THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    CA introduces bill to make pigs nongame animals
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CA introduces bill to make pigs nongame animals
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
In Texas, TP&W does not care how hogs are killed or how many, it boils down to finding property a person can hunt on, and landowners here, don't just allow anyone/everyone on their property and they usually want to make a little $$$$$ for doing so.

A couple years ago my son and I were in south Texas - he was hunting deer and I was hunting bobcats and coyotes. We were on stand predator calling and the outfitter kept complaining about how much damage the hogs did to their feeders, ripping up gardens, how bad the feral hogs problem was... Just then about a half dozen came out of the bush 50 yds in front of us and one was a huge sow. I asked him if he wanted me to shoot that big sow. His response - sure, for a $500.00 fee. I told him well I guess she will just have to keep making babies!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I read the proposed legislation and its kinda hard to follow but the net looks like the de-classification results in a $~22 pig tag (1 each) is replaced with a $15 validation permit and the number allowed on the permit is subject to be setting by F&G and would remove the requirement for farmers and ranchers to get a depredation permit. It also alows Fish and Game to revert pack to pig tags if they deem fit.

It would also prohibit pigs from being used on put and take hunting preserves.

There may be other things in there that I didn't pick up because it is written in a pretty convoluted way.

The bill was introduced by Republican Assembly Member Bigelow who represents the Fresno area.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
A couple years ago my son and I were in south Texas - he was hunting deer and I was hunting bobcats and coyotes. We were on stand predator calling and the outfitter kept complaining about how much damage the hogs did to their feeders, ripping up gardens, how bad the feral hogs problem was... Just then about a half dozen came out of the bush 50 yds in front of us and one was a huge sow. I asked him if he wanted me to shoot that big sow. His response - sure, for a $500.00 fee. I told him well I guess she will just have to keep making babies!

And that is part of the problem!

If you were a land owner, would you willingly let people on your property not knowing whether or not they are going to obey the law! I seriously doubt it!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

And that is part of the problem!

If you were a land owner, would you willingly let people on! your property not knowing whether or not they are going to obey the law! I seriously doubt it!

I think you misunderstood my point - the landowner (and outfitter in this case) was all about how bad the problem was but when the opportunity came along to help reduce the population, the hogs suddenly had value.. We were already paying customers with Texas hunting licenses so we were obviously legal,invited and obeying the laws.

Nothing wrong with charging a trophy fee to shoot game on their land but don't sit there and complain about how bad the problem is and then expect me to pay $500 when I offer to help make difference...

I've never had a cattle or sheep rancher anywhere else ever ask for money to kill coyotes ...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
No, I do understand, probably better than you believe.

I see it all the time, and feel bad that things have evolved the way they have, but land owners have a vested interest in their property so why should their wanting to get some income from saomething that is on their property be a bad thing?

I know of very few activities that people enjoy/participater in that isn't a case of "Pay To Play"!

Do I think some folks charge too much, yes I do, but as long as there are those out there willing to pay the price of admission, those high prices will continue to be charged.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote