THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Lady's Deer Rifle and sighting in made easy

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lady's Deer Rifle and sighting in made easy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
As may of you know, I have a daughter who loves to hunt. In fact, in 10 days we'll be in Manitoba on a bear hunt. But this thread is about a lady's/youth rifle for deer in the U.S.

I've enjoyed reading and learing from several threads on a child's (or a lady's) first rifle and just have had the joy of selecting/modifing one for Emmy.

I found a "new" Remington 700 with the synthetic stock on GunBroker that a dealer had on his shelf for several years. I got a great discount ($300 plus $25 shipping) because the original box and paperwork was lost and the gun had several dings from customers' handling. It is a .270 Winchester which I thought would do just fine because the recoil is mild and it is big enough to shoot an elk or a black bear with 150 grain Partitions (or the like) if need be.

I had the trigger lightened to 2.5 lbs, shortened the stock to 12.5", shaped and reinstalled the pad, cut the barrel to 20" from 24' (which will cut down the velocity a bit, of course), free-floated the barrel and bedded the action. I think the shorter barrel makes the gun balance better, lightens it up some and the noise didn't seem bad at all at the range. I put on a Bushnell Elite 3200 with the FireFly reticle and Weaver-style mounts and rings. The scope cost $126 on Ebay.com including shipping (with a slight ring mark). Wow!

Today, I shot it for the first time and it took all of five shots to get it perfect.

Here's my three-step sighting-in method.

First, I boresighted the rifle/scope and that shot was several inches to the right and an inch low. I then placed the gun in a portable cleaning vise, put the cross-hairs back on the bullseye and, without letting the rifle (or the vise) move, while looking through the scope, adjusted the cross-hairs over and down to cover the bullet hole.

I removed the vise and then fired again, the bullet actually cut the intersection of the centerlines in the bullseye!

I then gave the scope 6 "up" 1/4 inch clicks and fired a three shot group (at the center of the bottom left squares on the target below) and the results speak for themselves. All touching each other, 1.75" high at 100 yards. This 5/8" group is with plain ol' Remington Core-Lokt, 130 grain bullets which cost me less than $20 a box at WallyWorld.

I don't think that Emmy will have any excuses on a big buck next year!

Here's Emmy's rifle. It weighs about 7.3 lbs with the scope.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emmy is a lucky girl to have a dad like you.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Actually, it is the other way around. She just called from Athens (University of Georgia) where she'll be graduated on Friday, cum laude, btw.

How many dads have daughters who want a bear hunt and a rifle for their graduation present? I'm the lucky one.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Actually, it is the other way around. She just called from Athens (University of Georgia)where she'll be graduated on Friday, cum laude, btw.

How many dads have daughters who want a bear hunt and a rifle for their graduation present? I'm the lucky one.

Your living the dream sir!

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sir, both on your daughters graduation with such an honor and on the way the rifle turned out. tu2 tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to beat a Rem for value, or in any other way really. It's great that you gave her one, instead of a "high end" rifle. It leaves her a lot to look forward to in the future! Not that it'll shoot any better.. Man I love the way you're doing it!

I plan on doing the same with my 3yo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool! Congratulations to her. tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Well done! tu2

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Nice! Please tell Ms Emmy I said "Hello and Congratulations" on her graduation. Good luck to you both on the bear hunt!!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
very nice rifle

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That sighting-in method is the old three shot sight in. I've used that simple method for years, and it works.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And just think, the way that rifle shoots, you have enough ammo left over for years of hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heartiest conratulations, Judge. I know how you feel. My son just graduated law school, his mother had the pleasure of hooding him because she went to the same school, AND he has a great job starting in October. Unfortunately, he isn't keen on hunting. Oh well.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote