THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    CA introduces bill to make pigs nongame animals
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CA introduces bill to make pigs nongame animals
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Just got this from SCI
https://contentsharing.net/act...uHO5cJZquWcxu6eSxIqE
The bill, AB2805 is opposed by SCI because they think the Calif Dept of fish and game is doing something to manage pig populations. IME the Ca DFG oh excuse me, the dept of Wildlife has never managed anything and if they try, they are over ridden by the legislature and the courts. Lion hunting banned, Bear hunting severely restricted, No doe season in over 60 years and all they are doing with pig tags is collecting money. Pretty soon we will be overrun by hogs like they are in Texas.
I think SCI is on the wrong side of this unless someone can show me where Ca is managing anything.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling you are 100% correct with your estimation.

Feral hogs simply can not be managed like other game.

Feral hogs are an ecological disaster that simply can not be managed like other species.

If state Game Departments do not open their eyes minds to facts, it will be their own fault.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The question should why are there any restrictions on hunting hogs in any state.

Or any other invasive species.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn good question.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I have a feeling you are 100% correct with your estimation.

Feral hogs simply can not be managed like other game.

Feral hogs are an ecological disaster that simply can not be managed like other species.

If state Game Departments do not open their eyes minds to facts, it will be their own fault.

100% correct CHC and SCI is way off on opposing that Bill. Why they would do that is beyond me since hogs wouldn't have a season and could be shot year around with no license required. What in the hell is SCI thinking?!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't think that the state will give up the fees from pig tags without a good substitute. Over 50,000 pig tags are sold each year for $22.42 per tag (resident) and $75.60 (nonresident). That's between $1.1 Million and $3 Million per year. Plus the hunting license fees for people who only hunt pigs.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
CA won't give that up easily.

I don't think it will be a casew of giving up, but facing reality.

A sow can have up to 3 litters a year and the survival rate is unbelievable.

Texas Dept. of Agriculture is actively searching for a poison that can be used to help control numbers.

There is no accurate estimate of the actual numbers of Feral hogs in Texas but something north of 2 million is a good bet.

Supposedly at a recent Farm and Ranch show, it is estimated that if something drastic is not set in motion, hog numbers in Texas could reach 5 million plus in the next 2 maybe 3 years

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
There is no "upside" for DFW to make pigs non-game animals.

Reality or the right thing to do has nothing to do with what decisions DFW will make.

As, Blacktailer says - DFW is not managing anything so declaring them a non game only reduces there revenues and their sphere of influence. That being said this appears not be a F&G proposal but assembly member proposal from Fresno. probably worthwhile to read the actual bill.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, all those cats have to eat something. Let 'em eat pigs too. Everything needs a change in diet now and then.
Maybe a few thousand will get on the hwy's and get nailed too. Some day, some how the citizens in CALI need to start a revolt against the gov.
out there.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
We already have a year round pig season. You can buy plenty of tags inexpensively. I'm not sure what the logic is behind making them 'non-game'.

Comments about Fish & Game (sorry, I've lived her all 59 of my years and am not gonna change what I call our fish and game department) not managing big game animals are pretty accurate.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
CA won't give that up easily.

I don't think it will be a casew of giving up, but facing reality.

A sow can have up to 3 litters a year and the survival rate is unbelievable.

Texas Dept. of Agriculture is actively searching for a poison that can be used to help control numbers.

There is no accurate estimate of the actual numbers of Feral hogs in Texas but something north of 2 million is a good bet.

Supposedly at a recent Farm and Ranch show, it is estimated that if something drastic is not set in motion, hog numbers in Texas could reach 5 million plus in the next 2 maybe 3 years

I've been hunting pigs since the early 70's in California and the range of hogs is actually smaller now then it was then. We used to kill hogs all over Santa Barbara County but the data from 2016 shows that there are nearly no hogs left there. The US Government owns 48.5% of the land in California and the National Forest and BLM land is almost empty of wild pigs.

From this year's CA Dept of Fish and Wildlife report

Tag return for successful pig hunters is mandatory and provides the data comprising this report.
In the 2015 – 2016 hunting season, tag sales decreased 8.3 percent from the 58,288 tags sold in

Furthermore, 3,927 wild pigs were reported taken, A total of 53,430 wild
pig tags were issued making overall successful tag return 7.3 percent.

The top six counties for pig harvest were: Monterey (21.7%), San Luis Obispo (12.3%), Kern (11.8%), Mendocino
(8.7%), Sonoma (7.5%) and Tehama (7.5%). These six counties accounted for more than 69 percent of reported take.

Finally, 86.4 percent (3,394) of all returned tags indicated that they hunted wild pigs on private land.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is possible that California's climate/weather patterns may have something to do with what is going on with pig populations there.

The discussions that are taking place concerning the status of game or non-game animal maybe being fueled by information and research that has been done by other state G&F agenciesc and the effects pigs have had in those states.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The problem in Ca is that there are large areas where there is no surface water so the areas where there is surface water tend to have concentrations of pigs. The drought of the past several years has concentrated the pigs even more so some areas don't have any pigs while other areas are overrun. The DFG thinks they can manage the population on a statewide basis rather than let the landowners who are getting hammered by pigs manage their own land.
"We are from the government and we are here to help".

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
It is pretty clear that SCI is only interested in protecting the pig population so that the will continue to be a huntable population.

IMO this is total BS. Pigs are a non-native/invasive species that harms native wildlife. I really don't like non-native animals.

From the SCI Press Release:
quote:

Member Alert
California Wild Pig Hunting Under Attack

Legislation introduced by Assemblyman Frank Bigelow could destroy wild pig populations. Assembly Bill 2805 (AB 2805), if enacted into law, would do the following:

The wild pig would lose its game mammal status and be reclassified as non-game, exotic or another designation that would allow them to be killed in large numbers by any means;
Wild pigs could be trapped and killed in the traps and possibly even poisoned. These methods could affect non-targeted animals as well as the pigs;
The requirements for property owners to obtain a permit to kill depredating wild pigs and to report on the number killed would be eliminated, thus doing away with any Department of Fish and Wildlife (DFW) oversight and recordkeeping needed for proper management of wild pig populations;
Landowners could freely kill pigs by claiming they are threatening their property. The pigs would no longer be managed under the principles of scientific wildlife management, but by politics, speculation and emotion;
Would repeal the requirement that DFW notify landowners of the option to use hunting as a means of reducing the number of wild pigs on their property; and
Wild pig tag/validation money could no longer to be used by DFW to engage in programs that benefit wild pigs, and thus hunters, but could be used instead to develop “management” that could authorize the indiscriminate killing of pigs on a large scale by property owners. Using hunting-generated fees in this manner is unethical.

SCI strongly opposes AB 2805. Please use SCI’s Action Center to contact your state legislator and tell them you oppose AB 2805.

Once you have done that, go the next step and contact the bills’ author, Frank Bigelow, and tell him you are opposed to this bill. Call his office at (916) 319-2005 or fax him at (916) 319-2105. You can also email him at assemblymember.bigelow@assembly.ca.gov.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO Feral pigs are an invasive species and aren’t managed by Fish & Wildlife anyway, so why not delist them. Most wild pigs occur on private land and the land owners are the ones managing. Feral pigs could easily be exterminated in CA if they wanted since our pig lands are open and easy to hunt. Most land owners like the income from hunts. When there are too many pigs and damage gets too severe they simply sell more hunts to reduce it. I don’t believe pig damage in CA will ever become the problem it is in, say Texas, as we don’t have the thick brush for them to hide in.
While on my F&W tirade. They don’t seem to be managing any more. They don’t want loose the tag money, of course, as their income is already shrinking yearly due to loss of hunters. Most of the money F&W collects goes to pay salaries of their upper management and any that does go toward management studies is wasted as they don’t use the information to manage our game anymore.
Case in point; California recently spent a few million dollars to investigate reported decline in deer numbers by hunters. They discovered what most deer hunters already knew, that lion and now bear depredation, since banning hound hunting, is the biggest factor. When asked what changes in bear hunting would be made to correct the imbalance, their answer was to let nature take its course. Since then I’m not putting much stock in F&W actually managing game for hunting.
I don’t understand SCI being against delisting pigs in CA.

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI position seems odd to me. I will be turkey hunting with a board member soon. I will ask him. I Know for a fact that the president is away . He will be attending the big meeting in DC starting Friday.

Here in FL, the hogs on private land are the property of the land owner. One can do whatever the hell they want to with the hogs. Shoot as many as you want, day or night any kind of weapon. In this state , we could not kill them all if we wanted to. I probably average about 60 a year. I am not even making a dent. There are more than ever. I have fed a lot of people over the years.

Granted our terrain is probably a lot different than CA. Regardless, I can't imagine wiping them out completely.

On public land, they are regulated here..

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Here in FL, the hogs on private land are the property of the land owner. One can do whatever the hell they want to with the hogs. Shoot as many as you want, day or night any kind of weapon. In this state , we could not kill them all if we wanted to.

Quite a few years back, I hunted Osceola turkey on the Seminole reservation, and there were hundreds of hogs wandering around. Since I had brought only my over/under 20 ga. Browning for the bird hunt, I borrowed the manager's .223 rifle and shot a fat sow. They have their own processing plant on the res, so I had it all made into sausage with Italian hot seasoning. Wound up with about 50 lbs of excellent table fare.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Where is Kyler? He probably knows more about this than anyone.
Since SCI is interested in this can I claim to have the California Feral Hog Pinnacle of Achievement? How about the Pig Inner Circle?

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:
Here in FL, the hogs on private land are the property of the land owner. One can do whatever the hell they want to with the hogs. Shoot as many as you want, day or night any kind of weapon. In this state , we could not kill them all if we wanted to.

Quite a few years back, I hunted Osceola turkey on the Seminole reservation, and there were hundreds of hogs wandering around. Since I had brought only my over/under 20 ga. Browning for the bird hunt, I borrowed the manager's .223 rifle and shot a fat sow. They have their own processing plant on the res, so I had it all made into sausage with Italian hot seasoning. Wound up with about 50 lbs of excellent table fare.
The old boars can be pretty rough. Sows, young boars and bars if cooked right are excellent.

I used to be on a lease with a lot of hogs. We would find a 50-60 pounder and pop it in the head with a 22 magnum. One of the guys was a expert in cooking the whole hog. Damn it was good. The meat would fall off the bone.

I wish I had those skills.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to be on a lease with a lot of hogs. We would find a 50-60 pounder and pop it in the head with a 22 magnum. One of the guys was a expert in cooking the whole hog. Damn it was good. The meat would fall off the bone.

I wish I had those skills.

I killed a big boar over 200 lbs. on a ranch in Mesuite, Nev. when I went there to pick up my German SH pup that I had bought from the ranch manager. I butchered it (the pig not the pup Smiler) into normal cuts of meat but should have made sausage out of it. A roast was OK if slow-cooked in a crock pot, but the rest was pretty tough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad you clarified that about the pup. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I eaten a lot of wild hogs mostly in the 50 to 150 pound range good eating.

The real big ones were left for the yotes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the beastie I shot in Nev.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank god for SCI! It would be tragic if the California hog populations were decimated by non-game status just like what has happened in Texas. Roll Eyes

We're lucky if we see twenty or thirty a day. And they don't even come into my yard every night. Pretty soon they will have gone the way of the do-do bird and the passenger pigeon.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your taxi did a great job on that hog Tony!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
Your taxi did a great job on that hog Tony!

Yup, and it was done more than 25 years ago.

Ginger, the dog, lived to be 10 before I had her put down because of a huge tumor on her pancreas. And since her, we've had two labs -- a silver and a chocolate. Both of them are also now gone. And now, at 76 with medical issues, I'm dogged out and probably should be put down as well. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank god for SCI! It would be tragic if the California hog populations were decimated by non-game status just like what has happened in Texas.

We're lucky if we see twenty or thirty a day. And they don't even come into my yard every night. Pretty soon they will have gone the way of the do-do bird and the passenger pigeon.

Confused Confused Confused

Are you serious?????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thank god for SCI! It would be tragic if the California hog populations were decimated by non-game status just like what has happened in Texas.

Confused Confused Confused

Are you serious?????

Don't you recognize a great piece of sarcasm when you read it, LOL?!!! I guess not from that comment and other stuff you've posted lately involving a lack of reading comprehension after some of your comments about various member posts!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could ask you that same question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could ask you that same question.

LOL! Great response and not surprising at all!!! You do know what sarcasm is I hope, LOL!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You do know what sarcasm is I hope

For some a /S/ is needed and then some times they miss it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
You do know what sarcasm is I hope

For some a /S/ is needed and then some times they miss it.

Very true in this case since he missed the rolling eyes emoticon in the post or didn't know that it was used to express sarcasm!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not the one with the problem, and I understand sarcasm quite well, anmd I understand what all the emoticons mean.

What I can't understand is why it seems to matter to anyone???????

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wow Topcop you are really outdoing yourself, take a look at recent posts by Topcop you are proving yourself to be a total jerk asshat! Keep it up if there were an award for disrupting threads, bullying and being over- bearing and inaccurate you would win it hands down.
Thanks for ruining yet one more decent conversation among adults.
And before you go flapping your mouthpiece take a look at "recent posts by the asshat Topshot" then tell me I'm wrong.
You are being a complete jerk and ruining a good adult converstion.
Crawl back under your rock.

By the way don't bother PMing me again, I won't read it or respond to it you control freak.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Topgun, when were you made a Moderator of this site?????

Just curious here, nothing more, but it sure seems like you have some kind of man-love thing going on, always worried about what I post!

That seems unhealthy at the least and I never have found boys that attractive!

Seems like you need to really work on your comprehension skills concerning what other people choose to post since you're not a Moderator sand ARv may not be a good place for you to pick up dates!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal animal animal animal dancing dancing dancing

You are one pathetic individual TG!

Do you HONESTLY believe that ANYONE on here really gives a shit about anything EITHER of us say????

You got a problem Francis, take it up with Don or Saeed!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here they are classified as a pest, government paid a bounty for a while, but we still haven't eliminated them Insidious is the term to apply to them. Originally introduced by farmers, looking for a new revenue stream, conventional wisdom held they couldn't survive our cold climate. wrong. Delisting them as a game animal would seem to be a good start.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
The question should why are there any restrictions on hunting hogs in any state.

Or any other invasive species.

In the case of CA it's because they are nanny state, over regulated, poorly run, socialist republic/dictatorship.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the case of CA it's because they are nanny state, over regulated, poorly run, socialist republic/dictatorship

Then what are the other states problems.

I started doing research on places to hunt hogs
al of the states that were complaining and I looked at about hog hunting have all kinds of restrictions on hunting them.

You would think they would have one line for hogs.

PLEASE COME TO ?? AND KILL THEM.

Here are maps, contacts ect.

But the regulations were reticules and information on spots where to find them was nonexistent.

But we have a huge hog problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Texas, TP&W does not care how hogs are killed or how many, it boils down to finding property a person can hunt on, and landowners here, don't just allow anyone/everyone on their property and they usually want to make a little $$$$$ for doing so.