandpaw whittled for me back around 1958........

IIRC he would cut strips of rubber from a tire tube and attach them to a leather pouch with twine. Those were the good ol' days.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote