THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best State/Place to Hunt Black Bear in Lower 48

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best State/Place to Hunt Black Bear in Lower 48
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted
Lets hear it and what kindof prices?

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider being a bit more specific in terms of your question. Are you looking for the most inexpensize hunt? A very high percentage of kill? Ease of access? Bear size? Best all around experience? Baited hunt?

Many here will likely offer sugesstions, but I'll humbly suggest to you that your question needs modification.

Cheers.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I would suggest Idaho. I had an excellent hunt there for black bear last year. But in the wilderness areas for best results. I have an outfitter who works in the Selway-Bitterroots and the bears are thick there. You can hunt TWO for around $2500. Good chance at running into color there as well.

I took a very nice boar with my bow, he was black but had a very large cream colored patch on his chest. We have a real nice fly-in to pack-in hunt which was really in some beautiful country.

I could have shot two bears, the opportunity was there but I ended up with just this guy:

If you'd like to check my outfitter for a hunt drop me an email.

aspenhill@triton.net.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me be a bit more specific. After taking a boar with my 454 Taurus, I would like to also take a black bear with it, meaning 75 yards or less. Also, 400-500lbs would be very suitable, I am not looking to set records. Baiting or hounds would be good. As far as exspense, I see many 75-95% success places offering baited hunts for $700 so I would like to stay between that and $1500. I am all ears.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho! My son is there now, $1800, 5 days, hounds or bait. They still have opeingings for early June!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I gotta go with Idaho- $30 and some gas money....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Minnesota is a good bet. I know a guy there if you are interested. a lot less than Idaho.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are more Black Bear in Washington than any other State outside of Alaska. You can hunt unguided and be pretty sure of a 50-50 chance at a Bear.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
There are more Black Bear in Washington than any other State outside of Alaska. You can hunt unguided and be pretty sure of a 50-50 chance at a Bear.

Where in Washington? Any details? I know I didn't start the post but I'm also very interested.

Also very interested in Minn, AZwriter., who's the guy?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Dale Denney in Colville, WA a call(http://www.huntinfo.com/bearpaw.htm). He can fill you in on Fall season guided, semi, and unguided hunts.

Pud

quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
quote:

Where in Washington? Any details? I know I didn't start the post but I'm also very interested.

Posts: 107 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try here http://www.homestead.com/conmans/prices.html
we kill some of the biggest black bears killed in the 48 every season. 500-pound blacks are always around and we kill 5 or 6 of 600+ every year. Most bear guides will make it as hard or as easy as you need to feel satisfied.

Love Those .41s'

Posts: 80 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PA has 10,000 black bear .The last two seasons the biggest topped 800 lbs !!!Don't know about guided hunts though. See www.huntingpa.com

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
PA has 10,000 black bear .The last two seasons the biggest topped 800 lbs !!!Don't know about guided hunts though. See www.huntingpa.com

I'd like to hunt them in PA but the last couple of guys I spoke with that live there have hunted bears for 20 years and still haven't seen one. I do not know how good of a hunter these guys were but they sent me some pictures of plenty of deer they've killed, some quite big.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm scheduled for spring bear hunting in Idaho in June, so I've been doing some research.

The biggest black bears come from PA and the NC coastal areas, according to Boddington. Idaho has a lot of bears up north and generally has a high success rate. Also, they have color-phase bears. They allow baiting in Minnesota and Idaho (which adds to chance for success). Don't remember where else.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to hunt in MN, contact Kenny Bahr in International Falls (right on the border of Ontario). His number is 218-283-2473. This guy is 100% on bears (and no, I don't get a referral fee).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
quote:

Doc

The majority of WA Bears or on the West Side. I nt e late 60s and early 70 the Timber Co. were killing around 20000 bBears a year. Now they feed them instead in the Spring.

It is spot and stalk now as Hound Hunting and baiting has been banned. the Timber Co and the Trimbes are still allowed to use dogs and one of my employees says the tribe he belongs to takes about 1500 Bears a year off of Private Land.

Most Bear Hunters I know take about 2 days to get one. I culd drive over at least 2-3 every year in my truck.

I don't know about guides but there are some around, particularly on the Olympic Pennisula.

Try calling the local F&W officer. Thsy would know.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being from Maine, I've got to support our great black bear population. 200 lbs are not uncommon, and often hear of 400+ lbs. I think a guy took a 600+ pounder in the last year or two.

The biggest population black bear are in the east/central part of the state (northeast of Bangor, Maine).

I'm sure you could google up some bear guides in Maine. Try "sporting camps" Maine also.

Bear season starts in either late August or early September.

University of Maine's mascot is the black bear. It's also the state bird-no, wait, the state bird is black FLY (the mosquito as backup).

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a spring bear permit for wash. in the blue mtns. in 5 days of daylight to dark hunting i saw a sow and two cubs and a boar we couldn't get to before dark.nobody else has been seeing as many bears as usual they say due to lack of rain and no grass?? i would go on the idaho hunt in the selway supposed to be loaded with bear.

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Dale Denney a few years back and wasn't pleased. His guides were sleeping at all times of the day and his excuse was they needed to stay "fresh".

Anyway, weather was warm and we did not even have an opportunity to shoot.

Not a top notch professionally run organization, no offer to help us further after we had no opportunity. Too many excuses. Dale wasn't willing to help guide because he was busy with "applications" and arranging to keep horses at his residence. Lame BS.

I also did not appreciate cramming into his guide's Ford Ranger. I could tell you more.

I would not recommend nor will I hunt with his outfit again. He has a reputation but that is about all in my opinion.

Citius, altius, fortius

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any other places near the mideast/kentucky?

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I hunt PA every archery season for deer, and I've seen plenty of bear. The problem is that their season is so short that weather plays a huge part in seeing bear. Here's their seasons (firearms deer season runs Nov 28-Dec 10):

BLACK BEAR (Statewide): Nov. 21-23. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

BLACK BEAR (WMUs 3B, 3C, 3D, 4C and 4E): Nov. 28-Dec. 3. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

Here's the link to their excellent site: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc

NY is an option too, but no hounds or baiting allowed. The season is long and runs concurrent with the deer season - Sullivan county is where I'd go if I was looking for a good size bear ( http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/wildgame/bear.htm ):

Black Bear Regular Seasons
Catskill Range: November 21 - December 11
Allegany Range: November 26 - December 11

I don't have any guide info, but good luck.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
California has a liberal season and lots of Black Bear. You can use dogs if you want.

Cali has been hard to beat at the top of the B&C list in recent years.

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Gotta love Idaho. sofa

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of THellURider
posted Hide Post
Idaho with Heaven's Gate Outfitters. Darwin (no kidding) is a hardcore guide. He'll get you a bear, and you can do the hunt on horseback if you want for the really cool experience.

~Marcus

Posts: 47 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I don't know how it is now,but a few years ago a Fish and Game report for Idaho came out that said the Council area had 4-5 Bears per square mile.

Dunno now because my family doesn't like Bear meat.The wife loves the grease for baking but the boy won't touch it..A waist of my time to hunt them..

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any updates?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GILA COUNTY ARIZONA #1 in western USA

www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/ print/article/0,20068,676070,00.html - 14k -

San carlos Indian reservation April 8- 23 2006
lic $700 guide $750 trophy fee $750 call Perrison Cassidor 928 475-5492

I personally have taken 2 that will quilify for B&C hunting there I'll be ther hunting 20- 23april
Can't hunt earlier because I'll be hunting
11-15 april on the Quinalt Indian reservation $250 for 1st lic $125 for 2nd lic $1500 for guide call Jamie Lorton 360 942-7765. I talked to Jaime today sows are just now out rut should start this week season runs through may 30

I LOVE SPRING BEAR HUNTS

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sports Afield: BIGGER THAN THE AVERAGE BEARThe Boone and Crockett all-time record book lists more record bears from GiIa County, Arizona, than any other location, with more than thirty trophies in ...
www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ mi_qa3775/is_200408/ai_n9423947 - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

Big Bears in AZ

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks people, I love all the information!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
California has an estimated 30,000+ bears that don't hibernate in the southern warm portion of the state season starts 8-16 and ends 12-31 or as soon as 1700 bears have been killed last year 1418 were taken.Bears get big eating all year there are some estimated over 700 or larger.Hunting license for non-residents $121.55 & bear tag $206.50 this is a 2 deer state each deer tag for non-residents is $205.55. deer archery starts 7-08 ends 12-31 in archery calif has wild boar open all year non resident tags are $55.90 a piece with no limit.Non residents can't hunt roosevelt,rocky mtn or tule elk or antelope but they can apply for big horn sheep most of them are in san bernardino county.We have seasons on mtn quail,valley quail,grouse ,chukar,bandtail pigeon,dove,ducks & geese,cottontails,gray squirrels.Collared Dove are an invasive species.Coyote and jackrabbit are open all year

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anymore links to guides will be greatly appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My family has hunted bear in the Allegheny Nat'l Forest every year since 1978. We have got several. Our success has increased lately. Bears are more populus now and we have a group of about 10-15 folks and we drive/push from sunrise until sunset every day. We usually get one each year unless it was really hot. We always see at least one bear. It is hard work and the success rate is low. The BIG bears normally come from Lycoming county and others where the laurel is really thick and lots of private land. I would advise against a do-it-yourself hunt in PA.

Now for the good news. I have hunted the Selway with Ken Smith for elk (Hunting Idaho) and saw some really big bears. We were elk hunting so we had to pass on the bears (no tags)but my father and I are planning a return trip for spring bear. He runs a great camp and his wife is an AMAZING cook. The succuss rate is supposed to be pretty high. He is out of my price range now for elk since Jim Zumbo has made him somewhat popular. Go with him and maybe I'll see ya there...

RH

Posts: 79 | Location: Northwest Atlanta | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in a California bear hunt with dogs drop me a line. My buddy has the guide license for Klamath, Siskiyou, and Trinity in Northern California. Absolutely beautiful country with good chance for a color phase bear and the price is really reasonable. I can't believe California hasn't stopped it yet like they did the mountain lion hunts.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:

Forget PA. There's actually a good deal more than 10,000 bears in this state and a pretty good argument that we have the biggest ones in the lower 48. But the season's three days long in most of the state and there's absolutely no baiting or hounds. The main method is driving with a big gang of guys (which is pretty hard to bring with you from somewhere else). The only remotely "do-able" deal would be in the north-eastern tier where they extend bear season tho coincide with the first week of deer. You might have a chance there.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I killed a nice 265 boar over bait in Maine with Cedar Ridge Outfitters. Hal has a good book out on deer hunting as well. He is quoted in a couple of outdoor mags in the last few years on a number of topics. The food is great, the cabins wonderful. A true gentleman's hunt. Plus, fly Southwest to New Hampshire, rent a car, drive to Jackman with some sightseeing along the Maine coast, a stop at LL Bean and a couple of lobster dinners along the way. What's not to like!!

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Western Outdoor News 6-16-06 issue Cal Dept of Fish and Game estimates Cal has an estimated population of Ursus americana between 30,000 and 35,000. The archery season opens 8/19 and runs thru 9/10/06.The rifle season begins late in Sept when the deer season starts closing the end of Dec or until the quota of 1700 bear tags have been reported.Weapons allowed are bows with a minimum of 55 lbs pull,muzzle loaders,centerfire rifles suggested caliber minimum 30-30 and suggested minimum 41mag cal handgun and up. To hunt bear in Cal a hunter must be 12 yrs of age or older,have a valid license and bear tag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
www.foxnews.com has a neat video of a bear in NJ . He went to sleep in someones hammock. It's the old hammock trap !! clap