THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    First Antelope is back from Taxidermist.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Antelope is back from Taxidermist.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I just got my first Antelope back from my taxidermist.

He was done by Eric @ "Trading Post Taxidermy" in Gilbert AZ.

He's not a "Booner" but he looks good to me.

I built a 42" high pedistal of Purpleheart and Walnut and had him install it.

I got him in 2005 but it spent a year in my freezer. Roll Eyes

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful mount. thumb

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
Great looking mount-one to be proud of!

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
Looks dang good to me too. I'll take one like that anyday, ha ha. Congratulations.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I love pedestal mounts!! He has a nice heart shape!

......and you took him where, with what, etc.???

Congrats!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice mount, they sure are pretty animals. Where was he taken and what did you use?

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I lucked out and was drawn in AZ in 2005. There were only 7 tags available. I was drawn on my second year trying and some of my buddies that had been applying for AZ Antelope for 10-12 years were a bit pissed.

I took him in 5B on what historically known as "Anderson mesa" southeast of Flagstaff. The area was made semi-famous by gun writer Jack O'Conner. I'm told he and his wife hunted the area the first year Antelope were a legal game species again in the 40s?

I had scouted the area the week before and saw him at about 1500 yards. When I got back to set up camp the day before opening day I say him again at about 1 mile. I caught the herd, 17 strong, walking to water at about 8:30am and got him at about 200 yards. I used my Savage .270 with 140 gr BT bullets.

I was hunting alone that Friday with 2 friends coming out at about noon to hunt and help me for a couple of days. I called them at 9:30 to tell them the news and they were already on the road out to me. I had taken a week off for the hunt and tagged out in two hours.

Here's another photo of the pedistal

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be honest with you. That is one of the best antelope mounts that I've seen.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, and thanks for sharing! I took my first this year past, and man are they fun creatures to chase around. Tasty, too. Smiler

Cheers,

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Looks like a heck of a buck to me. Congrats!

Nice mount as well.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Being from AZ I must say luck was with you on that hunt... Mostly just getting drawn... I do like the mount and you put together a very nice base... Thanks for sharing the story and photos....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Not a thing wrong with that. Great mount. I should be getting my first antegoat back from the taxidermy in the next few weeks. Mine was taken last year in Wyo. All I had done is a skull mount. Looking at that great pedestal mount you have there makes me think...
Thanks for sharing.
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allout:
Not a thing wrong with that. Great mount. I should be getting my first antegoat back from the taxidermy in the next few weeks. Mine was taken last year in Wyo. All I had done is a skull mount. Looking at that great pedestal mount you have there makes me think...
Thanks for sharing.
Brian

Most any Taxidermist can get you a Pronghorn cape if you change you mind in the future and want a shoulder mount. beer

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, by the end of September, I will have another one on the ground and in the salt. We shall see...If so, he may just get put up on a pedestal...
dancing

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote