THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    77 yr old Victoria TX woman kills 2 big gators

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

77 yr old Victoria TX woman kills 2 big gators
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
77-year-old Woman Kills Two Massive Alligators

September 13, 2007
COY SLAVIK - THE VICTORIA ADVOCATE

Gwendolyn Wunneburger never thought she would shoot an animal older than herself in this stage of her life.

On Wednesday, Wunneburger, 77, shot a 12-foot, 4-inch, 750-pound male alligator estimated to be around 80 years old. Just two hours earlier, she had shot another male alligator measuring 10 feet, 4 inches and weighing 650 pounds.

The 4-foot-5, 110-pound Wunneburger, who lives in Lakeway, has hunted wild game all over the world. She has stalked leopards in Africa and grizzly bear in Montana, but said Wednesday's hunt was one of her most exhilarating.

"Not many people go after big alligators because they're dangerous," she said Wednesday afternoon from Wild Woods Taxidermy in Nursery. "I can go out on my own and hunt deer. But I can't do anything with these things all by myself.

"Those alligators will come after you. They'll swing their big old tails and, if they get you with it, it's all over."

Longtime friend John Figer and others helped Wunneburger land the two alligators, which were later transported by trailer to Wild Woods Taxidermy, where taxidermist Robert Harris will prepare the largest animal for display. Figer said what began as a fun hunting outing with friends became a potentially dangerous situation.

"I think we were all scared," Figer said. "Trying to be cautious and not get hurt was the main thing."

The alligators were caught on a bayou at Paradise Ranch, which is located about 51/2 miles north of McFaddin near U.S. Highway 77. Figer said a pair of 13-footers have been captured in the same vicinity, but he had never seen two alligators over 10 feet caught on the same day and so close in proximity.

"It's very unusual to find two big bulls like these in one little area," Figer said. "We caught them about 50 yards apart."

Both alligators were caught with large hooks baited with whole chickens. Wunneburger, Figer and the rest of the hunting party were boating along the bayou when they spotted the 650-pounder resting on the bank with the hook firmly implanted in its throat.

"You have to be really careful when you come up to them, because if they get under the boat, they'll tip you over," Wunneburger said.

Wunneburger, who was a big fan of the late "Crocodile Hunter," Steve Irwin, went onto the bank and shot the alligator between the eyes from about 20 feet away. While pulling the alligator back to the trailer, they spotted the 750-pounder nearby on the bank tangled in the line. The alligator had gone into a "death roll" after being hooked and was practically immobilized.

After Wunneburger shot the second alligator, it was pulled by boat to the trailer. Figer had to use a four-wheeler to pull the animal on the trailer. During his attempt, the rope snapped and he had to "double-line" the alligator to get him on the trailer.

Wunneburger has been hunting since she was 11 years old. Born in Dripping Springs, which is 30 miles west of Austin, she hunted "mostly deer and varmints" in the Hill Country.

About the only thing Wunneburger enjoys as much as hunting is music. She plays rhythm guitar and sings for a band that performs for senior citizens in the Austin area.

Wunneburger, who sang a chorus of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" while sitting atop the 750-pound alligator, has performed with Willie Nelson and played roles as an extra in made-for-television movies "Red-Headed Stranger" and "Lonesome Dove." She met Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds on the set of "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" and one of her antique cars was used in the movie.

"Dolly is just as sweet as she can be, but Burt Reynolds is kind of a snob," she said.

Figer said there are anywhere from 200 to 300 alligators on the same bayou where the two big alligators were caught Wednesday. He said the animals feed on catfish, alligator gar, wild hogs and, occasionally, stray dogs and cats.

"We think there's a bigger still one out there," Figer said.

Wunneburger said she plans to go back to Africa to shoot a lion and she would like to go to Canada and bring back a black wolf and a lynx for her collection.

Even though she had never heard of the animal before, Wunneburger said she would consider coming here to hunt a chupacabra, the legendary creature that has been reportedly seen roaming the area.

"I'll get it," she said. "Just give me time."

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even though she had never heard of the animal before, Wunneburger said she would consider coming here to hunt a chupacabra, the legendary creature that has been reportedly seen roaming the area.

"I'll get it," she said. "Just give me time."

animal

Nice job on the gators -- hope she gets her lion.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She's 4 foot 5 inches? That's pretty short.

Gators are now flipping boats and sweeping people with their tails. It's getting rough down in TX. Wink

Any photos?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
My son and I are going 'gator "hunting" this afternoon. I guess I'd better bring my stopping rifle Wink

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
All this happened just downstream from my place on the Guadalupe River. Gators were unheard of until recently in this area. I've seen 2 small ones in the creek that runs through my property and the ranch across the river has a 5 footer in a stock tank.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Gwendolyn! Bet she has LOTS of stories for her grand kids!

~Ann

Posts: 19188 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
........gotta love a Texas woman!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Wunneburger, who sang a chorus of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" while sitting atop the 750-pound alligator,

Now I know I was born too late.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard